Urban myths

Last summer on our summer gottage it was VERY easy to hear ducks echo. I just heard this myth a week before hearing the echo, and the echo was very clear.

The mere idea that anything can produce a non-reflective sound wave is amazingly absurd it's nuts they had to "investigate" it.

no, the UK will get closer but earth doesnt move closer or farther away. The earth tilts forward or backward so the polar points move.

To be clear, I think you are correctly claiming that seasons are caused by the earth's tilt on its axis, and not saying that the earth never moves closer or farther away from the sun during its orbit. Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/seasons_orbit.html

that webpage said:
The Earth's orbit is very close to being a perfect circle, but not quite. It is somewhat elliptical, which means that the distance between the Earth and the Sun varies over the course of the year. This effect is too weak to cause the seasons, but it might have some influence over their severity. The remainder of this page explains this possibilty.

The Earth reaches perihelion - the point in its orbit closest to the Sun - in early January, only about two weeks after the December solstice. Thus winter begins in the northern hemisphere at about the time that the Earth is nearest the Sun. Is this important? Is there a reason why the times of solstice and perihelion are so close? It turns out that the proximity of the two dates is a coincidence of the particular century we live in. The date of perihelion does not remain fixed, but, over very long periods of time, slowly regresses (moves later) within the year. There is some evidence that this long-term change in the date of perihelion influences the Earth's climate.

That's likely not a myth. I actually experimented with that and it seemed to be that way in vast majority of the cases.
It is a myth. The effect of the coriolis force on something as small as a drain is utterly insignificant. It just depends on the local conditions of the drain/plughole.

no, the UK will get closer but earth doesnt move closer or farther away. The earth tilts forward or backward so the polar points move.
IIRC, the Earth's orbit is elliptical**. I didn't, however, say it was the reason for the seasons. :rolleyes:

**Let's face it. The chance of it being perfectly circular (even after removing the effect of the wobble due to the influence of the moon etc) is extremely low!

"The Earth reaches perihelion - the point in its orbit closest to the Sun - in early January, only about two weeks after the December solstice. Thus winter begins in the northern hemisphere at about the time that the Earth is nearest the Sun. Is this important? Is there a reason why the times of solstice and perihelion are so close? It turns out that the proximity of the two dates is a coincidence of the particular century we live in. The date of perihelion does not remain fixed, but, over very long periods of time, slowly regresses (moves later) within the year. There is some evidence that this long-term change in the date of perihelion influences the Earth's climate.

Maybe that is the reason for global warming.(or atleast large portion of it)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Two heads are better than one"

Haha, that's my favorite one :LOL:

Management seem to have a variation on this: Put two programmers on a project and it will get done in half the time! *

You then find your deadline is brought forward and said manager looks puzzled when you start to mime 'down not up' actions on your wrists...

* Presumably, then, if you put a million willion programmers on the project it will be completed in a couple of seconds...

"Water, going down a drain, spirals clockwise in one hemisphere and anti-clockwise in the other."

Its somewhat of a myth, but grounded in reality. Scientists have actually for fun made experiments that exhibit this tiny effect. But its true he perturbation from the coriolis force is completely insignificant relative to the topology of 99.999% of all drains and the initial conditions of the incoming source.

That's likely not a myth. I actually experimented with that and it seemed to be that way in vast majority of the cases.

I have done it as well in Australia and us and it is true that it does go in different directions. I wonder why people think it doesn't?

"The image a mirror displays is mirrored horizontal"
(Its just mirrored. Period. Its interesting to figure out why its assumed to be mirrored horizontal and not, for example, vertically or around your nose though :D)

Who you gonna call?

mythbusters.jpg

"The glass in windows is liquid and flows over hundreds of years"
Well, there's some part of truth to that, isn't it? Isn't glass an amorphous solid, which may explain why some people consider it as a very slow liquid.

Back