PS3 RSX=NVxx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what developer Shootmymonkey (this post is from PSINext) had to say:

Because of all the overclocked 7900 cards out there, I think few people know what the official spec'ed clock of the 7900 is -- RSX's is higher, btw. And the internal design specs are basically identical except for number of active ROPs. The 7900 has the greater fillrate, but RSX has the greater computational power. You can easily contrive a clear victory for either, but the practical differences won't be huge -- that's really what I was trying to say.

So overall RSX performance is basically a 7900.

I think he must have slipped up on the 7800/7900 distinction there. 7800 runs at a standard 430Mhz, 7900 runs at a standard 650Mhz. RSX is 500Mhz. Clearly computationally faster than the standard 7800 and slower than the standard 7900.

Don't forget there is a 7900GT with the same configuration of pipes as the GTX but clocked at about 480MHz ish? maybe he ment that one.

I saw this post of cpias/shoot and that in accordance with some informs (internet,developers forums) the RSX has with aggregate use flexIO 20/35GB/sec similar performance to Geforce 7900GT.

(off topic ...and Xenos/R-500/C1 would have similar performance of a R-520/Radeon X1800XTX)

Last edited by a moderator:
whereas G70 (and so G71) upped that to MUL + MUL. So, G7x is an upgrade, but I don't know how significant of one. I'm sure someone's clocked a 7800 and a 7900 identically and compared synthetic test #s. Alternatively, 7800GTX (256MB) and 7900GT are pretty evenly clocked.[/i]

the pixel shader of g7x(g70/g71/g73) can do two MADs per cycle, not two MULs.

I know this is off of Wiki but it seems pretty clear.

Staff at NVIDIA were quoted in PlayStation Magazine saying that the "RSX shares a lot of inner workings with NVIDIA 7800 which is based on G70 architecture. Since the G70 is capable of carrying out 136 shader operations per clock cycle, the RSX is expected to feature the same number of parallel pixel and vertex shader pipelines as the G70, which contains 24 pixel and 8 vertex pipelines.[citation needed]

RSX will be clocked at 550MHz, which is identical to the older G70-based high-end 7800GTX 512 MB (550MHz), and significantly lower than the current G71 architecture to which can achieve clocks of 650 MHz (featured on G71-based 7900GTX) or more.

Ok let's label the RSX a 7850 and call it a day.

Be careful: If the chip's name is mentioned 3 times while staring into a screen Babcat is summoned.:oops:

Noriyuki Shimoda: The video chip on the Lindbergh and the PS3 is the same, so with that part we didn't have much difficulty. But the CPU is different.

NS: Regarding the rumor that you heard that Lindbergh and Xbox 360 hardware are closer, that's not actually true. The PS3 is closer because of the same video chip

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3155915

so developers says that rsx is the same of a 6800GT

Edit:
several persons are giving a lot of bad reputation point to this reply
I thought that readers was smart enought to understand that those words are not mine but from a dev

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ok, maybe "never" was abit over the top but if it does get a CPU bottleneck, it wont be very often :)

Basically "we dont care " what happens when cpu is the bottleneck. My point of this thread is this question:"If we could make a PCie card with the RSX on it where this card would be placed in terms of perfomance relative to the other cards?"
(when something is CPU botllenecked then this happens for all the cards as the CPU bottleneck comes from advanced Physics and AI algorithms).

In order to answer the above question , things go a bit complicated because of the FlexIO connection of the RSX.
If it was only the 128-bit bus connection to the GDDR3 then it is clear to me that this "hypothetic RSX card" is something inbetween a 7600 and a 7800(we could call it a 7700). However if the FlexIO connection gives indeed additional bandwidth and this bandwidth can be used to transfer texture and vertex data still we could argue that due to the lack of ROPs(RSX has half the ROPs of a 7800GTX) that this "hypothetic card" wouldnt be better than a 7800GTX.

I think he must have slipped up on the 7800/7900 distinction there. 7800 runs at a standard 430Mhz, 7900 runs at a standard 650Mhz. RSX is 500Mhz. Clearly computationally faster than the standard 7800 and slower than the standard 7900.
IIRC, that original thread was bringing up the 7900 GT, not the GTX. The 7900 GT is clocked at a standard 450 MHz with a memory clock of 660 MHz. It's the GTX that's clocked at 650 MHz standard with a memory clock of 800 MHz.

There's still plenty of GT/GS cards which are sold pre-overclocked, so you can find plenty of 550+ MHz 7900 GT/GS cards out there, which was the point I was making at the beginning.

IIRC, that original thread was bringing up the 7900 GT, not the GTX. The 7900 GT is clocked at a standard 450 MHz with a memory clock of 660 MHz. It's the GTX that's clocked at 650 MHz standard with a memory clock of 800 MHz.

There's still plenty of GT/GS cards which are sold pre-overclocked, so you can find plenty of 550+ MHz 7900 GT/GS cards out there, which was the point I was making at the beginning.

Thanks for the clarification ;)

RSX will be clocked at 550MHz, which is identical to the older G70-based high-end 7800GTX 512 MB (550MHz), and significantly lower than the current G71 architecture to which can achieve clocks of 650 MHz (featured on G71-based 7900GTX) or more.

Actually, RSX is more or less confirmed to run at 500 MHz.

Now now. In context he ment "basically the same" i.e. very similar architecture. We know there are differences, as stated many times on this forum.
Somehow, as I read the interview, it seems more like he's saying "We don't have to do anything different graphically -- i.e. everything rendering-wise we can run on Lindbergh, we can run on RSX without any extra work." Which, to a certain extent, you can say of Xenos as well.

If you wanted to talk architecture, you might as well say that the RSX is highly similar to a "gigantified" NV20.

the pixel shader of g7x(g70/g71/g73) can do two MADs per cycle, not two MULs.
Thanks, corrected. I knew that, too, but my brain outwitted itself on the way to my hands.

In my defense, clearly I was insane at the time of that posting.

And let's not forget that most games will use RSX on the PS3 with a relatively low resolution (for PC standards anyway) of 1280 x 720.
Even with 2xAA, that bandwidth resource seems balanced enough for the overall system needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back