GOW:Over 1 million sold in first 2 weeks.

briefly OT: I played the Halo Trailer (not commercial) for one of female friends last night. AT the end of it she was like...:oops: "Holy Sh*T was that for a movie or a game? I might have to get a 360!"

Now I didnt beleive that she would a get a 360 to play Halo of all things, but I think she was seriously impressed.

... You made a female friend of yours watch the Halo trailer...?

Ain't ya the Romeo!!

... You made a female friend of yours watch the Halo trailer...?

Ain't ya the Romeo!!

:p We were in the basement about to watch "V for Vendetta" in HD DVD. (maybe one day I'll post pics of my rig) When I pulled up the x360 blades she was like "what games do you have?" I showed her stuff on Live arcade after I pointed to my stack... then i said "hey watch this..." I think it was more the music and the atmosphere than the graphics per se... the end of that trailer is very vivid and rapturing.

Then we watched V and took it in... ;)

Sorry I just had to post this as it seems appropriate:

cliffy_money2.gif

Oh god no. I don't think that would work, with Halo I can understand it but with gears...perhaps I'll get used to the idea in the long run though. :s

I think gears actually lends itself to this more than Halo does. They work in 4 man teams, so that works well with a system similar to DoW (with better ai and such) and they have a number of examples of vehicles including Heli's and tanks. The locust would work well as a swarm race, and they have some uber units like the corpser to take the place of vehicles.

I think gears actually lends itself to this more than Halo does. They work in 4 man teams, so that works well with a system similar to DoW (with better ai and such) and they have a number of examples of vehicles including Heli's and tanks. The locust would work well as a swarm race, and they have some uber units like the corpser to take the place of vehicles.

I'm inclined to give Halo more points, considering its origins, and even its current setup (due to how it evolved over the course of development).

Nevertheless, congrats to Epic on the major hit. Cliffy's living the life now, complete with toilet paper made out of dollar bills!

God forbid a game development company gets sick of making the same series over and over and over again... (IMO, it would be a real shame to tie Bungie down with just making the next Halo game, and it would also disappoint me if the franchise were milked like EA and football. Franchise expansion...I'm pretty much OK with. But FPS Halo 8, which only adds 2 new features to Halo 2, .... no)

In any case, I believe that rumor comes from the EGM rumor mill in this latest issue. "Get this: I hear Microsoft is crafting a brilliant plan to flip-flop Gears and Halo every year, so expect Gears of War 2 in 2008 and a new Halo game in 2009."

I just say "BS," of course. Or perhaps J Allard's dream will finally come true, just with Halo coming out every 2 years instead of 1, and Gears taking the year between. Milking isn't something I can appreciate very much. I somehow doubt that it's going to be possible to tastefully take Gears of War beyond part 3. But, eh...

If Bungie is tired of developing Halo, I'm sure they can A) split themselves into multiple parts, some working on the next halos and some working on new genres. B) Hire an all new fresh team to make Halo, that isn't tired of working on it. C) Farm it out to another dev team within microsoft that would be eager to do it.

In other words, suck it up Bungie.

Do we hear that polyphony digital is tired of making racing games? That Nintendo is tired of Mario games? (and pokeman game..and mario kart games..and smash brothers games..and luigi games..and mario rpg games..)? Thought not.

Do we hear that polyphony digital is tired of making racing games? That Nintendo is tired of Mario games? (and pokeman game..and mario kart games..and smash brothers games..and luigi games..and mario rpg games..)? Thought not.

We don't hear about it, but you can rest assured that after 60 titles or so, the people at Nintendo must cringe at the mere mention of the name Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.

We don't hear about it, but you can rest assured that after 60 titles or so, the people at Nintendo must cringe at the mere mention of the name Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_games

Over the years, Mario has appeared in more than 130 video games to date, both with starring and less significant roles. Here is a chronological list of licensed games that Mario has appeared in.

Yeah, that list specifically states that some of those 130 games arent "pure" mario games. But even if we, lets say cut it in half, thats 65 games, and its still not stopping them :p

Ancient Post Get!
If Bungie is tired of developing Halo, I'm sure they can A) split themselves into multiple parts, some working on the next halos and some working on new genres. B) Hire an all new fresh team to make Halo, that isn't tired of working on it. C) Farm it out to another dev team within microsoft that would be eager to do it.
Going by development videos, comments, and Dean Takahashi's book, they've tried A before. Ultimately, they've always had to consolidate their efforts to ship Halo, dropping their other projects. During Halo 2's development, by the time of E3 '03, they had an engine whose renderer had to be almost completely rewritten, the missions they had up to that point had been scrapped shortly before that, and they had no content for the game (outside the demo level)--and the demo level wasn't even fun. Things getting thrown away is part of the normal development cycle, but according to Takahashi, that was a more direct result of trying to have some higher-up guys try to lead a second project while another managed Halo 2's development. Whether this is ultimately true is more than a little iffy, but if it is, it's easy to see how Bungie could feel burned by this, much like we saw they were burned by the graphics of E3 2002 and 2003, only to severely cut back on the engine. That's why we saw what we did with last year's E3: A (hopefully relatively) simple scene in the then-current engine (with locked-in features/aspects/performance thresholds) that wouldn't kill the framerate. I don't see Bungie devoting a healthy portion of resources to any other project if they were to move on to another Halo FPS--XBLA titles for sure, though.

B) Would that be much different than C? That's like a guy hiring you for your excellent brick-laying skills, and then sending a guy you hired off the street 2 hours ago in your place. Sure, he may carry the same company nametag, but the customer probably isn't going to get what they expected and wanted.

C) We already see this with Halo Wars to some excent, and if another Halo FPS is called for it'll likely happen there. I fully expect Bungie to go this route.

Besides that, I can't help but see Bungie's worth as more than just "the Halo cow." Even though none of their other games enjoyed the commercial success of halo, they were (IMO) excellent games. I think the spiritual successor to Minotaur, Myth, Pathways into Darkness, etc. could all become pretty good sources of revenue. Or a brand new IP in a genre they haven't really touched. They probably couldn't become Halo, but there are plenty of other good dev teams out there, and I don't believe Bungie is necessary (from a primary developer POV) for the Halo IP to continue succeeding--so long as they support it in its various forms--and we should see whether this works for videogames as well when Halo Wars is released.

In other words, suck it up Bungie.

Sucking it up might be a large number of employees realizing Bungie = Halo, and moving on to (smaller) and better things. ;)

Not that we've ever really heard Bungie complain either. They've certainly hinted they want to move on, however. Also, what's the greatest number of mario games any (well, let's say top 20 people) one person has worked on? Of course, I'm looking at this from the perspective that people can only do their best work when they are highly self-motivated to get the job done. Money can go a long ways, but I've seen far more examples of where it falls short of the former.

Edit: Also, really off-topic here! This topic is for pimping Gears of War's 2.7million + copies sold world wide!

Last edited by a moderator:
if another Halo FPS is called for it'll likely happen there.

IF?

So you honestly think there's any chance this is the last one?

I really dont care about Bungie. microsoft owns the IP and they will continue making them.

Bill Gates said in a interview with Glenn Beck on TV, something to the effect that Halo was microsoft's biggest, I dont remember his term, but consumer property or something to that effect. And he was talking about the whole company, not just gaming. And that's true. So you think, this is the last Halo FPS?

And again, I rattled off twenty franchise series that continue to go on essentially endlessly on competing platforms, I dont care how they get there, yet Halo has to stop? That's simply unacceptable.

How bout those Gears sales lol.

I am not that big on Gears anyway. If part 2 isn't a big step up in fun factor I will not be thrilled. I'm far more psyched for UT2k7.

IF?

So you honestly think there's any chance this is the last one?
My Grandpa once said to me: "absolutes are for [pansies]." (or not)

Bill Gates said in a interview with Glenn Beck on TV, something to the effect that Halo was microsoft's biggest, I dont remember his term, but consumer property or something to that effect. And he was talking about the whole company, not just gaming. And that's true. So you think, this is the last Halo FPS?
I apologize. My use of the word "if" for an extremely likely situation rather than "when" caused you to mistakenly come to the conclusion that I believe Halo as a shooter dies with Bungie's direct involvement ending (if that is ultimately the case). I certainly wish it would if it wasn't going to be very tastefully done (I'd say 3 years between releases, some extra maps that eventually became free, etc. count as such), but I'm quite sane enough to know that MS will make every attempt to milk their cash cow as much as possible: RTS, FPS, MMO, top-down shooter, RPG, platformers, Halo Karts, Grunt Golfing (Madda Cheeb?), all of it! If certain (very powerful) people high up in the chain get their way (and they very likely will).

J Allard wanted Halo pumped out every year, like an EA assembly line product. With Ed Fries gone, his wish is likely to come closer to reality every year. A dream come true... (taking everything into account, this has been inevitable for a long time--it really isn't absolute, due to internal power struggles/politics, but it has been the likely course, especially after Fries decided the boat wasn't the one he wanted to be on).

And again, I rattled off twenty franchise series that continue to go on essentially endlessly on competing platforms, I dont care how they get there, yet Halo has to stop? That's simply unacceptable.

How bout those Gears sales lol.
Simply unacceptable? Odd word choice (one for one?). On one had, there's accepting that games are made for money, and there's applauding companies on their excellent business decisions. On the other, there's deciding that this makes for the best games, rooting for them and voting "I love being a ****ing sucker" with one's wallet. I'm not one for series whoring (a new title every year, or even every 18 months, for 4-5+ games? No thanks). All business and no pleasure makes for a good reason to skip a number of games. But, like I said, eh...

It seems we have quite different perspectives on a great number of things, so I suppose we'll just have to leave that as that... (unless you insist, in which case, PM me. We can discuss our views if you feel we haven't presented them explicitly enough)

It costs 60$ not 600$

everyone knows that ;)

i was implying the impact of this game on sales of 360 :smile:

now that Chris Sachell is saying over half of consumers are non xbox owners, does this mean that 360 has high potential to sell over 40m units?? (assuming that proportion of xb owners to new 360 owners doesn't change)

Back