Do You Plan On Buying/Having Vista At Launch?

I won't go near it unless:
a: somehow I get a free version & even then I'll only do it for the shiny & games that require vista.
b: it winds up having some special, secret Must Have stuff that will make my life 10 times better & the crap is actually only minor, fixable or ignorable.

I personally feel this is the biggest change to the core Windows architecture since 3.1 -> 95. As such, I'll be buying it for my main rig somewhere around the end of Q1 next year, and I likely will not be upgrading any of my current hardware to do it.

4Ghz Prescott, 2GB DDR533, 500gb of drive space, DVDR and CDRW, 7900GT 512mb video, Envy 24PT audio and a CSA-connected gigabit Intel nic are going to be just fine... I'll probably even buy two copies so my Dell E1505 (Core Duo, 2GB DDR667, 80GB hd, DVDRW, 7300Go) can have one too, albeit a "lighter" copy more than likely compared to my desktop.

I've spent the last three weeks with Vista RTM on a Dell Optiplex 620, my Dell E1505 listed above, and an IBM R50 (1.7g banias core, 2gb ram, 40gb drive, DVDR, intel nic, ATI 7500 mobility 32mb) with zero issues. It boots faster than XP, it launches my apps faster than XP, it is far more responsive on my single-processor machine when doing intensive tasks, my battery life on both laptops got better and app compatibility on the stuff I use is just fine.

I still see people bashing Vista for being "slow and bloated and cumbersome and glitchy" and then in the same breath state they're on Build 5280 or RC1 or something. Maybe those of you who aren't using or trying the RTM should re-try and see what you've been missing.

I actually liked the Release Candidate. But that doesnt mean Ill be plopping down cash for it when it shows up.

WinXP works great and should work great until I need 4GB of ram. So I give WinXP about a 2-4 more year lifespan for me.

Ive tried the public betas, release candidates, and even the final RTM. In all cases I checked them out for a couple weeks each time and promptly nuked them in favor of XP.

I have found absolutely nothing in Vista, not even in the final RTM, that makes it a "Gotta Have" release. Further the cost of the Ultimate here in Canada is insane. Definitely NOT worth the cost for me - I will stick to XP.

Maybe in a couple years when patches stop coming for XP I will revisit Vista again but I will NOT be buying it at release.

"Do you plan on ..."

my general advice : why plan about that. don't plan too much.
what I have trouble undestanding, is the "new PC for Vista" meme. especially on forums where everyone and his/her dog has a nice powerful PC with 1GB ram or more, DX9 GPU, decent CPU. well, I understand it because of the evil OEM license scheme, but I don't see other reasons, even hardware specs. (an older PC with Vista and no/few crap at start up will feel faster than a new one under XP with real player/Acer shit/Dell shit/norton/desktop search/logitech crap/camera crap/shit auto loading etc.)
I hate how forums are always self-hyping those things. "gotta upgrade to play doom3" (duh, would have run great on that ti4600 you sold a year before), "OMG HL2", "oh shit I have to get HDCP", "new PC for vista".

what I have to say : who gives a shit about the OS anyway. It's an important part of using your computer, but not that much. I'll still be using the same software, my games won't go away.
Even the change from 98SE to XP/2003 wasn't that big for me (I'm still using firefox, winamp, MPC and playing games; and the UI is not much different once you've spent time cleaning the XP clutter).
Yes, I know NT 5.x is way better than 9x (except for playing DOS or some older win32 games), I actually enjoy how it's much better under the hood, and explorer.exe and rogue processes can reliably be killed.

Vista won't be as much of a change (yet still a significant one, but will mostly affect gaming in an incremental way. is that such a big deal.). you can't hardly be hurt by not jumping on the wagon and only upgrading when you're actually interested and million other people will have dealt with the OS before you.
Vista is not evil, but I don't care that much and when I have it there'll be :
- SP1 (and why not SP1a, etc.)
- mature drivers (and utility software and stuff)
- customization (involving or not modifying files), removal of clutter .. those topics will be more known when lots of people will have used the OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was quite an interesting read on Vista's content protection system.

Executive Summary
-----------------

Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to
provide content protection for so-called "premium content", typically HD data
from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs
considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical
support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not
only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the
protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever
come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista (for
example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This document
analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral
damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry.

Does anybody have a summary of Vista's DRMish features that isn't full of anti MS/DRM rhetoric? Why don't people understand that just presenting the facts without a pile of obvious hate is the best way to get people to listen and understand?

This was quite an interesting read on Vista's content protection system.

The changes outlined in that document are required for any system that's going to use DRM-protected data, be it from HD-DVD, BluRay or anywhere else. It's not Vista specific, and the guy who wrote that article is a toolbox for a ton of the (incorrect) things he's written.

I don't even know where he got half of it, especially the whole stability / performance / cost / support bit. It's going to be the exact same problems that any other platform will have, to include his favorites. Microsoft didn't invent DRM and honestly doesn't seem that much involved -- the only reason Vista has support for it is because it's an obvious need. Who wants a brand new OS that has no support for DRM-protected content? Almost nobody.

OS/X and (much more difficult) Linux are going to be the ones hurting, if anything.

I've just installed Vista on a Sony Vaio Laptop, 14" Screen, 512mb of Ram, ATi Mobility, DVD Rom.

After installation, it only installed the network card and had issues finding drivers for the internal wifi and some HID devices. When I configured the Internet, resolving this was a snap. Just right click and then install driver. Select go out to the internet and drivers will magically be installed. No prompting or fuss. At least thats what it seemed like.

Compare that, to a fresh install of XP and I would have to find the drivers off the OEM disk, or be forced to use their own build.

Current first impressions, its gonna take a bit of time to get used to how things have moved around. But I like the changes. I dont have a DX9 card, so AERO is out. But the system feels more responsive than XP. I only have nod32, ad muncher, msn live 8 and daemon tools running. Which is all I need really.

I hate the UAC nag screen. If someone comes up with a way, of turning this system off, it would be great.

Only problem I have, is with Windows Media Player 11. Video is stuck on slow mo. Granted, I have only tried DIVX content. Settings are the same as XP. So I dont know what the issue is. Im sure I will resolve it.

I dont game on this laptop, so I cant comment. But so far, thumbs up really. I havent lost anything by upgrading. If anything, have gained.

Well, it will mainly depend on the performance of the 8800GTX Vista driver, but once that is sorted, I'll buy Vista Home Premium. I kinda expect Photoshop performance to improve a bit from the better multitasking and memory handling of Vista.

I think I will wait to see how the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista develop re sales of the Vista operating system and development and sales of software applications for the 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista, if the 64 bit version of Vista takes off sales wise and gets a whole heap of third party 64 bit applications for it, I'll buy the 64 bit Vista, if not I will not be buying the 32 bit instead as I allready have Windows XP home edition SP2 and Windows XP Professional x64 and I do not want to buy a 32 bit Vista only to have to upgrade it to a 64 bit Vista not long after.

Best and Warm Regards
Zapata

Fairly certain every Vista disk contains every version of it, from Home Basic to Ultimate and the 32-bit and 64-bit as well.

Fairly certain every Vista disk contains every version of it, from Home Basic to Ultimate and the 32-bit and 64-bit as well.

that is correct.

If you use froogle some places list specifically one or the other for some reason (perhaps some cheap OEM upgrade license which shouldnt be there in the first place), but with retail versions both are included on the same disc. It will ask for which one you would like if it detects hardware that supports the 64-bit version.

Well, after a few days of running Vista for a really good while. I do actually like it.

Im running it primarily on a laptop. For the graphics card in it. ATi Mobility M6 (7000), Vista couldnt detect or install the proper drivers for it. Im running the 7200 drivers, but WMP11 cant run in full screen. Im hoping that the author of the mod tool @ driverheaven, adds vista support and this should fix it.

Im running RemotelyAnywhere on my "server" box. It crashes whenever you close it, also never remembers the settings I was using. XP was fine.

Hibernate and recover from Hibernate is much faster than XP. So im liking that.

I've gotten used to the Start Menu, I would say it was a good choice to re-organise.

Memory management is much better and having the personal area underneath your login name for downloads, videos, etc.

If it wasnt for the UAC, which im keeping for the timebeing. It would actually be an awesome OS. Shame it isnt advanced in features as OS X, but there we go. Hopefully SP1/SP2 puts paid to that.

Back