GOW:Over 1 million sold in first 2 weeks.

I think I'll be picking up a 360 this weekend along with this game, maybe some points and an extra controller. I played it at my cousin's house on a bitsy witsy SDTV (23in) and it looked fantastic. Can't wait to see it in HD! Can't hold out any longer... :devilish:

This game hasn't sold 2 mil so fast for no reason.

It's the game we have been waiting for the past 5 years. We have heard certain games promised, promised to deliver X, Y, Z and Gears flat out does.

In Single player ALONE.

Add the fact that you have at least split screen co-op and the game goes to a whole new level. As much of a fan of Halo as I was/am, I wish I could have spent that time playing Gears instead of Halo.

This game will be selling for a LOOOOOOOONG time.

It doesn't need kiosks, it doesn't need adverts at tis point. It just needs for your buddy to say hey, c'mon by my house tonight, Bring a 6, I got the L, and they KNOW what Gears is all about.

This is a killer app.

Just think, we are a month in, and it has already sold 1/3 as much as Halo 2 has so far. That's a scary fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, that is a good point, I didn't think of that. You'd think they could figure out a workaround like disable the blood and bleeping the swearwords, seems like a big wasted opportunity.

It would still be too violent for kiosks.

Besides it wouldn't do the game justice. The single most rewarding thing in that game is chainsaw bayonetting locusts with the subsequent blood+gore fountain.

Cheers

I also heard that MS will apparently be alternating the Halo and Gears franchises year on year. So after Halo 3 comes out then Gears 2 the next year, then Halo 4, then Gears 3, etc, alternating every year or so. Should make for at least one AAA title every year of the 360's existence.

I thought Halo 3 was the last "Halo"...

Obviously there's the halo wars spin off but I don't see that as being a replacement as such in the halo franchise. So unless I'm mistaken in Halo 3 being the final one then I don't see how they can alternate them beyond Halo 3 2007, GoW 2 2008.... which is pretty much how the development cycle would likely fall anyway.

I thought Halo 3 was the last "Halo"...

Obviously there's the halo wars spin off but I don't see that as being a replacement as such in the halo franchise. So unless I'm mistaken in Halo 3 being the final one then I don't see how they can alternate them beyond Halo 3 2007, GoW 2 2008.... which is pretty much how the development cycle would likely fall anyway.

nobody ever said that (last halo).

they may end (rumor) MC's life but there are plenty of other Spartans to base the next game on.

in fact, they would be quite insane to end one of the biggest new franchises ever. :LOL:

I also heard that MS will apparently be alternating the Halo and Gears franchises year on year. So after Halo 3 comes out then Gears 2 the next year, then Halo 4, then Gears 3, etc, alternating every year or so. Should make for at least one AAA title every year of the 360's existence.

source link? hearing things can lead to alot of speculation :LOL:

God forbid a game development company gets sick of making the same series over and over and over again... (IMO, it would be a real shame to tie Bungie down with just making the next Halo game, and it would also disappoint me if the franchise were milked like EA and football. Franchise expansion...I'm pretty much OK with. But FPS Halo 8, which only adds 2 new features to Halo 2, .... no)

In any case, I believe that rumor comes from the EGM rumor mill in this latest issue. "Get this: I hear Microsoft is crafting a brilliant plan to flip-flop Gears and Halo every year, so expect Gears of War 2 in 2008 and a new Halo game in 2009."

I just say "BS," of course. Or perhaps J Allard's dream will finally come true, just with Halo coming out every 2 years instead of 1, and Gears taking the year between. Milking isn't something I can appreciate very much. I somehow doubt that it's going to be possible to tastefully take Gears of War beyond part 3. But, eh...

God forbid a game development company gets sick of making the same series over and over and over again... (IMO, it would be a real shame to tie Bungie down with just making the next Halo game, and it would also disappoint me if the franchise were milked like EA and football. Franchise expansion...I'm pretty much OK with. But FPS Halo 8, which only adds 2 new features to Halo 2, .... no)

In any case, I believe that rumor comes from the EGM rumor mill in this latest issue. "Get this: I hear Microsoft is crafting a brilliant plan to flip-flop Gears and Halo every year, so expect Gears of War 2 in 2008 and a new Halo game in 2009."

I just say "BS," of course. Or perhaps J Allard's dream will finally come true, just with Halo coming out every 2 years instead of 1, and Gears taking the year between. Milking isn't something I can appreciate very much. I somehow doubt that it's going to be possible to tastefully take Gears of War beyond part 3. But, eh...

Micro gears!
= Ninten dogs!

You need to control these little war machines from little kids to adults when they can take the weapons and go to war! You get to see how much angst these little marcus's have in theyr teen years but its all worth it in the end when you are the one controlling these little war machines yourself.

Featuring:

Live duels! Grow your war machines like there's no tomorrow and simply destroy your friends or people online!

Rankings: Angst points, how many war machines you have and how many wars you have won and lost for that matter!

EA style: 20$ gets you 10 of these little war machines, basically for free! (EA thinking).

Another EA add would be, pay 30$ and you get special skills that lets you punish these little fellows. I can only imagine how big of a hit this would be if they managed to make the Angst mode perfect. People would love to smack those war machiens like there's no tomorrow, black & white style!

Very impressive numbers!

Well done to the crew at Epic the game is an astounding success it seems!

Oh god no. I don't think that would work, with Halo I can understand it but with gears...perhaps I'll get used to the idea in the long run though. :s

It would work! Like Silent Storm or Heroes of World War 2 or Faces of War does.

GoW update and TWO new Maps FREE

Update
A Gears of War update should start pushing through the system at some point tomorrow, Tuesday January 9, 2007 prior to the two new multiplayer maps being available on Xbox Live Marketplace on Wednesday January 10, 2007. The maps, plus an introductory video featuring Gears designer Cliff Bleszinski, are free thanks to the kind sponsorship by the Discovery Channel's Future Weapons series which launches next Monday January 15th, 2007. Be sure to check out the show to see some really cool firepower. I expect game designers all across the country will be watching that series very carefully looking for ideas for their future games

Here is a list of what was addressed in this update:

• Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480
• Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress
• Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
• Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
• Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
• Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
• Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
• Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
• Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
• Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
• Added additional cheat detection code
• Additional housekeeping updates
Two New GoW Maps FREE

* Raven Down: A Raven Helicopter has gone down in the middle of a large scale battle with the omnipresent Locust Horde. Gears have taken out the Seeder and gamers join Delta Forces moving into the crash site from all angles to search for survivors.

* Old Bones: In an attempt to eradicate any traces of human history and culture, the Locust Horde has emerged under Sera’s Capitaline Museums and has begun to destroy them brick by brick. Each gamer’s mission is to help the Delta Force recapture the museums before all remnants of humankind’s existence are obliterated.

briefly OT: I played the Halo Trailer (not commercial) for one of female friends last night. AT the end of it she was like...:oops: "Holy Sh*T was that for a movie or a game? I might have to get a 360!"

Now I didnt beleive that she would a get a 360 to play Halo of all things, but I think she was seriously impressed.

Back