Nvidia and EA Form an Alliance

Friends, the danger is real, look at this :

"Electronic Arts has a tremendous track record for developing games that can be enjoyed by consumers of all ages and both the hardcore and casual gamer alike. By exclusively adopting NVIDIA hardware for their worldwide studios, EA is escalating the creative palette of its 3D artists and programmers," said Dan Vivoli, executive vice president of marketing at NVIDIA. "Our FX family of GPUs were designed to usher in an era of cinematic computing, and we couldn’t be more thrilled that EA has signed on to help us meet our goal."

Hellbinder[CE said:
]
Remember the "The way it's meant to be played"-campaign? Or Cg? None of these brought us a second "Glide" as some of us expected, or did they?
Good grief.... :rolleyes:

Things like this do not happen in a couple days now do they....

You have to be completely blind, or in complete denial not to see the overall pattern and direction of events. Exclusive deals, likely means some form of exclusinve support, likely means more exclusive use of CG and other things, means Nvidias name and tech on the box, means people at the store think they need Nvidia cards becuase 50% of the games on the shelf say so.. right on the box.

Actually I kinda agree, but I don't see the point, ATI can do the same thing give free cards to dev's and get deals right? Or are they not allowed

It is that *exclusively adopting* part that sounds nasty...
better be non-nvidia cards in the test machines and a lot of testing done on them, because given the GeForceFX's penchant so far to perform like arse with any real pixel shader ops unless they're coded all wacky it sounds like it could be messy...

Edit: It also probably means no PS1.4 fallbacks, only PS1.1-1.3 since I imagine that CG will go along with all those dev cards... Gets more and more icky the more I think about it...

Sxotty said:
Hellbinder[CE said:
]
Remember the "The way it's meant to be played"-campaign? Or Cg? None of these brought us a second "Glide" as some of us expected, or did they?
Good grief.... :rolleyes:

Things like this do not happen in a couple days now do they....

You have to be completely blind, or in complete denial not to see the overall pattern and direction of events. Exclusive deals, likely means some form of exclusinve support, likely means more exclusive use of CG and other things, means Nvidias name and tech on the box, means people at the store think they need Nvidia cards becuase 50% of the games on the shelf say so.. right on the box.

Actually I kinda agree, but I don't see the point, ATI can do the same thing give free cards to dev's and get deals right? Or are they not allowed
Your missing the point, programming specifically for a particular technology is bad for the community, I would be just as disapointed if it was ATI doing this. I know that this all revolves around the almighty dollar, and supporting a game company can be seen as healthy by some, but the actual motives behind Nvidia's move here makes the good gesture completely null and void. I dont want to see a slew of games being developed that I know would run better on a GeForce card...over my ATI board.

IceKnight said:
I dont care, since, I dont like EA games at all.
You WOULD care if Nvidia bought off the game company you favor....(unless you own a GeForce board).....that was kinda a not too smart post.

Does anyone think that this deal cost Nvidia a few graphic boards? lol

This deal cost MULTIPLE MILLIONS of DOLLARS. Of course that is my educated guess but that is the reality. EA would not do this for peanuts. Not a huge deal like this. A one-off, one title deal, maybe, but not EA, not that many titles.

nooneyouknow said:
Does anyone think that this deal cost Nvidia a few graphic boards? lol

This deal cost MULTIPLE MILLIONS of DOLLARS. Of course that is my educated guess but that is the reality. EA would not do this for peanuts. Not a huge deal like this. A one-off, one title deal, maybe, but not EA, not that many titles.
I agree completely...

WTF is wrong with ATI? :?

If they don't start playing the same game Nvidia is playing, they will have a tough road ahead.

Nvidia is slowly becoming like Intel, and ATI is becoming similar to AMD.

The majority of consumers will feel comfortable buying Intel, simply becuase they don't know AMD.

If the NV logo is plastered accross game boxes all over the world, slowly consumers will start feeling comfortable about buying Nv equiped hardware, simply becuase they don't ATI exists.

Wake up ATI!

well not in the market segment which consists of people playing games.
Overall market share doesn't count much here because no one with an intel graphics chipset plays games.
I think that 32% number still is a littlebit to small considering overall market share.
I think its more like 35 to 40%.

Richthofen said:
well not in the market segment which consists of people playing games.
Overall market share doesn't count much here because no one with an intel graphics chipset plays games.
I think that 32% number still is a littlebit to small considering overall market share.
I think its more like 35 to 40%.

And from where did you pull this number? Maybe you should wash it before displaying it! ;) You really need to think before you pull this stuff out in the daylight. :p

nooneyouknow said:
The only problem that I see if that the mainstream market people will think that this means they need Nvidia hardware to get the best experience in their EA games. ...

This is a first in a series of nVidia shock and awe campaigns and EA just happen to be the first place where a regime change was badly needed according to the Santa Clara based company. But so far no casualties have been reported from the nVidia camp. ;)

Agreed, this is the start. Well, actually, UT 2003 was the start.

It is a shame that an IHV has to buy support when the other gets it for free. The other can't tell anyone due to these types of agreements though.

Does anyone recall Nvidia's comment way back in the day when 3DFX was pulling this crud?

I think the publishers like these types of deal but I doubt many developer do. Being shoved down their throats as they rarely see any of this money.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Fuz, Ati have 19% of market share (I think I last seen) and nVidia have 32%. :)

Well, if Nv succeed with this marketing campaign, I think the figures could change quite a bit in a few years... in Nv's favour.

I remember many years back, the "Voodoo" branding worked wonders for 3Dfx. Customers just asked for a Voodoo card with out knowing anything about graphics cards, just because they had seen and heard the name Voodoo in almost every pc magazine.

You don't need the best hardware in the industry to be the most successful.

Brand recognition is a powerful tool.

Most game developers/publishers try to expand the size of their potential market, not limit it. There's just going to be some groovy CG enhancements to EA games and ATI cards will still be used from a development and QA as well.

Seems to me it could potentially make it a bit more challenging for ODMs/IHVs to develop creative bundles that will assist in their differentiation efforts. I'd like to see the details on how this could affect pricing on both sides and what kind of model they're using.

EA has a solid brand and isn't lacking in brand awareness.

As JR said, it's just marketing, not a big deal. Enough with the doom and gloom.

Fuz marketshare numbers are misleading the last two quarters Nvidia has been meeting earnings through volume and pricing.
Now Nvidia is looking down the barrel of a gun, their next generation products by and large underperform the old GF4 seriers and obviously because of lack of volume cost more to produce.

So they've got a faustian decision to make, keep the volume up on the GF4 and sell at a low price to OEMs to entice them which in turn causes the volume on the GF FX line to suck and them to get bad press over a failed product line.
Or switch over to the GF FX line which is inferior to ATi's DX9 parts and fight an uphill battle(more like losing) battle to retain OEM dominace.

Looks to me like they're doing the former and insanely rushing to get to their next generation of parts.

Theres more to numbers than meets the eye.

Back