360: Video Marketplace now LIVE!

I bought/downloaded an episode of Star Trek (the original series). Picture looks very good for the material and I thought it was interesting that they've added surround to the audio. Standard definition, a little over 600 meg download. I'll have to do a hi-def movie rental/download and see how it performs.

Tom Crews

Wow, Live Marketplace must be getting hammered. I'm trying to download V for Vendetta, and it takes a while to even connect to the video.

microsoft needs bigger servers or they underestimated demand.
________
CURVYQUEEN20

Last edited by a moderator:
The Marketplace is absolutely getting hammered. My take is they didn't think the demand would be this high. I imagine it will be 2-7 days before the increase the overall bandwith.

Second, I am rather impressed. The sheer amount of selections of TV series purchases is rather impressive. I got a few HD episodes and they are stunning in 720p.

While the movie rental selection is rather limited at this point, it will only increase in time.

What a value add this feature is. Also to note, while the downloads from marketplace seem very slow at this time, I have experienced no lag or any other issues playing any Live games.

The Marketplace is absolutely getting hammered. My take is they didn't think the demand would be this high. I imagine it will be 2-7 days before the increase the overall bandwith.

Second, I am rather impressed. The sheer amount of selections of TV series purchases is rather impressive. I got a few HD episodes and they are stunning in 720p.

While the movie rental selection is rather limited at this point, it will only increase in time.

What a value add this feature is. Also to note, while the downloads from marketplace seem very slow at this time, I have experienced no lag or any other issues playing any Live games.

Yep. I called it :)..seriously, I thought this was gonna be a big, cool deal. The future really..

I started V for Vendetta probably an hour ago and it's still at 0%. Ridiculous. I figured these could be decent 4-5 hour downloads at one point, but not like this.

It's sort of cool that they have somewhere to see the top movie downloads..basically a sales chart. Guess #1? V for Vendetta...

Thinking about prices, $6 is a chunk for a HD movie. Probably cheaper than the ever gouging BB though, then again many BB's still have essentially no late fees, meaning you can keep it 15-30 days without worry. The price could definitly use to be lower, though. Something like 4.50 would have been real sweet. $3 a dream.

Going forward, improvements need to be: bigger selection (of course, that will come in time).

24 hours is too limiting. A increase to 48 hours is absoluely needed, if not various longer options as well, perhaps priced accordingly. But no less than 48-72 hours imo. 72 hour baseline would be nice.

Bigger HD. 60-80-100GB..but that just delays the problem. There's going to need to be some way to "permanently" own these one day. Maybe they could even sell a USB DVD burner or something..I dont know..also extending out to use your PC HDD as storage might help. If broadband connections get fast enough, it might get to the point where "owning" is simply knowing that it's tied to your gamertag, and you could redownload what's not on your HDD quickly (and most stuff you'd need would be kept there, especially in the 100GB HDD future).

Anyways, I cannot comment on visual quality of the 720P yet, but I'm expecting to be pleasantly surprised. Given these file sizes, at 4-6GB for full movies, it almost makes one wonder why HD on DVD wasn't tried more..

This is also cool because, since I got my HDTV (for my 360) I've been struggling for hi-def content. Getting digital cable is an extra cost I decided I'm not willing to pay at this time. I dont have an HD DVD player. And my set doesn't even have a HD tuner for over the air HD reception. So in practice, I am very pleased that this is a new way to get 720P video content, pretty much my only way.
________
LusieR

IIRC the TV/Movies were on a totally seperate network from regular XBL content and gaming so no one should be seeing an impact there. However it seems like the seperate network is getting slammed regardless. :)

Well... I will say that despite my earlier concerns about how this will impact Cable TV providers (which nobody seems to care about.... until they pass legislation preventing this sort of thing..), that in order to get HD movies from Comcast On Demand, you need to have the HD box from Comcast. Which requires an additional subscription.

I bring this up because you are all talking about "V" and that was available (for me) at least two months ago. BUT (and it's a big but... it's an Oprah Winfrey butt), I couldn't get it on HD because I don't have an HD Comcast box... just their normal one.

So now it appears, if what you are saying is correct, I could get V in HD without having to pay the additional $5 a month (?? NOT sure on the pricing) for a HD cable box from Comcast, and instead get the content through MS.

That completely negates the fact that the MS movies are $1 or $2 more than the normal "On Demand".

Because the only way to get HD from the cable providers is to pay for THEIR HD-BOX, and that alone costs at least $5 a month, without content. That's just for the priveledge of being able to get HD.

I still say this service is actually TOO GOOD and screws the cable providers three ways till Sunday and there will be attempts at LEGISLATION to stop this.

Right now, I've got "Digital Cable", and I've got an HDTV. But I can't get HD Movies "On Demand" because I don't have their "HD Box" (which requires a subscription to HD Channels which is above and beyond what you pay to begin with.)

If I can buy a 360, and get HD Movies from MS without having to pay the monthly rental fee for the HD Cable Box (which is ON TOP OF THE PRICE of the "rental" for the "DIGITAL" cable box), you've got to be kidding me.

The cable companies are screwed. And screwed BIG TIME. Not in a little way. More like in a HUGE "I just took your entire profit stream and diverted it into my pockets" kinda way.

I don't know what is going on but I can't access the updated video market place. It doesn't show the changes described on xbox .com and doesn't list any of the new show updates on my xbox. everything looks the same...

If broadband connections get fast enough, it might get to the point where "owning" is simply knowing that it's tied to your gamertag, and you could redownload what's not on your HDD quickly (and most stuff you'd need would be kept there, especially in the 100GB HDD future).

Thatis where I see it going as wll, although it would be nice to mabe store it localy, like burning on HDDVD or maybe just a DVD or something, in the long run i think the best thing would be to just own in the way that you are associated to it and can redownload it and so on...

Is the 24 hour limit from the minute you start downloading, the minute it's fully downloaded, or the minute you first view it?

Is the 24 hour limit from the minute you start downloading, the minute it's fully downloaded, or the minute you first view it?

The last one.
I think this is good service, but MS needs to crank up the bandwith big time. If I pay for a service, I expect that my download speeds are atleast 50% of what my connection allows. That's about 400-500kbs right now. That doesn't happen too often on Xbox Live.

Well lets hope the service does get utterly slammed.

Then maybe the movie/tv companies will go ahead and say 'ohh wow, in north america alone we are making half a million dollars a day from this, lets get this thing international! Pronto!'.

*crosses fingers*

Well lets hope the service does get utterly slammed.

It does.

Due to the overwhelming popularity of the new full-length content following the launch on Xbox Live Marketplace we are aware some gamers are experiencing temporary difficulties accessing content, due to the volume of demand. Download times will vary depending on broadband speed and size of content, and we expect the current issues some gamers are experience will be resolved soon.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/microsoft-responds-to-slow-movie-download-issue-216788.php

Also, on the subject of streaming:

Fortunately, the service's streaming technology should let you start watching the movie in about ten minutes or so. Of course all of that is based on a bunch of variables, so experiences won't be the same for everyone.

you can't start watching the movie immediately ? not good..

and why have to pay 50 % more for the HD version ?
this doesn't reflect costs.

the natural provider for VoD is the ISP, not the console manufacturer.

you can't start watching the movie immediately ? not good..

I don't know what your bandwidth is, but for the avarage Joe this would never work.

Edit - by the way: if you have a fat connection, those 10 minutes will be be less anyway.

Back