Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection to be downloadable on PS3

Titanio

Legend
Famtisu reports that Namco will make available a new version of the PSP title Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection on the Playstation Store. A few details from duckroll on neoGAF:

- Jinpachi is playable and there are many new elements added
- Full HD graphics
- Based on the arcade version
- Modes include Arcade battle, Ghost Battle and Gallery modes

The PSP version is really great, so this is good news. I've never played the arcade version. Depending on the level of change I'd be tempted to download it, even though I own the PSP version :oops:

Interesting also because it may signal a trend of putting versions of PSP games up for download on the PS3 (another example would be the already announced Gripshift). I've always pondered the potential of going one step further and having a framework which would allow for downloadable games that would be transferable and playable between the two systems - exactly like the PSone downloads will be. Sort of a parallel platform for software that's not tied to any one PS platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a (huge) tekken fan, this might be the coolest news in weeks. :D

You could argue tekken 5 DR is better than Tekken 5 (which is the best console tekken imo). I know it sounds like it automatically should be better (due to the name), but I have a couple friends who dont like the new characters. Anyways, I'm interested in how playable Jinpachi will work out with the character balancing.

Interesting also because it may signal a trend of putting versions of PSP games up for download on the PS3 (another example would be the already announced Gripshift). I've always pondered the potential of going one step further and having a framework which would allow for downloadable games that would be transferable and playable between the two systems - exactly like the PSone downloads will be. Sort of a parallel platform for software that's not tied to any one PS platform.

you' sure this is just a psp version running on ps3?I probably misunderstand you :smile:

I would guess tekken5 would be a fast arcade to ps3 port, and has nothing in common with the psp version besides the name and the concept offcourse

you' sure this is just a psp version running on ps3?I probably misunderstand you :smile:

I would guess tekken5 would be a fast arcade to ps3 port, and has nothing in common with the psp version besides the name and the concept offcourse

True, it is based on the arcade version, but that there's also a PSP version made me think "hmm..it would be nice if you could download this once and play it on either system". Ditto for any other games that appear on both PSP and as a downloadable (even if the versions are a bit different)...although I know for some downloadables it would not be possible.

I can see more pubs converting some PSP games into PS3 downloadables, though, irrespective of whether a broader system as above were in place. Or putting out versions of games that otherwise wouldn't exist (Namco probably wouldn't have ported DR to the system if it was going to be physically distributed..this lets them do it at a lower risk).

Last edited by a moderator:
well that could work out for simpel games like blast factor and puzzle types of games where the game can render between 1080P and 256P so to speak .

T5: DR is a fantastic game and probably the best thing I've played on my PSP (although there's lots of competition there these days). This sounds like a great idea.

T5: DR is a fantastic game and probably the best thing I've played on my PSP (although there's lots of competition there these days). This sounds like a great idea.

Seconded - DR isn't just so good for having more characters or other gameplay tweaks, it just has the best modes all-round.

Detailed information and images at Game Watch
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061208/tk5.htm

Release date: TBA
Price: TBA
Size: around 800MB

Jinpachi is playable. Arcade Battle, Ghost Battle, Character Customization. Through Ghost Battle you can earn in-game money to obtain items and movies. No mention of network play.
Though the data is identical with the arcade version, it's rendered in 1080p (not upscaled).
The smaller one is the arcade version. (480p on System 256)
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061208/tk502.htm

Detailed information and images at Game Watch
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061208/tk5.htm

Release date: TBA
Price: TBA
Size: around 800MB

Jinpachi is playable. Arcade Battle, Ghost Battle, Character Customization. Through Ghost Battle you can earn in-game money to obtain items and movies. No mention of network play.
Though the data is identical with the arcade version, it's rendered in 1080p (not upscaled).
The smaller one is the arcade version. (480p on System 256)
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061208/tk502.htm

What does the arcade version look like? PS2-levels of graphics? Never seen it.

What does the arcade version look like? PS2-levels of graphics? Never seen it.
SYSTEM256 is PS2 with more RAM. It looks like the smaller box in the middle of the linked image, just on a monitor :smile: The PS3 version is 1080p/60fps.

Thanks for the news one. Really looking forward to this. Hopefully it arrives sooner than later. Price doesnt matter much to me, if it's 15 dollars or under (like all PS Store DLC should be), I consider it a steal. :)

Back