Enchant Arms PS3

“The volume of data in Enchant Arms won’t fit into a single DVD. It’s an RPG, so we’re thinking it would be inevitable that we release it on two discs,â€￾ says Takeuchi. “But to be honest, that’s even looking grim.â€￾

They made it fit on a single disc but.. Blu-ray FTW?

GAF said:
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/edigi-game/1773529/1791472/

The official information given to retailers is that the PS3 version of Enchant Arm coming out in Japan on 25th Jan 2007 will have major improvements and additions over the 360 version. Here are some details:

- Graphics will be improved, both character models and map textures will be enhanced.
- Major additions to the scenario have been added, from event scenes, cutscenes to new story episodes, all with full voice.
- Many scenes which were previously characters just standing there talking will now be full 3D realtime cutscenes with directing.
- The combat system has been completely rebalanced and brand new Golems have been added.
- New opening and ending songs, plus new BGM tracks.
- Xbox360 bugs will also be fixed and finetuned.

This was a cool game, but if they were having problems with disc space for CG they should've just stretched it out over 2 discs since it's a very linear game.

Anyways, don't believe all the negative reviews about this game, it's pretty cool, and collecting the most powerful golems, and leveling them up, is pretty fun.

Worst case it plays the same role as it did for X360's line-up. RPG filler for a dry season.

I was kind of tempted to pick up the 360 version, but I'm struggling to play all the games I have as it is. Maybe by the time it comes out on PS3, I'll have finished some of my backlog and need new games.

I've barely started FFXII =/

I have my doubts this will come to NA in the similar time frame (or even come at all). If they have english language in this version of the game I just might import it.

This was a cool game, but if they were having problems with disc space for CG they should've just stretched it out over 2 discs since it's a very linear game.

Anyways, don't believe all the negative reviews about this game, it's pretty cool, and collecting the most powerful golems, and leveling them up, is pretty fun.

People made such a big deal about it that Microsoft or From decided to try and get it on one disk. This is why I'm glad Blue Dragon will be released the way it is. I would rather them make sure the game is all it can be then to worry about disk changing. Then again I wonder if it would be a pain to develop multidisk game.

Not particularly. The main snag is managing shared resources and making sure they're duplicated across discs (i.e. not missing anything). Since every PS3 ships with an HDD, you can store shared resources on the HDD and not worry about duplicating resources. On the 360, since you're not gauranteed an HDD (unless you demand the user have one in order to play) you'll have to duplicate resources across the game discs.

I don't understand why they would make the versions so drasitically different (if what the article says is true). Is the dev worried about spending the extra few cents on multiple dvds for the 360?

archie4oz, bless you for you are wise.:eek: Your mention of the hdd in ps3 versions versus the 360 core lacking an hdd trumps any br vs. dvd9 discussions. The drive install is what matters, though I don't see why the 360 shouldn't have this capability open for those who are willing to pay the premium for a drive from the box or as a separate add-on.

archie4oz, bless you for you are wise.:eek: Your mention of the hdd in ps3 versions versus the 360 core lacking an hdd trumps any br vs. dvd9 discussions. The drive install is what matters, though I don't see why the 360 shouldn't have this capability open for those who are willing to pay the premium for a drive from the box or as a separate add-on.

alot of the games do cache from the harddrive on the x360 (oblivion, Football manager etc)

I question how trustworthy this information is. It would be very ill-advised for From to make a substantially better game on another console at this point. Especially after this whole thing messed with the "only for Xbox360" branding scheme, this would just be salt in the wounds. :(

http://www.gamerandy.com/archives/070201.jpg

Enchanted Arms at one time was shown to possibly take up 2 disk. When the game was released later it only had one. Chances are that much of the extra content was cut out of the 360 version for whatever reason. The game had already been delayed they may have cut something due to time constraints. Microsoft may have really wanted this to be released before March, when the PS3 was supposed to be released. It could be that but I remeber many people using it as the reason why an HD media would have been better for the Xbox 360. It could have been to save face in Japan or that they didn't have enough time to get it out. I still think much of this extra content was either already done and cut or wasn't finished yet.

I have an Xbox 360 and this game, I hope From is able to release a game that is superior to what they released on the 360 considering they way many people blasted this game they really need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not particularly. The main snag is managing shared resources and making sure they're duplicated across discs (i.e. not missing anything). Since every PS3 ships with an HDD, you can store shared resources on the HDD and not worry about duplicating resources. On the 360, since you're not gauranteed an HDD (unless you demand the user have one in order to play) you'll have to duplicate resources across the game discs.
Putting stuff on the HDD to avoid disc-swapping during play isn't really going to work. Let's say we have 5GB on the "install" disc and that all needs to be on the HDD to play from just the "play" disc.

You're looking at ten minutes for the installation. How many 5GB installations can you do on a shared 20GB drive, two or three? Sure you can manage that and delete stuff, but do you want to redo them if they take ten minutes?

Common resources on HDD to shorten load times - yes
HDD to avoid multiple discs during play - no

Enchant Arms suffered alot from the 'westernized' audience of the 360. I'm sure its not a surprise to most of you, but just for posting sake, the audience of Maddens, NHLs, Splinter Cells, and Halos, just see JRPGs are 'gimmicky', and 'unfun' because of the turn based nature.

I clearly remember the Gametrailer's review implying 'its just another run of the mill JRPG' without no real commentary on the story, gameplay mechanics, and other features that really did make the game stand out. In fact, I have that site bookmarked for the day the PS3 version comes out, just to see if their opinions will change at all.

Blu-Ray will offer more space to allow for better textures and whatnot - that's a no brainer. But to fix bugs for the PS3 release and not for the 360 is just unbecoming. Not to mention adding additional features.

Oh god no. Please.
:smile:

Time flows like a river, and history repeats

- Secret of Mana Intro -

Ontopic: this is good news. If the PS3 version manages to get a better score it's possible I might be interested in picking it up when it arrives. Many gamers complained about enchanted arms being underrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back