Wiimote PC control video.

Even the difference between poor support and no support is big. Take a FPS game, how would you play a FPS game with the Wiimote if you just mapped movements to stick movements? You'd be moving left, then when you move your hand back to try to center yourself you'd move right straight away. A lot of people say Red Steels controls are poor, but at least you don't end playing the game facing in the opposite direction to the TV :)

As you say "Well certainly some work would need to be done". That's my point right there, no work will be done on a PS3 game to support Wii's controller, therefore this is a none starter discussion.

I don't really want to discuss how well Zelda controls at the moment since I don't have my Wii yet. But I certainly wouldn't expect it to be a showcase for what the Wii controller can do. At the same time the game isn't just "move Wiimote left" = "map to stick left".

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the difference between poor support and no support is big. Take a FPS game, how would you play a FPS game with the Wiimote if you just mapped movements to stick movements? You'd be moving left, then when you move your hand back to try to center yourself you'd move right straight away. A lot of people say Red Steels controls are poor, but at least you don't end playing the game facing in the opposite direction to the TV :)

I think that's an argument Powerkeg once made. ;)

Anyhow this would fall under the category of requiring "some work".

As you say "Well certainly some work would need to be done". That's my point right there, no work will be done on a PS3 game to support Wii's controller, therefore this is a none starter discussion.

Oh, I can certainly agree that zero DEVELOPER work will be done to get the Wii working for PS3 games and therefore this whole discussion is moot. I'm just hypothetically arguing that IF a developer wanted to and could add Wii support, it wouldn't necessarily mean the Wii controls would feel tacked on, anymore than Zelda feels tacked on.

I don't really want to discuss how well Zelda controls at the moment since I don't have my Wii yet. But I certainly wouldn't expect it to be a showcase for what the Wii controller can do. At the same time the game isn't just "move Wiimote left" = "map to stick left".

Well two things (replying to bolded portion):
  • Uhm, it kinda is. Shield Bash, for instance, is "push" Nunchuk forward. Sometimes this isn't even read properly (or at all) so you have to do it a few times but I digress.
  • If PS3 developers had access to the Wiimote, they wouldn't be anymore limited than a Nintendo developer. In other words, they wouldn't need to be limited to "move Wiimote left" = "map to stick left", anymore than any other Nintendo developer.

15fps Shifty :???: I guess human reflexes are not uber fast and all, but that seems low.

That said, lets hope they get this working for PC FPS! I would be more than happy to test it out for such. Now if I can get Mario on my PC I will slap a Wii sticker on my case and call it a day :cool:

15fps Shifty :???: I guess human reflexes are not uber fast and all, but that seems low.
I'm guessing the proprietary camera is much faster. It needs to be.

@ Teasy : Sony wouldn't have to target Wiimote in developing games. They only need to have different controller options for different BlueTooth controllers. eg. Support the Fusion, which works like a Wiimote, and by extension you support the Wiimote. That same design can used with different controllers. It'd then be up to the user to decide which alternative controller they get and use - sixaxis, Fusion, or Wiimote (or others)?

Yes attaching a Wii controller to your PS3 is like attaching a Dual Shock to your PC and nobody is going to get into trouble for that. But Sony actually developing games for PS3 that use the Wiimote to control the game (which is what Shifty and I were discussing) is a totally different matter and would end in a pretty quick and painful court case.

So what law would be broken? I don't see the gray area... It would be mightily stupid of Sony to do so, since it would give a lot of mindshare to Nintendo ("Sony just a follower, has to rely on Nintys technology", etc.), but apart from that...

There are going to be tons of games on the Wii that will barely use the Wiimote to the fullest. Even Zelda hardly uses it well IMO. I don't think you would consider using it to play Zelda crappy.

Yeah but did you know that zelda was designed for GC? they only ''ported'' it to wii because nintendo will sell a shitload of consoles that way. Why waste a killer game on a system thats already dead for over a year? Its not wonder that the wiimote isnt used very good because the game never was designed for the wii.

Yeah but did you know that zelda was designed for GC? they only ''ported'' it to wii because nintendo will sell a shitload of consoles that way. Why waste a killer game on a system thats already dead for over a year? Its not wonder that the wiimote isnt used very good because the game never was designed for the wii.

Yep, I know that. It was just a counter-example I brought up against the argument that, "if a already-released PS3 game were to get Wiimote support, it would feel tacked on." That is, I don't think this is necessarily true anymore than Zelda feels like it has tacked on Wiimote support.

But hey, if you think Zelda feels like the Wiimote was tacked on, then your standards are higher than mine. :)

Ty

I think you must have mis-understood my original point. Because most of the things your saying I don't disagree with and certainly haven't disagreed with in this thread at all. This whole discussion came from the idea of hacking a Wiimote to work with a PS3. So obviously in that case there would be no developer support on the system. Hence the games designed for PS3's controller would control either poorly or in a totally broken way.

I'm guessing the proprietary camera is much faster. It needs to be.

@ Teasy : Sony wouldn't have to target Wiimote in developing games. They only need to have different controller options for different BlueTooth controllers. eg. Support the Fusion, which works like a Wiimote, and by extension you support the Wiimote. That same design can used with different controllers. It'd then be up to the user to decide which alternative controller they get and use - sixaxis, Fusion, or Wiimote (or others)?

Yeah they could make games with Fusion support, which can do some of the things Wii's controller can do. But no doubt those games would work better with the Fusion controller anyway.

So what law would be broken? I don't see the gray area... It would be mightily stupid of Sony to do so, since it would give a lot of mindshare to Nintendo ("Sony just a follower, has to rely on Nintys technology", etc.), but apart from that...

Its not a case of actually breaking the law. Selling a game designed for one region of the world to people in another region isn't illegal, but shops are being cliosed down for doing just that. Simply because the product wasn't intended to be sold in another region and the manucfacturer didn't want it to be. Similarly the Wii controller was not intended to be used with the PS3 and I doubt Nintendo will want it to be either...

Its not a case of actually breaking the law. Selling a game designed for one region of the world to people in another region isn't illegal, but shops are being cliosed down for doing just that. Simply because the product wasn't intended to be sold in another region and the manucfacturer didn't want it to be. Similarly the Wii controller was not intended to be used with the PS3 and I doubt Nintendo will want it to be either...

Oh, I agree that Nintendo would sue Sony over it... I just don't believe they would win, since Sony probably has some better lawyers than Lik-Sang et al.
That would be an interesting day indeed... :)

Lik-sang didnt have any lawyers at all. Sony sued them in a couple of countries and since lik-sang doesnt have the kind of money sony has so they decided to just do nothing because it would only cost them money and they couldnt win anyway because sony would just keep on sueing their ass untill they'd run out of cash.

Oh, I agree that Nintendo would sue Sony over it... I just don't believe they would win, since Sony probably has some better lawyers than Lik-Sang et al.
That would be an interesting day indeed... :)

Oh I'm sure they'd win, these kind of cases very rarely go in the defendants favour. I mean did you ever wonder why Nintendo didn't use any kind of proprietary wireless for there controllers? Because they didn't mind if other console manufacturers highjacked there controller?.. I doubt it.

Oh I'm sure they'd win, these kind of cases very rarely go in the defendants favour. I mean did you ever wonder why Nintendo didn't use any kind of proprietary wireless for there controllers? Because they didn't mind if other console manufacturers highjacked there controller?.. I doubt it.

Same reason MS added specialized chips in theirs (retain closed platform + royalties).

Back