PS3 sales

PS3 NOT selling out in the states! *Link*

Reports have been steadily trickling in since yesterday of stockpiles of Playstation 3s found sitting around in Best Buys untouched, or hardly touched.

Best Buy announced they would be selling a bunch of the consoles starting Sunday and according to several emailers, very few people took them up on their offer. Of course this is all anecdotally, so I'm not sure how widespread it is.

What I can tell you is that the Best Buy near my house had 31 Playstation 3s sitting in a lovely wall o' consoles this morning when I swung by the store. Many, if not all of them, were the 60GB model.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/plenty-o-ps3s-but-no-takers-225271.php

Hopefully this will force Sony to consider a price drop, although the PS3 is a great deal if you want everything it has to offer.

Either that or ship them to Australia!!! :) I'm still waiting here.

A lot of people tell you this. The local Wal-Mart had three units last I checked, the same three they they've had for over a week.

Some people claim customers simply have no money after Chrsitmas time. However, those who report PS3 on the shelves also report it's still very hard to get Wii. We need to wait for a few more weeks at least to see if the trend continues.
For me it looks like PS3 has nothing better to offer right now than the competition.

Considering that
1. X360 does pretty badly in Japan
2. PS3 isn't available in Europe
3. Wii is available in all regions and sold out everywhere
I think it's safe to say that so far, Nintendo is the king of this Christmas... who would've thought?

This is spam and the usual sites like kotaku, joystik, engadget, propoganda being spread buy the usual F#$@boies.....How can anyone take these stories seriously.....I.E. Consumers Get Savvy, PS3s Glut Marketplace-
Everybody Hates The PS3, and now this....

Except I know (personal experience and all) that there are a number of PS3s that are simply on shelves and not being bought. That's a fact. Now, if you want to argue that's doom and gloom or whatever is different.

I think it's safe to say that so far, Nintendo is the king of this Christmas... who would've thought?

Well, me for one. ;)

I think that Wii as 'Christmas Champion' was pretty forgone actually... they seemed like they had the perfect mix of supply and demand going.

And price.

It was a perfect storm with higher priced competition.

Even casual gamers you would think would eventually realize how shallow Wii Sports is and how limited the motion input is.

What in the world is going on lately with the types of threads people want to start?

I have *no* doubt that there are in fact PS3's sitting unsold on store shelves... but... is that worthy of a thread on top of the existing sales threads? And more importantly, is PS3 supposed to be selling out? Because frankly, IMO the entire experience from launch until now has damaged the sales channel out to the consumer. Everyone offline thinks that the PS3 is impossible to find, and now everyone online is conversly assuming that demand for the console has topped out. I have no doubt there are people sitting at home who want a PS3 who simply are completely ignorant to the fact that shipments are coming in so regularly, and when they do check, are not checking Wal-Mart.

Sony is just too bound by their agreements to keep the big-box retailers stocked, because where these consoles should be going to ensure quick sales is to gaming stores directly.

I work at a Circuit City and it took us two full days to sell our last shipment of 8. (the 8th one sold ten minutes to close the day after they were received), yet we still get lines every time we put Wiis on sale... which start at midnight.

Considering that
1. X360 does pretty badly in Japan
2. PS3 isn't available in Europe
3. Wii is available in all regions and sold out everywhere

King of the holidays was who ever could keep stock suplied which makes both the retailers and consumers happy and in that regard microsoft did the best by far.

Who really cares how the Xbox360 does in Japan right now? Is that really a good basis to say they had a bad holiday for sales? The way most Japanese console gamers view the Xbox360 is the same way someone may view imported cars. They may look good and run great compared to whats built at home but they insist they wouldnt buy one or touch one if their life depended on it because they're pig headed or they've been brainwashed by PR.

Don’t let it get to you!

Just more of the same Anti-Sony propaganda as of lately… ;)

Yes, while it's easy to stock take, sales trend is typically analyzed over 1-2 years. Most people on the forum expect instant conclusion, which may not be realistic at all.

FWIW, I saw about 50 360s in Pleasant Hill Best Buy just before Christmas (packed in the aisle). Everyone passed by as if they were transparent. No one bought any during the 45 minutes I was there. Yet I'm pretty sure 360 is doing well, just like PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
with weekly shipment and the launch/eBay crazy cooling down, it is expected to find a few units here and there- and the numbers can only get larger.
what I find catching from the post of the thread initiater is the number of units in a single store. I never heard of a one store having 31 all 60G models.

King of the holidays was who ever could keep stock suplied which makes both the retailers and consumers happy and in that regard microsoft did the best by far.

Both have done well but IMHO, Nintendo is the one to look out for.

I know MS as a whole is very aggressive this fall. They cut many attractive deals with OEM partners and distis to push their platforms (Some even *free* if the partners can reach certain volume). This is clearly investments from MS end. Plus the below-cost 360 pricing.... nett-nett, I'm not sure how much MS really earn. Depending on their accounting, it may be hard to see the real numbers. Nonetheless, they have made much inroads into the core gaming market.

OTOH, Nintendo makes money for every console sold and have proved an impressive run-rate worldwide. Most important of all, they seem to have established a new market for themselves and the industry. We have not even seen the entire Wii move yet. *If* they can sustain the current buzz, they will likely be the king of this gen, bottomline-wise.

This is spam and the usual sites like kotaku, joystik, engadget, propoganda being spread buy the usual F#$@boies.....How can anyone take these stories seriously.....I.E. Consumers Get Savvy, PS3s Glut Marketplace-
Everybody Hates The PS3, and now this....

Yet in no less than 3 threads at beyond3d (here, here, and here) different posters have comments on availability of the PS3. So your defensiveness about "propaganda" and "fan#$%^$" and how "How can anyone take these stories seriously" constrasts with a number of first hand accounts here.

What in the world is going on lately with the types of threads people want to start?

I have *no* doubt that there are in fact PS3's sitting unsold on store shelves... but... is that worthy of a thread on top of the existing sales threads?

This probably should have been in the PS3 Sales thread started by Laa-Yosh.

As for why people start these threads... not browsing the current threads (not following them, not reading the titles, etc) is one reason. I think we all do this at times, but isn't an excuse. The other reason is the conjugation of forms, like sale/sales/sell/selling and so forth can be confusing :LOL: Of course to the thread starters credit, this is a subset issue (more specific, less general) and has a reference link about said topic.

I didn't necessarily take offense because the forum is littered with first hand accounts as of late, and having one centralized thread helps. Probably should be the PS3 Sales thread, BUT this thread has to do with availability. There is a difference.

And more importantly, is PS3 supposed to be selling out? Because frankly, IMO the entire experience from launch until now has damaged the sales channel out to the consumer. Everyone offline thinks that the PS3 is impossible to find, and now everyone online is conversly assuming that demand for the console has topped out.

I see two problems with that logic. First is that the Wii continues to be snatched up far quicker with higher sales. The other point is that the Xbox 360 appears to have shipped more in CY 2005 and people were looking hard for units until late winter / early spring before availability seemed to surpass demand.

I have no doubt there are people sitting at home who want a PS3 who simply are completely ignorant to the fact that shipments are coming in so regularly, and when they do check, are not checking Wal-Mart.

That would be true. There will always be hit or miss geographically, but this does appear to be happening in many places. Seeing 2 PS3s sit for 3 hours at a Walmart on a Saturday night with a fully loaded store does indicate some hesitancy. In constrast I haven't seen a single store with a Wii since it launched.

Sony is just too bound by their agreements to keep the big-box retailers stocked, because where these consoles should be going to ensure quick sales is to gaming stores directly.

That would be best for most consumers who want one as well as Sony. But of course for long term partnerships and such it is vital to feed the beasts. And ultimately these units WILL sell. The people who cannot get one from EB or Gamestop will find them at Targets, Walmarts, Best Buy, etc eventually.

I have *no* doubt that there are in fact PS3's sitting unsold on store shelves... but... is that worthy of a thread on top of the existing sales threads? And more importantly, is PS3 supposed to be selling out? Because frankly, IMO the entire experience from launch until now has damaged the sales channel out to the consumer. Everyone offline thinks that the PS3 is impossible to find, and now everyone online is conversly assuming that demand for the console has topped out. I have no doubt there are people sitting at home who want a PS3 who simply are completely ignorant to the fact that shipments are coming in so regularly, and when they do check, are not checking Wal-Mart.

No, Sony fully expects to sell no PS3 this time around and had fully expected their sales to go stagnant after only about a month and a half of release...

I also find it rather ridiculous and I tend to have more faith in humans that they'd check just gaming stores and say not Wal-Mart. That entire thought is actually registering as crazy in my mind. If you want a PS3 you will go check all your local stores, etc and ask about availability, if you do not do this then I'd say your actual want is pretty darn low. Maybe that's Sony's problem, no one wants a PS3 at the price of $600 except those who are crazy enough to spend that much, so maybe the PS3 is not suppose to be selling right now and maybe Sony will make one of the quickest price drops I've ever seen. If your sales are stagnant from launch price this early then its bound to show some sort of issue, be it either your marketing, informing people, or just out right that only the hardcore want one.

Back