PS3 sales

Isnt one of the reasons for GoW being so awsome is the gameplay? if you cut that in half wouldnt you just get a average game with awsome gfx?

IMHO, if God of War gameplay was half was good, it would still blow away most games. The game excels on so many levels. Foe example, they could drop the finishing moves and it wasn't change much about gameplay except remove some "wow" factor from the violence. Being there it just adds an extra bit of finesse and satisfaction.

PS3 sales in japan for last week:

PlayStation 3 - 71,727
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137414&page=3

Down 7% from the week before, which was down 44% from the week before that. Though 70k is still quite good, at that rate Sony would sell 3.5million over the year.

457,558 LTD.

Not bad considering there is almost no software whatsover. Realistically it shouldn't even be selling at all. $500-600 for a console with almost zero software. Why are they buying them?

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
VF5

VF5 is no longer exclusive.

NGS is one, though worth noting it's an XBOX port, and that 360 will be recieving NG2. So, Sony still comes out on the bottom there imo.

I can't think of many 3rd party exclusives for either system, and a big one that comes to mind is Splinter Cell 5, and Bioshock. Maybe Wolfenstein??

Too Human, and Mass Effect are both published by MS, as is Alan Wake, Shadow Run, Forza etc.

You won't find VF5 on X360 until late August.

If your are talking 3rd party support for the whole year.. DMC4 and MGS4 are pretty nice pare.

true, but if PS3 is going to be sold out anywhere california for one and the Bay area for two, makes sense.

The real glut from what I've been reading is in middle America and the south.

so we're still looking at anecdotal evidence.

The argument works both ways and still invalid on anecdotal evidence specially on which side of the fence u sit on. Only statistical evidence can determine how typical something is....

@Patsu..THX! man.. for looking out. Got a 60 GB PS3 2 weeks before Xmas.

FFXIII is a big exclusive, a system seller that will easily sell millions. Other "killer" third party exclusives: Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, GT5, Killzone 2 (if it lives up to hype). I guess Lair also, but I'm not very excited about it.

Only Lair is rumored to come out in the first half of the year, although as bad as it looks I'd say they'll have to delay it... And it's a second party game, if we can't treat Mass Effect or Too Human as 3rd party then we can certainly not treat Lair as that...

Week ending Jan 7th for Japan from Vgcharts. Everyone is up from the week before. They either aren't showing the PS2 numbers or the PS3 has cannabalized the PS2 hardware sales... which is possible since only PS2 software is making a showing. And the 360 is doing decent now.

Top 20 software:
1 PSP
2 PS2
5 Wii
12 DS

1 Dragon Quest Monsters Joker DS Enix 271,500 (892,750)
2 Pokemon Diamond / Pearl DS Nintendo 206,750 (4,703,500)
3 Wii Sports Wii Nintendo 149,500 (738,500)
4 New Super Mario Bros DS Nintendo 131,250 (4,145,000)
5 Wii Play Wii Nintendo 124,750 (659,500)
6 Common Knowledge Training DS Nintendo 103,750 (1,136,750)
7 Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 94,500 (4,081,000)
8 Kirby Squeak Squad DS Nintendo 89,750 (869,500)
9 Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 76,750 (4,121,250)
10 Jump Ultimate Stars DS Nintendo 64,250 (615,500)
11 Rockman Star Force DS Capcom 61,500 (305,750)
12 Yakuza 2 PS2 Sega 61,250 (505,750)
13 Wario Ware Smooth Moves Wii Nintendo 52,750 (253,000)
14 Love and Berry DS Collection DS Sega 51,500 (832,500)
15 Brain Training DS Nintendo 49,500 (3,326,750)
16 Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops PSP Konami 49,000 258,500)
17 Seiken Densetsu 4 PS2 Square 46,750 (264,750)
18 Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 46,250 (2,067,250)
19 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii Nintendo 43,500 (332,500)
20 Dragonball Z Sparking Neo Wii Bandai 39,500 (39,500)

Hardware:
DS 305,750
(+75%) 14,425,000
Wii 158,750
(+17%) 1,153,000
PSP 113,750
(+43%) 4,864,500
PS3 68,500
(+12%) 525,250
X360 21,250
(+16%) 320,500

No. Some are actually first party. ;)

Since when is Ninja Theory, Polyphony, Square Enix, and Konami owned by Sony? GG is the only one, now owned by Sony.

FFXIII alone will be all that is needed to justify a PS3. Personally, I pretty much stick to RPGs, platformers, driving/flight games on consoles and stay away from FPS. I have never ever been able to finish any first person shooter on a console, I came close to doing it on Halo when it first came out, but quit on the repetitive reverse run through the library. FPSes are too frustrating to me on consoles, since I am still a heavy PC FPS player who plays in a cal clan. I like the lovely graphics of Gears, but I'll never finish it until a PC port comes out. I didn't even bother finishing the Fall of Man demo. BioShock and Mass Effect are about the only games in the upcoming XB360 list that are compelling to me.

FFXIII and MGS4 are definately must haves for me.

You know, you don't have to go through the Library again, you get teleported out and it's the 'Assault on the control room' level again, without the Scorpion, with Flood-Covenant battles, and it's a lot of fun... Except for its indoor parts.

Since when is Ninja Theory, Polyphony, Square Enix, and Konami owned by Sony? GG is the only one, now owned by Sony.

FFXIII alone will be all that is needed to justify a PS3. Personally, I pretty much stick to RPGs, platformers, driving/flight games on consoles and stay away from FPS. I have never ever been able to finish any first person shooter on a console, I came close to doing it on Halo when it first came out, but quit on the repetitive reverse run through the library. FPSes are too frustrating to me on consoles, since I am still a heavy PC FPS player who plays in a cal clan. I like the lovely graphics of Gears, but I'll never finish it until a PC port comes out. I didn't even bother finishing the Fall of Man demo. BioShock and Mass Effect are about the only games in the upcoming XB360 list that are compelling to me.

FFXIII and MGS4 are definately must haves for me.

Polyphony Digital is part of SCE. The rest aren't, but Heavenly Sword wasn't included because it's Sony published and we were talking about third party published titles -- MGS4 and FF13 weren't included because they aren't 1H '07 titles. I totally agree those titles are must haves though! I'm not really worried about the seeming lack of third party published exclusives for the first half of '07, as no system seems to have many and it's PS3's first year.

@Laa-Yosh, what are you talking about? =p

Usually if a studio funds development of a game, or publishes it directly, we consider it 2nd party.

If you only include companies owned by Sony/MS than that includes virtually every MS game other than stuff from Rare and Bungie.

Alan Wake
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Too Human
Forza 2
Crackdown
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Fable 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Gears of War
Command and Conquer 3
etc.

But I think the topic was about real 3rd party exclusives, ones that aren't paid for or published by the manufacturer, but are exclusive for whatever reason. PS2 had a ton of these last generation, now it has virtually none. Neither console has any, which doesn't come as a surprise given the projected markept split, but is a big differentiator from last generation nonetheless.

Edit - actually I realized that MS owns quite a few more studios than I had thought, from wikipedia:

In-house Studios:Sony Inhouse studios:SCEI Subsidiary Divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to nitpick that studio list and not that it matters really, since it has most of them correctly stated, but SOE isn't owned by SCEA... it's a subsidiary of SPHE (Sony Pictures) and so it could arguably be considered an exclusive third party almost (SOE self publishes, even).

Back