360: Video Marketplace now LIVE!

Alcatel sues Microsoft for patent infringement

11/22/2006 11:16:35 AM, by Nate Anderson

Alcatel, the French manufacturer of telecommunications gear, has filed two separate complaints against Microsoft in a Texas court, claiming that Microsoft has infringed on seven Alcatel patents. The court documents do not give examples of Microsoft's alleged bad behavior, but we can get some idea of what's at stake by looking at the cited patents.

Several of the patents in question have to do with video decoding and processing. Patent 5,659,539, for instance, was granted back in 1997 and covers a "Method and Apparatus for Frame Accurate Access of Digital Audio-Video Information." It describes a system for playing back video at a "second presentation rate" even when the stream was encoded for viewing at a "first presentation rate." Several other patents cover similar concepts.

The target may well be Microsoft's own IPTV middleware programs, which rely on accurately navigating within compressed digital files in order to keep streams synchronized and to offer services like video on demand. The Microsoft IPTV stack has become one of the most popular for worldwide IPTV deployments, and Alcatel may want a piece of the licensing money. But the target could just as easily be the Xbox 360.

That's because Alcatel is in the process of merging with Lucent, which is currently fighting its own legal battle with Microsoft over the video decoding capabilities found in the 360. In a court filing back in March, Lucent claimed that Microsoft was infringing Lucent patents by including "'out of the box' MPEG-2 decoding capability" in the console.

Alcatel's own patent infringement claims mesh well with the Lucent case. Several of the patents deal with video processing and decoding, and MPEG processing is explicitly mentioned in several cases. But other patents are more opaque. Two deal with a "Deterministic User Authentication Service for Communication Network" designed to allow personal network connectivity to users of large institutional networks. Is this a shot at Xbox Live? IPTV? Vista? This second court case is less clear, and Alcatel isn't giving more details than necessary.

The company said in a statement that it has been in licensing talks with Microsoft, but that the talks had recently broken off. Alcatel is asking the judge for triple damages based on a claim of "willful infringement" by Microsoft. Microsoft has yet to file a response.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061122-8272.html

Slow day so might aswell post this.

I don't know what your bandwidth is, but for the avarage Joe this would never work.

with the VoD service of my ISP the movie starts immediately. the path between my access and the video server is way shorter and is entirely controlled by the ISP.

So...around this time last year I went on to complain about the VIDEO section on the Media Blade. So in keeping with tradition, I feel the need to complain again.

Here is what I want for the spring update: Season Passes or whatever they want to call them, with the same feature we have in Live Arcade, Auto Download. Of course this requires a much larger HDD, or the ability to download on the PC and share to the 360 or copy to the PC. I mean, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate and everything...(even in Boot Camp!), so I can get me some of that Live Anywhere integration...lets go!

I'm lazy I don't want to have to go through and select every single show to get the complete season I'm an HD-**ore! so I will max that 13GBs in minutes. I'm dying for a reason to ditch my HD cable box, I could drop that extra $80/month on something else.

Just got done watching Posiden HD.

Having watched this is the theater, this is very "film" like so don't expect Discovery HD levels or anything like that.

The film grain is preserved quite well but some of the very dark scenes were showing some banding/black crush issues. Maybe a total of 1-2mins of the total feature. The detail in the sharp scenes is good as is the color saturation and flesh tones. There is absolutely no macroblocking in any of the fast scenes. The sound quality is VERY good. I was impressed with the SQ. My surround system/sub got a great workout throughout the film and the surround effects were plenty.

In comparison to Comcast HD (HBO HD, Starz HD, Cinemax HD) movies:
Blows it away. Simply put, Comcast HD is a macroblocking mess and a lot of the movies are "zoomed in" to fill the screen which destorys the normal scale. The 1-2mins of total issues I mentioned would be more like 40+ mins of this mess with the film being so dark.

In comparison to HD DVD:
HD DVD wins but that is expected. However, since this film is very dark, I'll wait for a more "bright" movie to judge it properly. Still, I expect a HD DVD version to be sharper and not have any banding/black crush issues.

360 performance:
No glitches whatsoever during playback. The 360 never got loud either. As loud as say when you're browsing the dashboard which, to me, is very quiet.

Overall I found this be a very enjoyable experience and it hit after the fact that "hey, i just watched this off my 360." For the masses, this is "HD enough." If they can lower the prices of a HD movie to $4 and fix their download speed issues (which I believe they will after they gauge the demand) this should be a good hit with the consumer. HD DVD and Blu Ray: meet the future......

Reactions: jb
you can't start watching the movie immediately ? not good..

and why have to pay 50 % more for the HD version ?
this doesn't reflect costs.

the natural provider for VoD is the ISP, not the console manufacturer.

How do we know costs? The bandwidth is 1-2 GB on SD and 4-6 GB on HD. More than double.

I'm sure it's a demand thing, aka economics 101 though.

On the last, I agree consoles aren't going to be the endpoint for this, but since the only competition right now seems to be Comcasts little known service (which of course isn't available if you dont have Comcast), maybe microsoft will at the least get some butts in gear on the competition.

And of course HD DVD will be better, it is using 25-30 GB's, where the Live movies use a fraction of that. Sounds like the Live movies do look good though.

Currently the service is completely broken though. I have been trying for two full days to dl V for Vendetta and am still only 61%. Ridiculous. IIRC Superman comes to the service next week, I cant imagine what that will be like.

The selection while better than first hinted at, still leaves a huge amount to be desired, and needs quick improvement.
________
Portable vapourizer

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if and how they are enforcing the MPAA ratings (or the TV ratings)?

Hong.

I wouldn't have thought they need to as 360 does have a parental lock function built in.
Much like television broadcasters can't help it if people allow kids to stay up beyond the watershed or to buy in PPVs they're not old enough for, they can (I think) assume that parents would prevent the purchase of inappropriate content or even Microsoft points...

Sounds amazing so far. With a Userbase of 4 Mill. using XBL this should be something.

Superman availible next week? F*** YOU MS MONEYWHORES I AM IN!

Srsly, someone with an US Acc. tried downloading from EU? Does it work?
Is it possible to use MSPoints from the EU-Stores with a US Account? IF so...
that would be :oops: srlsy COOL.

Sounds amazing so far. With a Userbase of 4 Mill. using XBL this should be something.

Superman availible next week? FUCK YOU MS MONEYWHORES I AM IN!

Uh, dont qoute me on that. I just thought I had seen it on some Xbox.com release list. But skimming just now I didn't see any release lists at all there.

http://videoeta.com/movie/68997

It is coming out next week and is a WB release though, which is on the service, so could be something to it.

Honestly I think right now microsoft is trying to downplay the whole thing as much as possible while they presumably straighten out the server fiasco, because I dont see Xbox.com touting the movies much at all anymore. So if they do have Superman, they probably wouldn't want to tell anyone.
________
Web Shows

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use this service outside of the US, you would need a US credit card to add points to the account? Yes?

Yup. It works.

/hush

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to use this service outside of the US, you would need a US credit card to add points to the account? Yes?

Nope. Points are points. There's also pre-paid cards by the way...

And MS is working on the mess: http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2006/11/23/video-marketplace-status.aspx

I just hung up on a conference call on this issue, and I wanted to post an update. As you know, we have been experiencing technical difficulties associated with the extremely high number of downloads from the Video Marketplace service over the past 24 hours.

If you are having problems or have questions, you may want to head over to the Video Markeplace forum on Xbox.com. Members of the Video Marketplace team are over there answering questions and providing status updates on issues.

the bandwidth costs next to nothing.even if the HD version was 6x bigger in volume, it wouldn't justify a 50% price increase.

'Scuse me.

Capitalism police (again) must speak up:

Costs don't and shouldn't dictate the price. Supply and demand does. If $2 extra for HD is worth it to enough people, it will continue to be priced accordingly.

Back