Cross media bar in other sony products

XMB has a Wikipedia entry. It's featured in Highend Wega TVs. Seems destined to become the de facto Sony interface, which I always thought was the idea.

I can understand why Sony wants to do that... but they need to hire a Desktop Architect to keep simplifying and extending it for various use cases. One UI doesn't usually scale automatically for all devices (in usability sense).

The first device was the PSX... Then there were a couple of experimental PS2s using it (never publically sold), then the HVX model VVEGAs, then the PSP, then the PS3 and x200 series ES AV recievers....

patsu said:
I can understand why Sony wants to do that... but they need to hire a Desktop Architect to keep simplifying and extending it for various use cases. One UI doesn't usually scale automatically for all devices (in usability sense).

Most of the devices are similar in functionality and the UI started on a device with a ton of functionality to begin with. Besides it's not like the same UI is just jammed into the next device (although to some it may appear that way).

The first device was the PSX... Then there were a couple of experimental PS2s using it (never publically sold), then the HVX model VVEGAs, then the PSP, then the PS3 and x200 series ES AV recievers....

Most of the devices are similar in functionality and the UI started on a device with a ton of functionality to begin with. Besides it's not like the same UI is just jammed into the next device (although to some it may appear that way).

I think XMB works well in PSP (due to small screen and palm top usage), but it can use a few improvements in a large screen environment (e.g., font size adjustment, remote control centric), and even more improvements in PS3 with motion sensing controller and built-in network capability.

I don't think they are the same even though all of them have "a ton of functionality". There are things that can be done more efficiently/effectively by taking into consideration the specific use case and user environment (e.g., context sensitive menu)... rather than hopping through so many icons to get to the task I want to access. The difference may be subtle now but it will be obvious when compared to another easier to use device from Apple, Nintendo and MS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japanese model Bravias XBRs use the XMB now. Apparently it has PS2 components inside it to drive the graphical interface.

Synergy in action.

BTW. I have one annoyance caused by some PS3 games not meshing well with the XMB and the gameos. In the XMB O is yes and X is no. This should make sense to most people.

But in some games like RR7, O is no or go back, and X is yes! When you do something like save a replay to disk, or interface with your friends list, control switches over to the gameos, and all of a sudden O is yes and X is no.

Sony needs to push game developers to stick to a single format and not just choose arbitrarily what buttons to use. At least define best practices for creating game menus so that the transitions between gameos functionality and the game itself does not feel awkward.

I read somewhere that it was caused by Sony due to cultural differences between Japan and the Western world.

X means no and O is yes in Far East
X is execute, and O for backing out in US

... or was it the other way round. I am confused too ^_^

x means no here in the US

Well, FWIW, in Italy we (they) use X instead of "for" when they want to be quick - even though i'm not sure why one would need to get even shorter than 3 letters... guess one letter always wins... so for example, "for you" is "x te" in teens' (and not so teens!) text messages...

Archie said:
Then there were a couple of experimental PS2s using it (never publically sold)
This is interesting - you think there's a chance to revive that ever?
This was just discussed at Gaf the other day, a revised PS2 with XMB + access to PS store (change ports to USB2.0 for storage devices) could be a pretty interesting thing to continue selling PS2 strongly into next several years, as well as get more people familiarized with XMB.

A uniform UI across all Sony devices is a strong identity and sell. Bringing *existing* PS2s to Playstation Network will be very impactful.

BTW. I have one annoyance caused by some PS3 games not meshing well with the XMB and the gameos. In the XMB O is yes and X is no. This should make sense to most people.

But in some games like RR7, O is no or go back, and X is yes! When you do something like save a replay to disk, or interface with your friends list, control switches over to the gameos, and all of a sudden O is yes and X is no.

Sony needs to push game developers to stick to a single format and not just choose arbitrarily what buttons to use. At least define best practices for creating game menus so that the transitions between gameos functionality and the game itself does not feel awkward.
Thats really weird, since the function of these buttons was part of the TRC during the ps2 era. For Japanese titles, O would be "ok", while in US titles X would have been the accept button. It could be that either that specific part of the TRC wasnt met by Ridge Racer 7, but was ignored in order to make it in time for the ps3 launch. It is not surprisefull to see those kinds of things sliping in launch titles though, since most of those are rushed in order to make it in time.

I read somewhere that it was caused by Sony due to cultural differences between Japan and the Western world.

X means no and O is yes in Far East
X is execute, and O for backing out in US
I don't think X and O specifically are associated with anything in a generalised West. X makes more sense to me as it's a more natural thumb positoin than the O button. Typically in games I expect Triangle to be cancel/exit, and that seems to be the case on the whole. I think Driver was responsible for ingraining that behaviour.

In European and American PS2 game releases it always seems to be that way. O is cancel/exit, X is accept. Even in PSX games. At least Final Fantasy 8,9,X,X-2, Dragon Quest 8 and Star Ocean 3, western releases, do it this way.

If you say it always has been different I'd guess that there really are different guidelines for Japanese game releases and that the problem is simply that Ridge Racer hasn't been adapted properly for the western/eastern control guidelines.

How about other games?

I'm pretty sure the PS2/PS3 US TRC recommends you use X as the accept/okay button (I'm sure a dev can confirm/deny this). The only PS2 game I can think of that actually goes against this for menus is the metal gear solid games (which just use the JP button config in all versions, IIRC).

In JP X is generally the cancel and O is the accept for playstation games.

In the US PS3 O is cancel/back and X is accept/okay. The PS3 standard save screen requires you to "go back" afterwards, that's why it uses the O button -- it's sort of counterintuitive in some ways, as X is the accept/okay button and you'd think you'd want to be hitting "okay" or "confirm" in that case.

More on topic: I love the XMB -- it's probably my favorite UI I've seen/used (on any consumer electronic device outside of a PC). I hope they start using it on all their products (SE phones too!). There's obviously some room for improvement here and there, but the base functionality I love (I like the horizontal and vertical style menu system).

This is interesting - you think there's a chance to revive that ever?
This was just discussed at Gaf the other day, a revised PS2 with XMB + access to PS store (change ports to USB2.0 for storage devices) could be a pretty interesting thing to continue selling PS2 strongly into next several years, as well as get more people familiarized with XMB.

Isn't that the PS3 ;)

I'm pretty sure the PS2/PS3 US TRC recommends you use X as the accept/okay button (I'm sure a dev can confirm/deny this). The only PS2 game I can think of that actually goes against this for menus is the metal gear solid games (which just use the JP button config in all versions, IIRC).

In JP X is generally the cancel and O is the accept for playstation games.

In the US PS3 O is cancel/back and X is accept/okay.

Yeah, this is what I meant. They should just make it 1 standard (In the meantime, abstract it so that the user get to choose until everyone is switched over).

More on topic: I love the XMB -- it's probably my favorite UI I've seen/used (on any consumer electronic device outside of a PC). I hope they start using it on all their products (SE phones too!). There's obviously some room for improvement here and there, but the base functionality I love (I like the horizontal and vertical style menu system).

Don't get me wrong. I like it too since it clarifies the structure and set up (kinda like sitemap of a website). It's also a great marketing move to enforce a uniform look & feel across their products.

I hope Sony will continue to improve it (e.g., add more "shortcuts") to the normal use cases in the future.

This sort of thing is what happens when you use some gimmicky, unintuitive naming convention for your buttons. I'm not much of a playstation user, but any instances that require pressing a particular button at a particular time annoy the crap out of me simply because knowing which button is where and what it does doesn't make immediate sense.

The A/B X/Y makes a lot of sense at least in English since you know that letter index increases as you move forward and to the right on the controller. (A/B being the lowest letters are on the bottom left). The fact that major buttons are also identified by sensible and readily visible COLOR (green go, red stop) on other consoles only further illustrates the asinine crap that is the Sony controller button system.

Back