What's your dream handheld?

I understand this is a technology-centric board, and that threads like these come with the territory, but I believe DS shows technology truly is not where it matters.

DS was most certainly a serendipitous moment for nintendo, even they did not know, or understand what they had invented. It seems from first impressions, they're about to repeat that with the Wii.

Technology seems only to matter if it somehow improves function, and not just appearance. High antialiasing and 32-bit rendering whatever, if people don't even understand what these things are, then how could they care the slightest about it?

It's not a matter of "if they just SEE IT, they'll know the difference!", because they won't see the difference. Most people are like that woman who bought a "playstation gameboy" for her son, and then sicced the cops on him because he opened his present early.

Technical-minded people laugh at product names getting mixed up, but if you can't be bothered with how many jiggabobs or gigaflux a product has, or if 12 jiggabobs is a lot or not or if 150 gigaflux is enough, then it's hard to keep track even of what company makes which product, and which is a company name and which is a brand name.

So from a strictly pragmatic point of view without any particular bias, a dream handheld should mirror the product which is more successful in the handheld space and try to improve upon it, and should not mirror a product which is less successful.

That's my take anyway.
Peace.

Well my dream handheld would be cheap (as much a possible), would have single big touchscreen that devs could (or not) divide however they want, it would have some (more limited than than Wii remote, maybe DS3 level) motion tech, a micro, wi-fi (and free online), two joysticks instead of D-pads, very fast loadings and any other interesting features that could make into it.

After that as powerfull and power efficient as it can ;) .

Some multimedia features (eg, music, internet browinsing...)

Last edited by a moderator:
PSP is my Dreamhandheld. This is with Homebrew ofc (I don't talk about ISOs here).
The hardware is fantastic it's not too big and it's not too heavy.
To me the only downside of the PSP is the price and the fact that there is no final fantasy or gran turismo available yet. :D

Back