Halo 3 not impressing me right now...

Other than the character models they are not a huge step up, I have faith in Bungie that they'll pull out a pretty amazing looking game though. I gotta admit the character model in a shot like this is pretty damned nice:
1164173174.jpg

Improved ground textures and lighting would make worlds of difference.

Well, at least textures are better filtered than in any other next-gen game.
I don't think that these pictures are aweful, but I hope the game's graphics will be vastly improved.

I think people should wait until single player screens/videos of the near finished game are released.

A crazy thought ,i know.....

In the recent EGM it was mentioned how the graphics in multiplayer that they played were not that impressive. But that what they were shown of the single player was much much better and that Bugie was certainly going to upgrade the MP to that level of graphics. Looking at the screens in EGM and online I can certainly say there are certain aspects that are very impressive but hampred by what seems to be older textures and models.

I'm a Halo and 360 fan and I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed with these as well. They're not bad but they're not achieving the Wow factor you kind of expect from Halo 3 shots. I'm optimistic they'll improve it though, still plenty of time left. At least the gameplay sounds like it's on the right track from the early multiplayer previews.

Even if Halo3 doesn't look as good as say, GoW, it will still be fun. The quality of a game is based upon more than just looks.

-Dave

Wow, Alpha, multiplayer graphics don't live up to what you expect the final to look. Back away from your keyboard. Do not post again until you can promise not to infect the rest of us with retardation.

Why are they releasing screenshots of the game this early? Okay, it will probably gain more hype when it evolves all the time. Like with motorstorm, people were like wow this looks like crap. Now people are drooling all over it.

I think they are still kinda killing the Halo hype at the moment with these screenshots, Its halo, it should look good and play good. Not a big fan of Halo serie myself but I still can say this game should be delivering much more with the eye candy. Why release shots of it when its in alpha stage?

Other than the character models they are not a huge step up

Funny, I think that Master Chief looks pretty plain. Halo1 had reflection maps on metallic surfaces, whereas this one seems to have some simple phong specular - and a lame overbright one to make things worse; and the texture is boring, a simple green coor with very little variation. It looks more like a simple plastic suit, they'd need to go a lot further with details and such.

I mean, just look at this:
http://www.3dtotal.com/home2/gallery/images/big/2293.jpg
or this:
redthing.jpg

The texture needs a lot more wear and dirt, paint should be flaking from the edges and revealing the raw silverish metal underneath, the dirt should have more contrast, the speculars could be replaced with reflection and a more complex shader, and so on. I understand Bungie's desire for their own unique art style and they shouldn't make Halo3 look like Gears - but worn metal has a look that's been established in several decades of commercial art, and they should put some more effort into their lead character's textures.

You're right the texture's in that image you posted are very impressive, and you can see there are a ton of effects they could(should) use to get that realistic worn metal look. I just meant in comparison to the Halo 2 multiplayer models:

562116_20050708_screen004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=877991&postcount=55

But....since this is a specific thread...

Bungie talks about the screenshots "in-depth":
http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=ilikethisgame

My own observations:

High Ground:

the underside of the AR is looking beefeh (more bulbous). Warthog tires are new models (polygons for the grip...thing...extended... you see?). Fire on ground is new (exploding spike grenade apparently). Spike grenade is in the air. And the Brrraaapp guns are back (on the ground). More refined Ghost.

Valhalla:

Nice mountain range... doesn't look like a repeated texture. Start of the laser looks naff. The shadows on the ATV aren't so hot, but they look like those shadow buff'd ones in Halo 2 seen in the campaign at various points. Pretty nice lookin' Forerunner structures though pretty 'typical' looking from an architectural standpoint. Nice rock texture.

Snowbound:

very cool structure. :D Reminds me of the U-Shaped dropship from the first game. It's purple and blue too, so it must be Covenant. The shotgun also has a more bulbous grip AND the light has been moved to the left side. Pink Spartan has an interesting body pose (more natural looking). Looks like they're applying a similar LOD system with faraway objects that dither and fade away out of existance. The orange reflection on the blue spartan on his right arm looks nice.. So does the plasma 'nade explosion. The um... planet in the top right has that Coruscant feel with those giant crop circles that aren't crops. Pretty nice reflection of the grenade explosion on the icy ground (bottom right). Those frag grenades have never looked better. :)

Mancannon screenshot (FP view):

No AA!! Hand model view is still the same from Halo 2 (5 dips instead of the triangular glove with 3 dips). Laser cannon looks like placeholder - almost no real detail to it except for the "Danger: xxxx live wires" bit.

Warthog blowing up

Hm... two laser shots... one cannon. Single point in time. :???: Bumpy tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back