[H] reviews the KillerNIC...

Bullshit.
No need to be so hostile, man...

We're all merely voicing our opinions here and not absolute truths, and we're all equally welcome to do so in a calm and orderly fashion, am I right or wrong? I hope I didnt poick the wront webforum to register on, because I'm not interested in one that suppresses some peoples viewpoints..

Computer hardware isn't audiophile gear.
Do note I never said it was either. Don't put words in my mouth, or posts. Thanks.

[H] apparently thought it was a good idea to take a product whose value is uncertain, do only subjective tests, and call it a day. I don't even know how Kyle Bennett of all people can be satisfied with that "review."
I haven't even commented on the review or its perhaps lacking methodlogy so no point in trying to pin me on anything there bud.

I've no idea how good or bad that test was because I never read it. I merely said that from a personal judgement viewpoint, this card can very well be worth the money with nobody being able to say otherwise.

You can buy diamond-encrusted gold watches for a million dollars. it doesnt really tell time any better than any other timepiece for say a ten-thousandth the price and probably worse than some. Yet for some people a watch like that is worth the money despite being overly expensive and pointless (to most of us)

Same thing here.

Peace.

You can buy diamond-encrusted gold watches for a million dollars. it doesnt really tell time any better than any other timepiece for say a ten-thousandth the price and probably worse than some. Yet for some people a watch like that is worth the money despite being overly expensive and pointless (to most of us)

Same thing here.
If it's the same thing here, then yes, computer hardware has now been reduced to audiophile gear, where you have subjective reviews where the only indication of quality or value is whether or not somebody feels that it has value. And if that's true, why even bother calling something a review? You have no control. There is nothing scientific about it. When you have something with a function that can be measured, throwing objectivity out the window is a disservice to people who put faith in what you're writing.

As far as reviewing a KillerNIC, not my cup of tea. Although, the idea of running apps on the card is interesting (maybe a honeypot on the network card? that's kind of a hilarious idea)...

Someone needs to do a scientific and controlled review of it. They need to compare it to the common onboard NICS (nForce-4, Marvel, nForce 680i, p965, p975) and also add-in NICs of PCI and PCI-Express flavors (3com, Intel, Marvel, Cisco). They need to do controlled network throughput, latency, and cpu usage benchmarks. They should also utilize Windows XP and Windows Vista since Vista has an entirely rewritten networking stack.
You know, I'd really like to see a half-decent modern NIC review of any kind. I guess when even the ubiquitous RTL series works well enough, there's no point...

(maybe a honeypot on the network card? that's kind of a hilarious idea)...
That would just about justify the price of it to me for pure giggle value alone!
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

You know, I'd really like to see a half-decent modern NIC review of any kind. I guess when even the ubiquitous RTL series works well enough, there's no point...
The thing is, I don't think you'll ever see a decent NIC review as long as the bus used is PCI.

OT: that machina dynamica bunch must be seriously on crack. Or is the whole thing just a joke? Can't tell for sure, but it's mind-bending either way. Pebbles improving freq response and lowering the noise? Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

KillerNIC is a waste of money solely existing to suck in the gamer enthusiast so they can add another few l33t words on their PC spec signiatures. Sadly enough they will sell a lot solely because of this.

Anandtech analyzed it with Networking tools, [H] analysed it with real world gameplay impact, or lack thereof.....but lets face it, 99% of people buying this thing and using it will only get the "real world" impact out of it anyways, so i can totally understand the validity of this review, i know most of you guys are looking for colorful charts that show a .02341 difference in latency, etc...etc.....
[H] didn't analyze the "real world" impact on gameplay, they merely had a bunch of retards describing what's most likely a placebo effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the "review" this morning and agree that it seems more like a marketing exercise rather that a means of finding the hard line benefits of the hardware. [H] have focused a lot on this product and the company that makes it seems to be local to [H]'s base. I wonder if this is the reason why it gets so much coverage on the site?

OT: that machina dynamica bunch must be seriously on crack. Or is the whole thing just a joke? Can't tell for sure, but it's mind-bending either way. Pebbles improving freq response and lowering the noise? Yeah, right... :rolleyes:
100% real. There are some audiophiles that really are that nuts.

You guys are just jealous. I have TWO Killer NICs - one for outbound packets and one for inbound packets - and now I'm a full 5 seconds ahead of the server. I can actually headshot guys BEFORE they enter the game! ha!

Next I'm going to use the new Killer Motherboard with dual northbridge and southbridge chips each with their own embedded linux machine that can really make things fly!

[H] didn't analyze the "real world" impact on gameplay, they merely had a bunch of retards describing what's most likely a placebo effect.

you call it what you want, but they took the same machine, ran it with and without, and other than WoW it seems there was no positive improvements, even one game seemed to run worse.......

you act like they ran it without and then ran it with and made comments like OMG NOW IT TOTALLY RAWKS!! but they didn't......did you even read it?

you call it what you want, but they took the same machine, ran it with and without, and other than WoW it seems there was no positive improvements, even one game seemed to run worse.......

you act like they ran it without and then ran it with and made comments like OMG NOW IT TOTALLY RAWKS!! but they didn't......did you even read it?

Quote from the "review":
"He was easily able to identify his gaming session using the Killer NIC with confidence. One of the more notable things he conveyed to me was that his “machine was ahead of what was on the server.” He explained this was allowing him to take shots and get cover before others had time to react to his presence. Joshua said the the onboard NIC felt the same as his machine at home, but the Killer NIC gave him a better experience in that it, “felt smoother with less lag kills.” He went on to note that the overall reaction felt better and the Killer NIC supplied a smoothness of play he did not get with the onboard NIC.

One rather humorous note he made was that the Killer NIC did away with the “spray and pray” element of the game. He summed it all with saying this about the Killer NIC differences. “It does make me want to get one, but I don't have that much money.”"

So yes, I've read it. Did you? Apparently not.

Quote from the "review":
"He was easily able to identify his gaming session using the Killer NIC with confidence. One of the more notable things he conveyed to me was that his “machine was ahead of what was on the server.â€￾ He explained this was allowing him to take shots and get cover before others had time to react to his presence. Joshua said the the onboard NIC felt the same as his machine at home, but the Killer NIC gave him a better experience in that it, “felt smoother with less lag kills.â€￾ He went on to note that the overall reaction felt better and the Killer NIC supplied a smoothness of play he did not get with the onboard NIC.

One rather humorous note he made was that the Killer NIC did away with the “spray and prayâ€￾ element of the game. He summed it all with saying this about the Killer NIC differences. “It does make me want to get one, but I don't have that much money.â€￾"

So yes, I've read it. Did you? Apparently not.

thanks for making my point.......they didn't react the way you made it out to be, like "a bunch of retards"

Sorry but anyone whom thinks a their “machine was ahead of what was on the server.â€￾ and a site that posts that kind of drivel into an actual review would be considered a retard by many here.

thanks for making my point.......they didn't react the way you made it out to be, like "a bunch of retards"

Making your point? What I quoted was probably one of the most retarded things I've ever read on a professional hardware review site.

There are audiophiles who swear that they can hear the difference when using directional speaker cable. Apparently the cable has different conductivity in one direction than the other. Think about that for a second. I know! Semi-conductor cables!

There are audiophiles who swear that they can hear the difference when using directional speaker cable. Apparently the cable has different conductivity in one direction than the other. Think about that for a second. I know! Semi-conductor cables!
Well, they're sure there is more to experiencing sound than what can be measured by mere machines.

;)

Back