NVIDIA: Beyond G80...

Hold on, if G9X series is coming out in 4Q07 then when is the G80 refresh supposed to happen ? G81 must be close to release in that case and thefore why did nvidia bother with the 8800 G80 based Ultra ?

Does that mean there is going to be no G81 refresh part at all ? I'm puzzled.

What is G81? Why is G9x in 4Q07 incompatible with there being a refresh of G80? You might want to look again at the relationship between NV40 and G70.

Moreover i think releasing little faster GF8900 doesn`t make sense now.... Better way is releasing more powerful GPU a few months later which is likely to be significally faster than G80 one....

G91: 4Q07, 192SPs, 2.0-2.6GHz shader domain, 24 TMUs with free trilinear, 16 beefed-up ROPs (stencil enhancements of G84; better blending rates), 750-800MHz+ core clock. 1.4GHz+ GDDR4 on a 256-bit memory bus. 200-240mm² on 65nm. Requires NVIO.
Hmm, what about G90? Or are your guess that they won't produce follow-up to G80 with a 384 bit memory bus?

If ATI is using 512bits for its next gen, what would prevent NVidia from using 768bits, possibly integrating 1536 megabytes of gddr4/5 memory?

If ATI is using 512bits for its next gen, what would prevent NVidia from using 768bits, possibly integrating 1536 megabytes of gddr4/5 memory?

You won't see boards beyond 512 bits for a long time due to the costs involved in manufacturing such a board. Take a look at the midrange cards like the 8600. Alot of folks thought midrange boards were going to move up to 256 bit, yet here they are at 128 bit again. I am sure ATI and Nvidia has margin goals and 256 bit in the midrange market doesn't cut it.

You won't see boards beyond 512 bits for a long time due to the costs involved in manufacturing such a board. Take a look at the midrange cards like the 8600. Alot of folks thought midrange boards were going to move up to 256 bit, yet here they are at 128 bit again. I am sure ATI and Nvidia has margin goals and 256 bit in the midrange market doesn't cut it.

Actually, i believe the primary cause for a simplified (relative to what was expected) memory controller in both the G84 and the RV630 was to facilitate the creation and integration of notebook versions of those GPU's.
The discrete mobile market is growing quite a bit faster than the desktop midrange market.

That might indicate good trust on G80's DX10 performance against R600? :???:

Not necessarily. What would imply a lack of faith in G80's DX10 performance? It's no surprise to see Nvidia helping to promote DX10 software - par for the course really.

It looks to me like there's not going to be a G80 refresh..I mean spring refreshes are usually ~6 months after the original and..well it's six months after G80 came out, I think 8800 Ultra is it?

Beyond that, why would Nvidia even introduce a new card until ATI actually provides a challenge (R600 doesn't look to be one..)

Also, we've been seeing a brand new architecture only every 1.5 years from Nvidia the last couple times around, so a new 4Q 07 high end part from Nvidia seems unlikely to me. The timeframe would be spring 08.

nV has been ahead of the competition in launch parts for the past 2 years, its likely they will want to do so again, if get the notion that the r650 will give them competition, other then for refreshes, its likely they will skip the refresh this time since AMD will have some sort of advantage with going 65nm, with clocks comparied to the r600.

It looks to me like there's not going to be a G80 refresh..I mean spring refreshes are usually ~6 months after the original and..well it's six months after G80 came out, I think 8800 Ultra is it?

Beyond that, why would Nvidia even introduce a new card until ATI actually provides a challenge (R600 doesn't look to be one..)

Also, we've been seeing a brand new architecture only every 1.5 years from Nvidia the last couple times around, so a new 4Q 07 high end part from Nvidia seems unlikely to me. The timeframe would be spring 08.

The secret to the (truly) new desktop "halo part" is in the mobile high-end segment.
If they schedule a replacement for the Go 7950 GTX before the end of the Summer, then i strongly doubt that the desktop G80 shrink/refresh won't be out by the end of the year.

Back