PS3 sales

Again, am I right that there aren't any significant 3rd party exlusives for the PS3 in the first half of 2007? Lack of software indeed...

I could comment on that, but really, right now it is impossible to predict which 3rd party titles are going to be exclusive and which aren't. If you consider Namco a 3rd party, I'd say there are some though. I'd have thought Virtua Fighter 5 would be exclusive, but now it's not so certain. MGS4 may well be exclusive, but who knows when it comes out? Exclusives are rare these days anyway. Are we talking about true exclusives, or 'at least six months'?

Though to be honest, this isn't the thread for this discussion anyway.

What about Lost Planet, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Battlestations: Midway, Command and Conquer 3, Forza 2, Too Human, Kingdom Under Fire? Some of these are released on the PC as well, but on consoles they're all exclusive to X360, and they're all third party games... There is quite some difference in developer/publisher support at this time.
Mass Effect, Forza 2, Too Human are all MS published games. C&C3 is a Q3 title and KUF is TBA 2007.

Exclusive deals are easy to sign when marketshare is small and a proper port would be delayed by 2 or more quarters anyway. I highly doubt most devs will sign "exclusive forever" deals, but deals like "exclusive for 1 year, cause PS3 hadn't even launched yet when we started developing and XB360 has N million unit audience" "Exclusive forever" will only pay the bills if the deal payola is huge and the console producer is going to blitz the media and shop your title around everywhere.

Anyone considering such deals now will have to consider leaving money on the table. Devs aren't so stupid to think that every title will sell like GoW or Halo.

MS and Sony have to pay a pretty penny to get true exclusives, and other than acquiring companies to do this, they are only going to pay such sums to top tier devs whose games are extremely promising.

The earlier in a consoles life, the easier this is by the way, since early in a console's life, good titles are paultry, and owners of shiny new consoles are hungering for the first killer-title, and when that title hits, pretty much everyone buys it. IMHO, GoW was the first such title for XB360 (maybe Oblivion). Everything else since launch IMHO has not been the "killer" people were waiting for. IMHO, the PS3 has no killer title now, and PS3 owners will be starved for it. Whether that title is FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, Killzone 2, or HS, I dunno. I just know it's not FOM nor MS. Not that FOM or MetalStorm aren't good, but IMHO, they aren't system sellers.

If HS can be even half as good as God of War on PS2 in terms of gameplay, but with superb graphics, it could be a system seller, the earliest one to market atleast. (I just played God of War for the first time this week on my PS3, and for a PS2 game, it's one of the best games I've EVER played. The art direction, level design, control mechanics, voice acting, ...all SUPERB.. I mean, the game just "flows")

Only other PS3 game I play is Blast Factor :) It's better than Gravity Wars atleast.

If HS can be even half as good as God of War on PS2 in terms of gameplay, but with superb graphics, it could be a system seller, the earliest one to market atleast.

Isnt one of the reasons for GoW being so awsome is the gameplay? if you cut that in half wouldnt you just get a average game with awsome gfx?

Incidentally Too Human was meant to be an original Playstation title.

I'll look for its release the day after I pick up Duke Nukem Forever at my local games retailer..

Peace.
I don't get the Duke Nukem Forever comment; the idea for TH has been around for a long time, but it certainly hasn't been in development for a long time.

It isn't a limited library: someone purchasing a console for the first time (and isn't that what most ps2 sales are?) is getting the entire ps2 library, including some AA new releases, AS WELL as the next-gen titles out now, and to come, AS WELL as the other doo-dahs ps3 offers.

So the cost of a ps3 for many buyers is an incremental cost over the ps2, not a from-zero cost.
To _not_ buy a PS3 (to pick ps2 instead) is saves $370. $370 isn't bad when it allows you to show off your new hdtv capable flat screen TV you just picked up for $1xxx.

That's a pretty silly analysis when it stands to reason that the overwhelming majority of people purchasing PS3's already own a PS2.

It´s a 499$ console, it seems to sell well (until there is dust on the boxes) and how do we define widespread availability? If Sony can sell every console they produce i don´t see a problem here, espcially considering the lack of AAA games.

In that article every single store had PS3's. Now compare that to Wii, which was sold out everywhere, despite having sold 3times as many consoles already, and it's obvious that demand is faltering.

In that article every single store had PS3's. Now compare that to Wii, which was sold out everywhere, despite having sold 3times as many consoles already, and it's obvious that demand is faltering.

You did see patsu's 'drive by' post though, right?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=906485&postcount=133

patsu said:
Yes and no. The article is only partially accurate. This statement doesn't convey the truth:
"The results are unambiguous: the PlayStation 3 is in stock, almost everywhere"

Using 1 inventory snapshot to infer sales through is also flawed (like using 1 distance point to judge speed/velocity). The interviewees' comments are interesting but they are just opinions.

This is the route I took today (over 109 miles): http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9721/searchbb0.jpg

I went to Bay Area for some meetings, and visited:
* 3 Targets (Livermore, Fremont, San Mateo)
* 2 BestBuys (Mountain View and San Carlos)
* 1 Circuit City (Fremont)
* 2 Fry's (Fremont and Palo Alto)
* 1 Gamestop (Great Mall)

Target in Livermore: PS3 (out-of-stock), Xbox 360 (8)
Target in San Mateo: PS3 (out-of-stock), Xbox 360 (12)
Target in Fremont: PS3 (out-of-stock), Xbox 360 (4)
Fry's in Fremont: PS3 (30, all locked up in the back office, they received 100 last Friday. The 100-unit-shipment is consistent with a GAF post for another Fry's location), Xbox 360 (231. Guy commented that it will take a while to clear)
Circuit City in Fremont: PS3 (out-of-stock), Xbox 360 (30)
Gamestop in Milpitas: PS3 (1, they received 2 yesterday. He saved this one for someone), Xbox 360 (plenty, he wouldn't say)
BestBuy in Mountain View: PS3 (out-of-stock), Xbox 360 (11)
Fry's in Mountain View: PS3 (12, all locked up in the back, they received 1 shipment last week, and another 2 weeks ago; the guy forgot how many were shipped to them but thinks that all 12 will be gone by end of the week), Xbox 360 (At least 196 -- on the floor)
BestBuy in San Carlos: PS3 (out-of-stock), Xbox 360 (At least 119 -- on the floor)

Let's wait for the numbers for subsequent months.

Mythos I assume you have found a PS3 and I don't have to get it for you (I'm flying out in 48 hours). If not, just go to Fry's to get one (or order online).

EDIT: I missed the store hour for the BestBuy in Dublin, but from previous run... it should be stocked out too.

Ya, and it paints a slightly different picture, though you still have PS3's in stock for a week at a time, less than 2months after launch. You wouldn't see that with Wii, certainly didn't see it with 360 until spring, and I doubt it was the case with PS2 either.

I saw a sign at BB in Pasadena (near a number of fairly toney areas) saying PS3's available. I also saw a pretty happy couple of kids walking out of the store with one. My extremely anecdote based opinion is that they are a) available and b) selling.

There is one 60GB PS3 at the Target on Coleman Ave near downtown San Jose, CA if anyone is close enough. I had to do a double take and went around twice but couldn't force my hand to each for wallet.... just yet :smile:

Back