ATI=24 month each generation

The Business Week page referenced doesn't actually say where ATI admitted they were moving to a 2 year per generation schedule - it just says that they did. Was this mentioned in a conference call, or something?

Ultimately, this is not going to be much different to the way things currently are anyway, as far as I can see. NVidia has been on the GF3/GF4 generation for some time now and we know DX10 isn't due for some time yet.

So roll on R390 and NV39... :D

Well, the information seems to come from Ati

That has given ATI the leeway to make a surprising decision: On Mar. 31, it confirmed that it will lengthen its product cycle to 24 months.
It = Ati :?:

They say ATi's current cycle is 18 months, which is wrong. Since Rage 128 it's been 18, 18, 12, 12.

I think they're moving back to an 18 month cycle, no more - nV have supposedly begun system level work on NV50 (according to that Digit-Life article - where the hell did that go, by the way??!) and I assume ATi will have started work on R500 in California around Xmas sometime.

MuFu.

Ya... I think this is more "setting expectations" than it is set in stone timetables.

Better to have the expectation be for longer product cycles... then people are happy when you come out with things "early" even though thats what you were targetting all along.

Expectations on tech development in the graphics world are getting pretty off the wall high, and things need to slow down if it is to be sustainable business wise.

Ichneumon said:
Expectations on tech development in the graphics world are getting pretty off the wall high, and things need to slow down if it is to be sustainable business wise.

Absolutely. DX9 with VS 3.0 and PS 3.0 gives some pretty darn good features that should last for quite some time. As we stay there a bit we will need more shader ops power which should in itself drive the urge for new, faster cards for some time to come.

IMO, slowing down the rate that new architectural video card chipsets coming out will be better as when they do come out they will pack more of a punch in performance and features.

Give the R&D guys some time, especially since Australians PAY for the R&D. 15% R&D tax on all IT goods. :rolleyes:

Well this is new because of the "24 months", before we were assuming 18 months.

I don't think also it's set in stone timetable but it's wider than expected!

K.I.L.E.R said:
Give the R&D guys some time, especially since Australians PAY for the R&D. 15% R&D tax on all IT goods. :rolleyes:

Are you serious?? 15%? No wonder we pay so much more than in the US.

elroy said:
K.I.L.E.R said:

Are you serious?? 15%? No wonder we pay so much more than in the US.

Yes, this was said on Today Tonight or was it A Current Affairs? One of them. If you guys actually seen some of the taxes still in place you would think that children were running parliment.

So , it looks that rumours for R400 being delayed for 2004 are true after all.
In same time NVidia seems to position NV35 for june, NV40 for end of 2003 ....
And rumours that Ati has problems with 0.13 ....
Anyone here to have idea when 9600 will be launched? Later this week 5200 starts selling @ 90$ .

Dio said:
I do like the way that the last two weeks, your answer to everything seems to have been 'Said this six months ago' :)

Well, it just goes to show, if people want to know the real 3D news then they should read B3D carefully! :D ;)

chavvdarrr said:
Anyone here to have idea when 9600 will be launched?

Yes.

Back