Wii impression thread

Wiimpressions after 48 hours

Initial impressions are great so far.
The packaging is somewhat complicated, I imagine it might intimidate some of the non-gamer demographic.
The setup itself is fairly straight-forward. It's a nice touch that batteries for the Wiimote are included. When you have brought the system home you are really ready to go. In the same vein, it's helpful that the networking is wireless.

First-time configuration is very smooth and accessible. This is exactly how it should be done. Also the channel organization is a pretty good fit. Everything in the core menus is low-key and just nice. Being coerced into accepting an EULA has never been so pleasant.

As for games, I've only played Red Steel so far and I don't want to get into that too much in this thread (more about that here). However I think it demonstrates one thing very well: the Wii just might have the potential to be the best console platform for shooters. I'm convinced that in conjunction with a Resident Evil-like quick turn somewhere, this is better than mouse&keyboard for fps. It's different alright, and if you're coming from a PC fps background you'll probably start out hating it, but give it an hour or so and it'll click.

The Wiimote is a little on the heavy side for extended gesturing. I think a large portion of the mass is in the batteries, and that'll get a lot better when I switch to NiMH rechargeables. But it's very comfortable as a pointing device. I thought the B button placement would be a little awkward but it really fits well in the hand.

I didn't have any use for the wrist strap yet. But I did manage to fling my Nunchuk attachment against a wooden dresser :)

The console's fan is super-quiet but there's some vibration when the disc drive spins. Haven't experimented much with the placement yet.

Ah! I think I have solved my Wii connecting problems, and am ready to buy one for myself as a christmas present.
Now, if only I could find one :(
I really wasn't going to buy a Wii a month or two ago, I guess the good reviews of Zelda made up my mind, and it should be a nice toy anyway for those long dark winter evenings (until PS3 arrives ;) )

The Wiimote is a little on the heavy side for extended gesturing. I think a large portion of the mass is in the batteries, and that'll get a lot better when I switch to NiMH rechargeables.
Actually, nimh batteries are in ym experience as eavy or even heavier than standard alkalines. Particulary the powerful ones.

i have some 2800mah ones they're noticeably heavier just holding one in your hand and an alkaline in the other. Add two or four together and the difference is even more pronounced.

Besides, only those of limped wrists ought to complain about mote weight! :cool:

The console's fan is super-quiet but there's some vibration when the disc drive spins.
Limited testing with two wii games (sports, and zelda) shows that wii generally vibrates less than 360 playing back DVDs. Both sit in vertical position I might add.

Peace.

Maybe you could jimmyrig the sensorbar onto a portable tripod for gameplaying and put it away when not in use? Its not like you'll be using the PJ every single day...

Well, I'm not as pleased with the Wii so far. I've been wavering regarding getting one at launch for some time and when the pre-orders were filled up I decided I could wait. By chance I did stumble over a spare Wii at a small store (a pre-order which ahd not been picked up) and decided to give it to myself as a birthday/christmas present.

I got Zelda, Wii Sports (included in Europe), Rainman Raving Rabbits and Super Monkey Ball Blitz with the console.

My first impression was positive. It looks real nice. Kind of Apple'esque. It's also very small. I think it's unfortuante though they couldn't just let you use batteries for the sensorbar. But I will see if I can modify it as someof you have done in this thread.

I use a nice 32" LCD HDTV and my first impression when turning the Wii on was ... damn it's fuzzy. After being used to sharp graphics the fuzzy low-res of the Wii is quite annoying. Since Nintendo decided only to supply low-quality composite cables AND the SCART nor the Component cables hadn't been released I had to live with this res for now.

I'm not that impressed by the Wii GUI. Lots of white but ultimately really boring GUI. It doesn't help that basically everyone of the channels still don't work. And what's with the damn elevator music?

Creating a Mii is quite fun. Hopefully you will be able to use it in many games.

That they still use a friends code system is not good IMHO. I rather have a gamertag that a 16-digit number to remember. The whole online-support so far isn't that impressive IMHO.

Virtual Console is cool although quie frankly there is almost no games there that interest me right now. I did get Super Mario 64 and FZero though. Fzero sucks on a big TV while Suer Mario 64 is fun.

One of the fears I had for the Wii was that the Wiimote wouldn't work well. But Nintendo seems to have done a great job with it. It feels good in the hand and is responsive. My hand hurt a bit after a few hours but that's probably more due to not being used to holding it.

As for the games:

Wii Sports: Fun. Crappy gfx. More fun as a party game than alone. Bowling, Boxing and Tennis was my favourites. A bit unexaxt from time to time , especially golf and boxing.

Zelda: First impression was that it really looked bland with lots of texture shimmering, low-res textures and jaggies. It's fun though although the Wiimote so far hasn't added that much over a regular controller. It isn't worse though.

Super Monkey Ball: SP game is to responsive for my taste. And the minigames aren't that fun. My least liked game so far.

I'm also a bit miffed at Nintendo's way of gauging me as a consumer. First of all by not including a component-option right away as the other consoles. Composite is crappy even on a old TV. So you really have to get an SCART or Component cable. Then it's time for the controllers. Since many of the games are meant to be played with others you need more than one set. But there's two controllers for each set, the Nunchuk and the Wiimote. Here in Sweden this set me back a cool $90-$100. So if you want 4 sets .... that's almost $300 extra. Then maybe you want to play those classics (like Super Nintendo 64). Add the classic controller.

It's not that I dislike the Wii or think the controls are gimmick. Nintendo has made them work. It's just that I'm not that dazzled by them. It's just another way of controlling the games and after the initial "this is quite cool" feeling it feels just as natural as the regular controller. And that's when I have to start looking at the games, the online features, the whole package. And that's where I think the Wii is not really living up to the hype.

It's by far not a bad console and it will sit quite nicely beside my 360 so I can use it for those special 1st party Nintedo titles but I wouldn't want one alone and it by far is not a "revolution" in gaming as it has been hyped up to be.

All in my humble opinion of course!

Actually, nimh batteries are in ym experience as eavy or even heavier than standard alkalines. Particulary the powerful ones.

i have some 2800mah ones they're noticeably heavier just holding one in your hand and an alkaline in the other. Add two or four together and the difference is even more pronounced.
I have an old pair of 1200mAh AAs and they are actually quite light. They were cheap and they are low-capacity, so it's entirely possible that only a fraction of the volume is used.
Rainbow Man said:
Besides, only those of limped wrists ought to complain about mote weight! :cool:
I don't know if I'm below average for a gaming audience but I have to say that I had trouble holding my aim steady after extended sword fighting in Red Steel. I got somewhat stuck in a training sequence that I found very hard to complete. Took me roughly half an hour, and afterwards I really couldn't continue playing. Of course that shouldn't be the norm. It's one of the things in Red Steel that are IMO unfinished, and it would have been entirely optional (you can skip that lesson, and you never need to execute that combo in the game proper).

Rainbow Man said:
Limited testing with two wii games (sports, and zelda) shows that wii generally vibrates less than 360 playing back DVDs. Both sit in vertical position I might add.
Vertical here too. I can only compare it to the (horizontal) PStwo right now, and the Wii drive vibrates significantly more than that. It won't wake up the neighbours but it's enough to annoy me a little.

The system is very quiet when playing Gamecube discs though which, btw, works perfectly also with European PAL game releases (PAL50, forced PAL60 and switchable games tested and found to work).

The "clean design" illusion is starting to fall apart though rather quickly once you have Gamecube controllers and a mem-card plugged into the top with all the cables swirling about and both top plastic flaps open in mismatched angles. It still works fine, it just ceases to look appealing. That much for marketing.

I'm also a bit miffed at Nintendo's way of gauging me as a consumer. First of all by not including a component-option right away as the other consoles.

As of now, only MS is including component out of the box, and only in the Premium SKU. PS3 is composite-only out of the box, just as Wii and 360 Core.

Then it's time for the controllers. Since many of the games are meant to be played with others you need more than one set. But there's two controllers for each set, the Nunchuk and the Wiimote. Here in Sweden this set me back a cool $90-$100. So if you want 4 sets .... that's almost $300 extra. Then maybe you want to play those classics (like Super Nintendo 64). Add the classic controller.

20030825h.gif

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/08/25

I got me the Wii !!! :)
Haven't installed it yet, and didn't get the component cable (they said it'll be released the 22nd), and must use a 10 meter composite cable, so I have very very low expectations about the image quality...
Now, off to unpack the thing.

Corwin - my bad regarding the cable. I was sure the 60 GB PS3 had HDMI while the cheaper had component but my mistace there. Really sucky in that case on all parts. composit really is crap regardless the console. however - it doesn't change the fact that right now the Wii's SCART and Component are far more expensive than the 360 equivalent, at least here in Sweden. that is if you even can get them. The SCART is supposed to be out but no-qhere to be seen and last I heard of the Component is that it has been moved to january.Actually, I'm more irritated on the fact that it's been so hard getting hold of anything for the Wii. Wiimotes are almost non-existant (nunchucks though seem to be available everywhere). No scarts cables. No component cables. I would have thought it would have been easier to get more of those out.

Regarding the little comic. I see it as a valid complaint. I was thinking of bringing the Wii to my parents house on Christmas and realised that to get 3 more controllers I had to spend a lot more than getting the same on any other console (since at least a few of the party games need both the nunchuck and the wiimote). And to play some of the Virtual console games you need the Classic Controller. Neither on the 360 or the PS3 do I have to buy several different types of controllers to play the different type of games (Wii, Virtual Console and old gen games). So I defintely think it is a valid complaint to feel tht Nintendo is charging quite a lot for their peripherals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corwin - my bad regarding the cable. I was sure the 60 GB PS3 had HDMI while the cheaper had component but my mistace there. Really sucky in that case on all parts. composit really is crap regardless the console. however - it doesn't change the fact that right now the Wii's SCART and Component are far more expensive than the 360 equivalent, at least here in Sweden. that is if you even can get them. The SCART is supposed to be out but no-qhere to be seen and last I heard of the Component is that it has been moved to january.Actually, I'm more irritated on the fact that it's been so hard getting hold of anything for the Wii. Wiimotes are almost non-existant (nunchucks though seem to be available everywhere). No scarts cables. No component cables. I would have thought it would have been easier to get more of those out.

Yes, it seems that launch is really botched with regard to accessories and cables. I agree with that. I've seen 3rd party component cables available here in France (MadCatz), with a price range similar to the 360 3rd party cables (around 20€). Wiimotes depend from store chain : some have loads, others have absolutely none (only Wii Play).

Regarding the little comic. I see it as a valid complaint.

I should have explained instead of just posting the comic, my apologies for that. I don't think it's not a valid complaint, but that specific comic somewhat fits the situation as I've seen that kind of calculation brought up many times by people trying to downplay the cost advantage of the Wii. While in some cases it's a valid, actual concern, more often than not, it's on the same level of intellectual dishonesty than people saying "But would you pay 660$ to play that specific PS3 game ?" or "You forgot the cost of the HDTV with your XBox360".

I was thinking of bringing the Wii to my parents house on Christmas and realised that to get 3 more controllers I had to spend a lot more than getting the same on any other console (since at least a few of the party games need both the nunchuck and the wiimote).

But you can already have fun and play many games with 4 Wiimotes and 2 nunchuks, no ? It's an important investment, sure, but such are 4 sets of bongos for Donka Konga, or two guitar controllers for Guitar Hero 2.

And to play some of the Virtual console games you need the Classic Controller. Neither on the 360 or the PS3 do I have to buy several different types of controllers to play the different type of games (Wii, Virtual Console and old gen games). So I defintely think it is a valid complaint to feel tht Nintendo is charging quite a lot for their peripherals.

Well, all companies (including Nintendo) are overcharging for peripherals, that's nothing new (not excusable either, though). Regarding the Wii specifically, the controller structure is both a good and a bad point : the basic Wiimote is not that expensive with regard to other controllers (360 wireless controller, not sure about Sixaxis), especially if you consider the tech included (rumble, wireless, motion-sensitive, speaker), and it's all you need for many multi-player games. The nunchuk really expands the gameplay possibilities, but the total package (Wiimote + nunchuk) is indeed a bit expensive. The classic controller is (at the moment) really specific to post-NES vintage gaming and not really mainstream.

So the basic option (Wiimote) is fairly priced, and more "exotic"/geek options are indeed priced for early adopters. Sucks to be us :( . Nintendo is throwing a couple of nice deals our way, though, such as Wii Play (1 Wiimote plus 9 fun mini-games for €50) or the upcoming "classical controller + 5000 VC points" deal.

That's a bit similar to the DS expansions price structure : the basic item (DS) is inexpensive compared to the more feature-full PSP. You can add some of the missing features with extra cartridges (DS Browser + RAM, MP3 player...), but the full package ends up quite costly (and with larger margins for Nintendo).

Wii power consumption

European retail Wii, Firmware 2.0E. Measured at the wall outlet with an ELV EM600 energy monitor.
Code:
Idling in the system menu, no disc:    17.5W
Idle with Wii disc spinning in drive:  18.5W
Native Wii game (Red Steel):           17.5~20W*
Native Gamecube game (F-Zero GX):      14~16W*

Standby with Wii Connect 24 enabled:   10W
Standby without Wii Connect 24:        1.6W
*seems to depend mostly on disc activity

Thoughts:
  • While the overall power draw is laudably modest, the consumption in Wii Connect 24 mode is a little on the high side.
  • Power draw does not seem to be affected much by processing workload, which might indicate that the silicon doesn't include (much) clock gating and other power saving tricks. The very slight observed drop in power draw when going at Gamecube speeds reinforces the impression that mostly full-active power was minimized, with little concern to idling or partial load.
  • The Wii PSU is specced to deliver up to 44W, which makes it much fatter than actually necessary for the base system. My guess is that this was done to have ample headroom for bus-powered devices on the two USB ports. That's good.
... but then in comparison to some x86 notebooks this is a tad disappointing. You can have a machine with a CeleronM (Celeron for dysfunctional power saving) at twice Broadway's clock speed, with six times the amount of RAM plus a hard drive that sucks 25~30W from the wall, total, screen already included. It's not really comparable but nevertheless it makes me less impressed with the Wii's power consumption characteristics.

Your power figures are much lower than I've seen elsewhere and also makes much more sense. What I saw before was double or more though I wish I could remember where I read it. Anandtech maybe? I can't imagine a wii running at 25ish watts in standby connect24 mode without melting so your 10w seems more realistic. My standby wii does get quite warm actually. Ingame and running metroid prime and the fan running it's not nearly as bad I think.

Why its not even less power is probably because it isn't a portable and isn't meant to be a portable. I don't really understand what you want to say with that celeron comparison.. It's still just a fifth of a 360 at the very most so it's not going to kill our electricity meters.

Peace.

Why its not even less power is probably because it isn't a portable and isn't meant to be a portable. I don't really understand what you want to say with that celeron comparison.
I think Zeckensack's talking about hardware performance. It's been suggested that a reason for Wii's comparably low specs is to fit into a low-draw small form factor console. These readings + laptop results show much more hardware could be fit into that size case - there's no technical limit for Wii's hardware capabilities, it seems.

Why its not even less power is probably because it isn't a portable and isn't meant to be a portable. I don't really understand what you want to say with that celeron comparison..
It's a Pentium M with most of the power-saving features disabled, so for its power draw it doesn't matter much if it's under full load or idle. Same as with the Wii hardware, as it seems. You can have that much faster CPU and lots extra and still be in the same power consumption ball park.

What this tells me is that low power consumption was not a strong priority for the Wii design. Wii AFAICS prioritizes cost, cost, cost, and while a relatively low power consumptions does come as a side effect of that, a design focus on power draw could have reduced it much further.
Rainbow Man said:
It's still just a fifth of a 360 at the very most so it's not going to kill our electricity meters.
True, it's very good for a console.

Aah, right. I see whaty you mean now.

Yes wii probably isn't engineered to be power efficient from the ground up, then again it doesn't have to be. You plug it into the wall it's not running on batteries..

Maybe we can get much "bigger" hardware for the same power budget with PC components but can we get it all for the same price? I'm sorry but I never heard of $250 laptops that were any damn good. Heck, I'd like to know where I can get crappy brand new $250 laptops. :cool:

Peace.

I'm sorry but I never heard of $250 laptops that were any damn good. Heck, I'd like to know where I can get crappy brand new $250 laptops. :cool:
If Wii included a keyboard, monitor, large Lithium battery, and whatever else a laptop has, it'd not be priced at $250! Just looking at the chief components, it's clear that better specs are obtainable at the pricepoint and power envelope. Of course that'd be without GC backwards compatibility and the like.

I really don't want the Wii to become a PC, it's a fine machine without a keyboard and without x86 software. That was only supposed to be a comparison of how much performance you can get out of a certain power envelope if you really try:)
I wasn't even thinking about costs. I'll try to be less ambiguous with my comparisons sometime soon :p

Wii internet channel just went live

I'm posting this on my Wii actually! :)
Based on Opera, zooming tricks like on the DS, no tabs. Works nicely enough for youtube even. Text entry is almost tolerable (one letter at a time, but it gives you lots of opportunities for auto-completion).

What's up with the huge black border on the left, top, and right though? Other than that seems quite speedy and most sites I tried look correct.
If you press 2, you go into (huge) text reading mode...

Back