Wii impression thread

Thus if it breaks with an adult moving the Wiimote through an arc of 60cm radius with a high angular velocity, it'll break if children can manage the same.

Except that adult arms tend to be longer than child arms. Linear velocity along the edge of the circle is the radius times the angular velocity in rad/s. Anyway, sounds like they skimped on costs where they shouldn't have.

I doubt they try to save costs on something that probably wont cost more than a few cent. I suppose there are alot of other parts where you can gain alot more in cost reduction.

Except that adult arms tend to be longer than child arms. Linear velocity along the edge of the circle is the radius times the angular velocity in rad/s. Anyway, sounds like they skimped on costs where they shouldn't have.

Children tend to be more limber and flexible than adults, allowing them to move their limbs faster.

Point being, what they guy did in that video is hardly unattainable by a child.

Has anyone tried any GC games? Any differences there, particularly do they run at the same rate or do they run a little smoother?

I played Extreme G 3 for a few hours. It worked fine except for one strange moment when the controller totally went bezerk. I couldn't steer at all; the buttons seemed to be mapped wrong! But it went away after a minute. Otherwise it seems to be perfect. I have no idea what could've caused that strange controller spazz.... Could've been something with the controller connection, a game bug, etc.

It may have been smoother. Tough to tell. XG3 never really bogged down originally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am extremely interested in the Wii but also very cautious about it as I can see the unique controller aspect wearing off fast.

Its fun wearing off is only really going to happen if future games don't use it as well or better than current games. I don't see that happening.

More about Gamecube games on Wii that I recalled: The Cube game shows up in the Wii channels area like a Wii game, but it only shows it as a Gamecube title with Cube logo (no game name, etc, like a Cube showed in its OS). When you load the game it shows a static image of the Cube logo and plays Cube startup audio. The game loads and there's no way back to Wii OS without turning it off and back on (reset will just reset the game). It acts transparently as a Cube would.

There is apparently no way to transfer Cube saves off Cube cards to Wii flash or the SD card. The Wiimote does nothing in Cube games.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you load the game it shows a static image of the Cube logo and plays Cube startup audio. The game loads and there's no way back to Wii OS without turning it off and back on (reset will just reset the game). It acts transparently as a Cube would.

Does it still do the alternative startup sound when you hold the Z button when turning it on? I always do that on my cube, I even turn it off and on again should I not be fast enough, very much to the amusement of all my friends... :smile:

Saw it for real life today. First demo pods seem to be up in Europe (the one I saw wasn't up and running, however). I must admit that I was quite disappointed by its looks. The first thing coming to mind was cheap rather then sleek. Well only nine days now...

Does it still do the alternative startup sound when you hold the Z button when turning it on? I always do that on my cube, I even turn it off and on again should I not be fast enough, very much to the amusement of all my friends... :smile:

I don't think so. The only way I know to load a game is let the Wii boot into its channels area. The Cube game shows up on the same top left channel box as Wii games (as a Cube logo icon). You select the channel and it then zooms into it and shows the "Start" and "Wii Menu" buttons (I think that's what they are) in front of a static Cube logo. You click start and it plays the Cube startup sound with the static Cube logo. Then the game starts. Too bad they didn't animate the Cube logo!

I played Super Mario Sunshine. It ran the same as it did on the 'Cube.

Perhaps trying a game that's locked at 60fps but frequently dips (such as Rogue Leader) would prove a better test. Too bad I sold RL!

Just got done with some Rebel Strike. The game definitely still slows down frequently. Still as lame a game as ever too! :) Perty tho.

it would be rather ironic if on the Wii the GC version of the new zelda ran faster than the Wii version..
i think i read on this forum a lot of good reasons why emulation as in backward compatibility isn't like to result in an increase of framerate. too bad i can't remember them.

Know that there's a third bootup sound should all 4 pads be connected and their Z buttons holded when turned on ?

The horror!!

Bumping this up since the site http://wiihaveaproblem.com has received a significant amout of content since the launch - and it hasn't even been a month yet.

I didn't know there were so many tragiclly humerous cases of Wii violence.

Honestly, after seeing all of those examples on that site I am terrified of letting anyone aside from myself play with the Wii in my apartment.

If I was a parent with kids, there is no way I would let them play with it on anything other than a crappy CRT with a sturdy inch thick glass pane.

Besides the fakes on mokups on that site, some people, from a certain continent, I wont say any names, just lack the brains to use the Wii in a normal way. Oh I broke my tv while swinging my arms like a monkey on speed and ''suddenly'' losing grip, boehoe its all nintendo fault. Its like that guy who earned millions by microwaving his cat and blaming the manufactuer for not putting in the manual that you cant microwave your cat.

Back