3dm07

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4358

We have heard that Futuremark's 3D Mark 07 will be fully Quad-Core Optimized, even in the Game Tests. Users will gain more frame rates with a Quad Core Processor even in graphics tests. Current beta version seem to indicate that there are 3 Games Tests.

My bold. There's a beta? That would suggest they're fairly far along, and there should be some ability to talk about what's being added (beyond "DX10 --Duh!", that is).

Anyone heard a date? Are they shooting for Jan 31 & Vista?

Sorry about the somewhat off-topic question, but who invented the whole "alpha/beta" terminology for applications?
I always had the feeling that it was just some geek who wanted to sound like he knew Greek, who just gave it the name "beta" because it's just an early version which is just a little beta than the alpha version...

Ok you can shoot me now.

Sorry about the somewhat off-topic question, but who invented the whole "alpha/beta" terminology for applications?
I always had the feeling that it was just some geek who wanted to sound like he knew Greek, who just gave it the name "beta" because it's just an early version which is just a little beta than the alpha version...

Ok you can shoot me now.

How many greek/latin terms are there after all when it comes to technology? Technology is also a greek term and it actually means "he who is skilled in the art (=techni) of the word (=logos)" and as awkward as it may sound that was one of the reasons why so many terms have been adopted in fields like technology, medicine and many others.

You've written a quite short paragraph, yet there are 6 terms in there already (topic, alpha, beta, terminology, applications, version) that originate from both latin and greek. Before I shoot you I'd rather have you trying to avoid using any latin/greek terms at least for one day and you'll see quickly how hard it'll be to express yourself :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that was actually a pretty good question. I release those things by those names regulary, and I never wondered why!

Ok you can shoot me now.
We can? With our male guns, I assume?

;)

I want the alpha omega version of 3DM '07

Any ideas on a release date? if its as soon as a few months then again, I question the validity of futuremarks benchmark program. I've only heard of one fully QC optimized game and that's alan wake and it's due out in 2008.

plus '06 miffed me slightly as it was just a rehash of '05 with a couple of extra features enabled.

At least with 2001 and 2003 you had real games coming out using the same engine and such.

What I'd love to see in 3Dmark is a randomness factor - you *must* repeat each test 5 times and each time those barrels fall a different way and you perhaps take a slightly different path (but more or less the same). Will screw those benchmark specific optimisation IHV's like to put in their drivers.

Any ideas on a release date? if its as soon as a few months then again, I question the validity of futuremarks benchmark program. I've only heard of one fully QC optimized game and that's alan wake and it's due out in 2008.
Historically, FM have always launched a new 3DMark within a few months of a D3D release - the exceptions being 05 and 06 but that's probably because of the longevity of D3D9. I'm guessing that FM would aim to have their first D3D10 3DMark out reasonably close to the public availability of Vista (and therefore D3D10) - why reasons would they have for waiting any longer?

At least with 2001 and 2003 you had real games coming out using the same engine and such.
No game ever used the engine for 03 and strictly speaking, 01 used quite a different setup to that in Max Payne.

How many greek/latin terms are there after all when it comes to technology? Technology is also a greek term and it actually means "he who is skilled in the art (=techni) of the word (=logos)" and as awkward as it may sound that was one of the reasons why so many terms have been adopted in fields like technology, medicine and many others.

You've written a quite short paragraph, yet there are 6 terms in there already (topic, alpha, beta, terminology, applications, version) that originate from both latin and greek. Before I shoot you I'd rather have you trying to avoid using any latin/greek terms at least for one day and you'll see quickly how hard it'll be to express yourself :p

You go girl!

(I want to go to Crete for my next holiday)

Back