AMD 4x4 Motherboard Details Unveiled

it does use unbuffered DDR2. I dont really understand it. Anyone who wants to go processor crazy can just get a Clovertown (8 cores) based Xeon system now for problably the same or a little more that this costs. Core 2 Duo and core based architecture chips are still going to be undisputed in gaming and alot of other stuff.

Oh and according to the inq Asus has exclusivity on the chipsets. I cannot stand asus motherboards.

Well, once they get to quad core, espically when they are at 65nm process.

It would be good to compare Intel QuadCore vs AMD QuadCore and see what the differences are.

Also Xeon 8 Core vs AMD 8x4 and their server 8 Core cpu.

What this does is alow multi CPU with out having to use registered dimm that cost twice as much then unregistered dimms. The Xeon based system and muti socket Opertons is stuck with registered dimms.

Hexus are hinting QuadFX will be with us soon, I'm still not grasping what normal people are going to do with 4 (or 8!) cores, what killer app is on the horizon to drive mainstream demand for multicores?

By the way this product has turned out, it seems far more likely to me that it will hurt low-end/mid-range Opteron sales rather than anything Intel.

Alan Wake...that`s going to be the killer-app...really, they said so:)

I think that a lot of ppl disregard the fact that coding in a parallel manner is harder, that threading can be a PITA, and that scaling to 4 cores(heck, even 2 cores) is still a bit off. But it`s cool to have a helluva lot of cores, no?My argument stands for the common gamer/user, mind you

Alan Wake was at IDF running on Kentsfield, not 4x4. Crysis is what was hinted at being able to use this platform but i'd bet its going to be for marketing more then anything. We're still waiting for true dual core utilization.

I know it was demoed on Kentsfield...but I kindof doubt that when you`re profiling and threading your app you`re going to do it with 4 Intel cores or 4 AMD cores, so if it is quad-core tuned it should receive some advantage from 4x4 too.

PCwatch article with some benchmarks and power measurements (google translated)

Would be nice if some one that understands japanese could do a resume of the most important info.
I couldnt decipher by the translation if the power measurement was the overall total from the PSU or just the motherboard. But im assuming its overall (MB, HD, Fans, Graphics Card etc) otherwise.... :runaway:

Reactions: Rys
PCwatch article with some benchmarks and power measurements (google translated)

Would be nice if some one that understands japanese could do a resume of the most important info.
I couldnt decipher by the translation if the power measurement was the overall total from the PSU or just the motherboard. But im assuming its overall (MB, HD, Fans, Graphics Card etc) otherwise.... :runaway:
It's definitely total system power. But even so, :runaway: * 10!

Back