Star Trek: Legacy

well, I haven't quite been following what was cut, but the loss of upgrading doesn't seem to be earth-shattering to me. Is the MP just cut down from 8 or did they cut the online entirely?

I'm not sure as I've been skimming over the threads there and some are growing faster that you can read them. They also do this weird thing where they lock any thread that gets to 200 replies. I think there is still online play, just not with as many ships. The reason why people cared about the upgrade system was because they devs kept talking it up as their favourite feature, the thing that made it interesting to play against other people and the reason for striving to play through matches.

Still, the first impressions should be coming soon, so we'll find out if the usual Bethseda/Trek curse has doubly struck.

LOL! For those people who can't be bothered to peruse the official forums, it looks like the PC release has been put back another day (at least) with some places even claiming a release next week. Quite a few people went into stores (some of them called/emailed automatically) only to find Legacy wasn't there as promised.

Aiiiiieeee! It's the curse of the Star Trek game, double-hexed with the Bethseda voodoo of doom!

So... still no sight of reviews. This is just getting worse and worse. And this is the thirtieth anniversary isn't it? or 40th? Can't count right now :p

There was even a guy that did a great fake, with a photoshopped box and a projector display of the game. It was only when people questioned the fact he had an xbox360 box (which wasn't supposed to be out until next week), and a developer pointed out the game shown used some old HUD graphics that didn't ship with the game, that the bluff was called.

Of course idle hands are the devil's playthings, so people are speculating on how bad the game must be to not have any reviews, and if the cut features will be downloadable as paid-for extras a la Oblivion.

Whatever great PR is, Bethseda seems to have the exact opposite. It's like they have some sort of "Anti-PR" department who's job it is to piss off their fans and make sure that retail stores don't know anything about the game or when it is arriving.

I definitely wouldn't mind giving the Defiant a go, though I think Enterprise-E would take it. :)
Most likely it would. But the original intent of the Defiant was a fleet of smaller attack craft. So the question is, could the Enterprise E take two Defiants?

Hm.... tough to say even against one. During the series I recall sisko going up against one of those Klingon super duper battle cruisers and kickin its ass because it flew so closely to it.

Then again, the hero always wins. :p

Wonder if they'll bring out the fleet of Defiant class ships for the Borg battles (as intended).

:cry:

demo time... they will have one...right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely it would. But the original intent of the Defiant was a fleet of smaller attack craft. So the question is, could the Enterprise E take two Defiants?

Two? Is that what they call a fleet on Star Trek? How about 80 white stars? Or a dozen Earth cruisers with hundreds of Starfuries?

*sigh* Star Trek has always been the bottom of the barrel when it comes to scifi.

Well, the Voyager could easily dispatch two Defiants, the Enterprise, and DS9 all at the same time. At the time it returned to the Alpha quadrant, it was the most advanced ship in the galaxy.

Two? Is that what they call a fleet on Star Trek? How about 80 white stars? Or a dozen Earth cruisers with hundreds of Starfuries?

*sigh* Star Trek has always been the bottom of the barrel when it comes to scifi.
quoted for truth

Well, the Voyager could easily dispatch two Defiants, the Enterprise, and DS9 all at the same time. At the time it returned to the Alpha quadrant, it was the most advanced ship in the galaxy.

I can't believe I'm about to argue about Star Trek, but: Voyager was only that powerful because of its technology from the future. On its own an Intrepid class starship is quite weak, easily less powerful than a Sovereign or Galaxy class ship. A Defiant class ship should even be able to take out an Intrepid.

This is a cool JPEG showing the size differences of many different sci-fi ships/stations.

http://mijnkopthee.nl/images/space_comparison_chart_huge.jpeg

It looks like the PC version is finally beginning to trickle out, with camera phone pictures on the Bethsoft forums to prove people have bought it.

There's also an initial fairly negative Xbox360 review, but it sounds like they gave it to someone who doesn't have much of a clue, complains that there "too much 3D" and too much space combat in what is a space combat game. He doesn't see to understand what a weapon arc is or that a large capital class ship isn't supposed to be a fast moving fighter. :rolleyes:

Don't you think that's a bit of an opinion? Besides, I've watched all there is of B5 and Crusade. Excellent shows in a cool universe. But, Star Trek certainly can run alongside them. The shows are really very different. Still, one thing I've noticed after absorbing thousands of hours of JMS productions is, if you watch more JMS work (Jeremiah), you start to realize that guy really likes speeches too much and has some odd and sometimes painfully bad humor. Jeremiah is a pretty decent 2 season series tho.

Besides, the new BSG kicks Trek and B5 around quite nicely. That show is pretty amazing on so many levels. :)

Here's to hoping for Legacy being a decent game. But, I'm not getting my hopes up. Trek games always seem to be only about halfway there in the Trek "realism" dept. Game devs like to take annoying creative liberties and make weird-ass custom ships to add to the ship selection. Hopefully this game has fewer bugs than the totally disfunctional DS9: Dominion Wars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Bethseda are having to release an emergency patch today or tomorrow because the multiplayer is completely broken. It's impossible to find anyone else to play with as the game finder just doesn't work. Nice going Bethseda. :rolleyes:

Most of the people seem to like the looks of the game, though there are many complaints that you can't choose your opponent fleet when you play offline skirmish - so no recreating battles from the series or movies.

The game is going on a special discount at best buy/futureshop tomorrow (friday). Don't know whether I should get it now. Where the reviews (PC)!?

The game is going on a special discount at best buy/futureshop tomorrow (friday). Don't know whether I should get it now. Where the reviews (PC)!?

There aren't any yet. Just intitial impressions from the Legacy forum. Don't take all the screenshots for granted though, as a lot of people have quickly installed the game on work machines or laptops that are below the minimum spec just to get some screenshots to the fans.

Back