TIme mag on zelda

jvd

Banned
Okay the newest issue came today and i was reading about the war and what not . Got to page 103 and in the side bar there is video game watch. It talks about the game (they loved it ) how it was the 11th installment in the zelda series and how it seta record of 600,000 preorders (I'm assuming america since it says before last weeks release. ) The also talk about how they can't wait for the sequal.

Just thought i'd share

jvd said:
Okay the newest issue came today and i was reading about the war and what not . Got to page 103 and in the side bar there is video game watch. It talks about the game (they loved it ) how it was the 11th installment in the zelda series and how it seta record of 600,000 preorders (I'm assuming america since it says before last weeks release. ) The also talk about how they can't wait for the sequal.

Just thought i'd share

now why is it that at the 11th installment Nintendo manage to pull out a pretty neat piece of work, whereas the final fantasy series has been stalling since installment 7? (pretty much)...

oh maybe because we now have 13 final fantasies (is that right?) :LOL:

just ignore me... im not starting a flame war, just thought i should share that.... and everyone knows how much i love final fantasy really, spending 150 Hours on FFX is enough to prove that...

Whoa. They counted the CD-i games. :oops:

And I agree about Final Fantasy, and DISagree that FF is stalling, just that some people really don't like over-linear and somewhat-more-repetitive-than-most gameplay.

I don't think most people would mind the linearity so much if it were actually gameplay, not just clicking response phrases in endless dialog, followed by drawn out cutscenes, with some token fighting thrown in just so it can still pretend to be a game and not a video book.

The original Final Fantasy was linear, but it didn't seem like it while you were playing it... mainly because you were playing it, not watching it. You were also free to travel around previously explored areas at will, instead of being constantly pushed in one direction with no going back.

Crusher said:
I don't think most people would mind the linearity so much if it were actually gameplay, not just clicking response phrases in endless dialog, followed by drawn out cutscenes, with some token fighting thrown in just so it can still pretend to be a game and not a video book.

The original Final Fantasy was linear, but it didn't seem like it while you were playing it... mainly because you were playing it, not watching it. You were also free to travel around previously explored areas at will, instead of being constantly pushed in one direction with no going back.

AND U CAN DO THAT in any final fantasy game. even FFX. and yes, FFX had loads of gameplay. it's just a different type of gameplay.
call me stupid but i could never be bothered to finish GTA3, the whole freedom just didn't appeal to me. i ended up doing a missiong every month and killing people around and do stupid things most of the time... the fact that the story wasnt really there pushed me away from the game, i didnt feel as connected, as involved in it to be bothered to actually finish it.
however i finished every Square game i've played....

so much for linearity...

How do you go back to the beginning of FFX, London?
Answer: YOU CAN'T! No matter what you say.

Loads of gameplay? Bullsh*t! Load of bollocks is more like it. FFX is the worst FF game I ever played, it's sure embarrassing when the tenth installment of a series gets the pants beaten off it by the fourth in just about all respects, a game which looks more like a 8-bit NES game than anything else I might add.

FFX's plot is laughably thin, voice acting is embarrassingly bad and NOTHING FRIGGIN HAPPENS! It's just watch cutscene A, kill some stuff, watch cutscene B, talk to someone (and listen to some inane lines being delivered by badly lipsynched CG characters), kill some more stuff, watch cutscene C...

It's so linear I truly wonder why they even bothered requiring any user input at all in fact. It's still not possible to bypass those boring cutscenes, something that annoys me to no end. I get to make ZERO decisions of my own. There aren't any branching parts at all as far as I can determine. I played up to the stupid ball tournament and then I tired of the game. It plain STINKS.

Final Fantasy X really should be the FINAL Fantasy. No more I say. Hell, FF7 was plenty unoriginal as it was. It's just gone from bad to worse since! That includes the battle system I might add. Why is it I can have six chars with me but only three in a battle at any one time? That's just stupid. Couple that with the game forcing me to have a particular person in the party at some point in the game; a REAL game designer would have made the player able to figure out their own way of beating a situation without simply beating the player over the head with a club and forcing them to "play" the game a certain way.

I'd give FFX like 3 out of 10, and I'm being that nice just because the graphics is pretty neat at times.

*G*

Grall said:

Loads of gameplay? Bullsh*t! Load of bollocks is more like it. FFX is the worst FF game I ever played, it's sure embarrassing when the tenth installment of a series gets the pants beaten off it by the fourth in just about all respects, a game which looks more like a 8-bit NES game than anything else I might add.

FFX's plot is laughably thin, voice acting is embarrassingly bad and NOTHING FRIGGIN HAPPENS! It's just watch cutscene A, kill some stuff, watch cutscene B, talk to someone (and listen to some inane lines being delivered by badly lipsynched CG characters), kill some more stuff, watch cutscene C...

It's so linear I truly wonder why they even bothered requiring any user input at all in fact. It's still not possible to bypass those boring cutscenes, something that annoys me to no end. I get to make ZERO decisions of my own. There aren't any branching parts at all as far as I can determine. I played up to the stupid ball tournament and then I tired of the game. It plain STINKS.

Final Fantasy X really should be the FINAL Fantasy. No more I say. Hell, FF7 was plenty unoriginal as it was. It's just gone from bad to worse since! That includes the battle system I might add. Why is it I can have six chars with me but only three in a battle at any one time? That's just stupid. Couple that with the game forcing me to have a particular person in the party at some point in the game; a REAL game designer would have made the player able to figure out their own way of beating a situation without simply beating the player over the head with a club and forcing them to "play" the game a certain way.

I'd give FFX like 3 out of 10, and I'm being that nice just because the graphics is pretty neat at times.

*G*

WELL i take it u didnt like the game.... :LOL:

come on, if u give FFX a 3 then u should give pretty much every RPG in this generation a lower score... there are exceptions but they're not yet released in europe anyway...

come on, it still is miles better than some games and a bit better than some others... it's got flaws just like every game, but saying it sucks is a bit too much in my opinion.

if u dont like the genre then thats another thing, in the RPG world there are not that many RPGs in this generation that can surpass FFX...

what can i say, i loved it :oops:

The problem with the Final Fantasy series is that it never really goes onto trying anything different or new. Square uses the same old tried and true techniques at making the games and just throw in new graphics and epic storyline for each sequel. While Final Fantasi XI is a little different, it might be too late for some gamers. There really isn't anything to go back to the Final Fantasy series for, the game devs don't give gamers enough of a reason to go back to the series. To me, FF6 and FF7 were the pinnacle of the series, the high points. After those games everything went downhill. I guess FFX did help a bit, but it's still the same old stuff with a new storyline and the battle system getting a different name. If FF12 tries something really different and new while letting the gamer exploring the world a little bit more and have a bit of non linearity then it could be a huge success. The game needs to go into a new direction and offer some different types of gameplay, and it's time to completely overhaul the battle system and come up with something new. Either that or make a sequel to Final Fantasy VII with what should go into 12. Thay's my fantasy...

Zelda series has been so successful and adored because the titles aren't shoved down our faces every year or 2 and there is usually something different enough through each different game that gamers will want to pick it up. The game allows more freedom and is a different type of game all together, but it's a type of game that works well. Miyamato went with cell shading in the new game and while some people don't agree with it I must say it's a new direction and isn't a bad move. I hope there's another Zelda game this generation in maybe 2 or 3 years, but that game should be what a true 3D Zelda will be with a Link reminiscent of the one showed at the Spaceworld show.

Sonic said:
The problem with the Final Fantasy series is that it never really goes onto trying anything different or new. Square uses the same old tried and true techniques at making the games and just throw in new graphics and epic storyline for each sequel. While Final Fantasi XI is a little different, it might be too late for some gamers. There really isn't anything to go back to the Final Fantasy series for, the game devs don't give gamers enough of a reason to go back to the series. To me, FF6 and FF7 were the pinnacle of the series, the high points. After those games everything went downhill. I guess FFX did help a bit, but it's still the same old stuff with a new storyline and the battle system getting a different name. If FF12 tries something really different and new while letting the gamer exploring the world a little bit more and have a bit of non linearity then it could be a huge success. The game needs to go into a new direction and offer some different types of gameplay, and it's time to completely overhaul the battle system and come up with something new. Either that or make a sequel to Final Fantasy VII with what should go into 12. Thay's my fantasy...

Zelda series has been so successful and adored because the titles aren't shoved down our faces every year or 2 and there is usually something different enough through each different game that gamers will want to pick it up. The game allows more freedom and is a different type of game all together, but it's a type of game that works well. Miyamato went with cell shading in the new game and while some people don't agree with it I must say it's a new direction and isn't a bad move. I hope there's another Zelda game this generation in maybe 2 or 3 years, but that game should be what a true 3D Zelda will be with a Link reminiscent of the one showed at the Spaceworld show.

exactly my thoughts... still i am going to buy Final Fantasy 10-2 (which sounds good so far, from instant-airship to the job system remade into dress system...)... and i'll buy Final Fantasy 11 with the online adapter if it ever makes it to europe. and i will certainly buy Final Fantasy 12...

the thing is, for people like me, we just can't resist to see what Square comes up with everytime. even if the structure is the same as a century ago, we want to see how epically whacky the story is, we want to experience the high production values (high is an understatement)...

it's like going to the movies to see the new big budget summer blockbuster... u just can't resist...

still, i'm also waiting for Suikoden3, Xenosaga and Star Ocean 3 to come out here in EU... u know, all those games that give an experience regardless of how linear they are. who cares about linearity when a game can give u a formidable experience

london-boy said:
jvd said:

Just thought i'd share

now why is it that at the 11th installment Nintendo manage to pull out a pretty neat piece of work, whereas the final fantasy series has been stalling since installment 7? (pretty much)...

oh maybe because we now have 13 final fantasies (is that right?) :LOL:

just ignore me... im not starting a flame war, just thought i should share that.... and everyone knows how much i love final fantasy really, spending 150 Hours on FFX is enough to prove that...

They counted gameboy games too . Final fantsy is close to 30 if we throw in gameboy games :)

Grall said:

For storyline reasons. Zanarkand doesn't 'exist' any more in the standard sense. Make sense to you? However, you CAN go back to Besaid island, the first area in the main world.

Er... ok...

I'm sorry to hear you say that. The voice acting IMO is superb, and the plot... look down.

OK, so you stopped at the Blitzball tournament... which means you haven't met back up with Auron yet, which means one of the more 'dramatic' dramas of the plot is coming RIGHT UP. You picked a great time to stop, just so you know...

And what the HECK is wrong with not letting you skip cutscenes? WTF is wrong with you people! 90% of the experience is the STORY LINE! If you skip cutscenes you're going to miss key points of the story! And WHO BLOODY WELL CARES if it branches or not? There aren't that many games that do! And even FF4, which you mentioned a short way up, didn't branch in any way.

Forcing you to have a particular person... as in Cloud? Well, it might be because THE STORY IS CENTERED AROUND HIM. He plays a part in EVERY SINGLE EVENT, minus the few parts where he is incapacitated.

And I believe it IS explained, VERY EARLY ON IN FACT that they split the group up so they could move around more easily.

It makes a little less sense in FFX, because technically all seven characters are with you at all times but only three can fight... but then again, the game would be way too easy if you could use all seven at once! The very fact that you can only use three adds a lot of strategy to FFX's fighting. Er... oops! But strategy is an element of gameplay.. hmm, that must mean it can't exist at all in a Final Fantasy. :-?

Please tell me how you can say that about the graphics with a straight face? The only serious flaw in the game's graphics is the absence of MIP mapping, making for a lot of texture shimmering in some scenes... other than that it's incredible, even compared to many GameCube and Xbox games.

They counted gameboy games too . Final fantsy is close to 30 if we throw in gameboy games

Too bad... Those aren't Final Fantasy games, they're SaGa games with FF on the label for the US market. Did they count the WSC games as well? (which would be interesting since they're the same games as the original Famicom games, just enhanced... Same with the PSOne remakes).

archie4oz said:
They counted gameboy games too . Final fantsy is close to 30 if we throw in gameboy games

Too bad... Those aren't Final Fantasy games, they're SaGa games with FF on the label for the US market. Did they count the WSC games as well? (which would be interesting since they're the same games as the original Famicom games, just enhanced... Same with the PSOne remakes).

they aren't counting any ff games , it was londen boy and i in another thread.

Time mag counted zelda game boy games thats how they got 11. If a game is final fantsy its a final fantsy game. Even if its saga or tactics . Other wise one might say mgs vr missions was not a mgs game u know what i mean ?

So then by your logic, slapping an MGS label on ZOE would automatically make it an MGS game? I can see it now! Konami re-badges Suikoden III as MGS:The Fanstasy Years... And sales of Suikoden, er.. MGS double...

archie4oz said:
So then by your logic, slapping an MGS label on ZOE would automatically make it an MGS game? I can see it now! Konami re-badges Suikoden III as MGS:The Fanstasy Years... And sales of Suikoden, er.. MGS double...

well the adventures of link was considered one of the 11 games by time magazine and it was considered a zelda by everyone else. Considering there is no zelda in the game why would it be a zelda game ?

well the adventures of link was considered one of the 11 games by time magazine and it was considered a zelda by everyone else.

Well the more dedicated Zelda fans sure don't...

Considering there is no zelda in the game why would it be a zelda game ?

Zelda games have tended to revolve around Link not Zelda, so it makes little difference. At least they were both done by the same development teams, and were directly related to each other.

FFL should be considered FFs simply because they weren't. They simply got that label in North America to boost sales. It'd be like calling SSBM; Legend of Zelda: The Cage Match to boost sales using the Zelda name. (Oh, and I was remiss with the number of SaGa titles... It's 9 not 6. 11 if you want to count the 2 Wonderswan remakes).

Did you count the first Seiken Densetsu title as a Final Fantasy as well?

well the adventures of link was considered one of the 11 games by time magazine and it was considered a zelda by everyone else. Considering there is no zelda in the game why would it be a zelda game ?

And the CDI Zelda game, that you actually play as Zelda is forgotten.

Well the more dedicated Zelda fans sure don't...

Serious ?

It'd be like calling SSBM; Legend of Zelda:

Or GC SC2 as Legend of Zelda: Link's Soul ;)

hey if they name it that then thats what it is . don't blame me blame the guys that name them :)

Back