which to buy

Dave

Newcomer
Ok folks...

So I got an xbox360 a couple of weeks ago. Beat GoW. I'm trying to think of what to get next, on a budget.

I'll probably pick up something used. I'm thinking CoD2, Q4 or Prey. I've played the demos for all three but I'm undecided. Advice? Perhaps even something other than these three.

Thanks,
Dave

Call of Duty 2 was very good. Online play is now great after you download the patch, although I'm not sure how many people are still playing.

Quake 4 sucked on the 360. Lots of frame rate issues with the game.
Prey suffered much the same way Quake 4 did. Fact is both of these games were pretty crappy ports.

Any idea how many hours of play CoD2 provides? I was already leaning a little in that direction, and now I am doing so even more.

Thanks again.

VP = Viva Pinata

get CoD3 instead of CoD2... or just sign up for xbox Live if you havent already. Gears over Live is a blast...

VP = Viva Pinata

get CoD3 instead of CoD2... or just sign up for xbox Live if you havent already. Gears over Live is a blast...

I'm on a 1 month freebie of Live Gold, so I'm good there for now. I've played GoW co-op and yes it is a blast, but I want a little variety.

My reason for CoD2 instead of 3 is cost. I can get CoD2 for about 1/2 the price. I know there is a graphics upgrade in 3, but from the demo, the gamelpay in 2 seems great and I figure when the price of 3 comes down I'll pick it up. I just can't see paying $60 for most games (with GoW and anything Halo being the exception).

I'd originally wanted GRAW, but I played the demo and the graphics were nice, but I was not satisfied with the gameplay. The targeting felt weak and the squad control was crappy. I'd hoped for something like the original with some additional squad control, and this just didn't do it for me.

-Dave

Call of Duty 2 was very good. Online play is now great after you download the patch, although I'm not sure how many people are still playing.

Quake 4 sucked on the 360. Lots of frame rate issues with the game.
Prey suffered much the same way Quake 4 did. Fact is both of these games were pretty crappy ports.

Prey has almost no frame-rate issue.. It is way better than Quake4 in that department. Single-player is also pretty good, especially the first 1/3 and the last 1/3 of the game (middle 1/3 is kinda slow).. MP of prey sucks big-time but.

Being that said, if I have to choose between these three, I would go with CoD2.

If you are into racing, you can also consider PGR3. It still looks pretty good, still has decent online community and is dirt cheap.

The games you mention are all crappy ports which run and look notably better on any reasonably modren gaming PC. As for games you can pick up on a budget and used, have you checked out the demo for Condemned?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on a 1 month freebie of Live Gold, so I'm good there for now. I've played GoW co-op and yes it is a blast, but I want a little variety.

My reason for CoD2 instead of 3 is cost. I can get CoD2 for about 1/2 the price. I know there is a graphics upgrade in 3, but from the demo, the gamelpay in 2 seems great and I figure when the price of 3 comes down I'll pick it up. I just can't see paying $60 for most games (with GoW and anything Halo being the exception).

I'd originally wanted GRAW, but I played the demo and the graphics were nice, but I was not satisfied with the gameplay. The targeting felt weak and the squad control was crappy. I'd hoped for something like the original with some additional squad control, and this just didn't do it for me.

-Dave

Cool. Check out this thread then for B3D's 360 picks...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36071

The games you mention are all crappy ports which run and look notably better on any reasonably modren gaming PC. As for games you can pick up on a budget and used, have you checked out the demo for Condemned?

No, I haven't. I'll check it out. Thanks!

CoD2 runs at 30-50FPS and is comparable to "high" (note: not highest) settings @ 720p on a pc.
I wouldnt call that a crappy port.

I agree that the other games are crappy ports tho. Doom 3 engine just doesnt work on the x360

Whenever I need a new game I check out this website

http://www.gamerankings.com/

On the left, under PLATFORMS, just select The Rankings. Then plug in your system of choice, put a larger number in for limit results and go. A great website for giving you an idea of whats worth playing. You can even get specific in your search by plugging in FPS or RPG in the category section.

It's just a website that averages out a final score for a game using all the major reviews. It's about the closest thing you can get to an unbiased review.

Slightly fff topic I know, but I was getting a bit confused with Dave's comments in the God thread over in RSPC. Didn't sound like Dave Baumann at all - and we all know DB already has an Xbox. I feel a bit stupid, but I take we're in the presence of Dave Barron here. :oops:

And on topic. How about Dead Rising?

Prey has the best gameplay and Quake 4 has the longest gameplay value. Depending how long your average gameplay sessions are you could problably beat Prey in a few sittings if you just rented it. I liked Quake, it was just long for a mindless FPS. Riddick long only not as sexy to make it worth it to me.

CoD series lost me after their first game which i beat and it was good, but i'm in no hurry to play anything else from them.

Kameo and condemned are problably worth a looking for some cheaper games to buy. Condemned is short too, only about 6 hours on harder settings.

CoD2 runs at 30-50FPS and is comparable to "high" (note: not highest) settings @ 720p on a pc.
I wouldnt call that a crappy port.

I agree that the other games are crappy ports tho. Doom 3 engine just doesnt work on the x360
CoD2 runs double buffered and capped by vsync which means it fluctuates directly between 60fps and 30fps with nothing in between, and it frequently drops from there to 20fps and even 15fps in heavy action with lots of smoke and such. Beyond that, it doesn't use any AA or AF unless you run it in a 480 line mode where it runs notably smoother and with 4xAA but still no AF, which is what I played the game at when I owned it. It still ran and looked better on my PC, even before I upgraded it. Though, yeah, in the Doom3 engine games the disparity is even worse.

I would go with Pray.It's a very good fps and has some unique elements.It also runs very smooth(albeit 30fps) unlike Quake4.

Back