Just checked my local Futureshop store...

Qroach

Veteran
They had 10 PS3's and of course sold out. One thing the guy in charge of the entertainment department did note was that nobody bought any games, they were all planning on selling the thing on EBay. He told me that they sold between 30 and 40 360's yesterday due to the one day deal they had going on. normally they sell 3 or 4 a day. I have a feeling the 360 is going to have a pretty good month for sales, including that one ps3 launch day and thanksgiving in the U.S.

This store also has 39 Wii that will go on sale tomorrow. I'll probably pick one up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the 360 HD-DVD drive is selling pretty well as well - I went into Futureshop yesterday looking for it and the guy said they'd had a pile of them earlier in the day and they'd been selling so quick he only just realised they were out when someone else asked him for one about a minute ago.

They had 10 PS3's and of course sold out. One thing the guy in charge of the entertainment department did note was that nobody bought any games, they were all planning on selling the thing on EBay. He told me that they sold between 30 and 40 360's yesterday due to the one day deal they had going on. normally they sell 3 or 4 a day. I have a feeling the 360 is going to have a pretty good month for sales, including that one ps3 launch day and thanksgiving in the U.S.

This store also has 39 Wii that will go on sale tomorrow. I'll probably pick one up.
Someone mentioned over on AVS that Microsoft was pleasantly surprised about the uptick in sales due to the HD DVD add-on. Actually, here's the article:

link
The $199 Xbox 360 add-on also posted strong sales out of the gate Nov. 13 and gave an unexpected sales boost to the Xbox 360 console, Microsoft senior program manager Kevin Collins said, while doing press demonstrations of HD DVD from the HD DVD Promotional Group’s 18-wheeler parked on the Universal Studios backlot in Universal City, Calif., this week.
Given the HD DVD add onrelease, Gears of War release, and your normal increase typically seen in November, what kind of sales are we talking about?

I picked a HD-DVD drive up as well. the thing I like about it is the footprint size compared to standalone players. I was considering getting a standalone player and now I don't need to.

I went to Wal*Mart to check out the Kiosk and the sales rep said they had 6 (4 60GB and 2 20GB) -- and the guy who was 5th in line traded his place for $1,000.

And no news on shipments for PS3s. The clerk knew they had nearly 30 Wiis for launch and would be getting 11 more by the end of the week. He is a big Sony fan, but flatly said that Nintendo did a better job at getting promotional material, consoles, and firm dates on forthcoming hardware to them. I could just see his frustration.

I went to Wal*Mart to check out the Kiosk and the sales rep said they had 6 (4 60GB and 2 20GB) -- and the guy who was 5th in line traded his place for $1,000.

And no news on shipments for PS3s. The clerk knew they had nearly 30 Wiis for launch and would be getting 11 more by the end of the week. He is a big Sony fan, but flatly said that Nintendo did a better job at getting promotional material, consoles, and firm dates on forthcoming hardware to them. I could just see his frustration.
That guy got a pretty good deal for just trading his place and the guy who paid for it was a sucker--I've been watching eBay prices all day and it looks like you can pick up a 20g unit for about 900 and a 60g for about 1200-1300, often times with games and movies thrown in.

The Futureshop by me had 16 IIRC PS3s. The guy that was 6th in line sold his spot for $1500. The same store has 75 Wiis and the WalMart next door has 63.

The Futureshop by me had 16 IIRC PS3s. The guy that was 6th in line sold his spot for $1500. The same store has 75 Wiis and the WalMart next door has 63.

I'm curious if its some sort of record with how many consoles Nintendo will have ready for launch. I'm also very interested in seeing if they'll sell out. That would be a huge gain for Nintendo with that many consoles out if they can sell out, that'd instantly put them in a nice position for at least saying "Hey developers, look at how much WE'VE sold".

If they don't sell out and you're still able to get one Monday for the launch price then I'll consider Nintendo to be able to use that as a victory marker too, they win either way. :LOL:

Hm... Same number my Wal*Mart had. (Well, one of them.) You don't happen to live in northern Jersey, do you? ;)

Though I suppose there are way too many of them out there to cover all the permutations of the 4-10 units they were likely to get...

I don't think it's any surprise that (nearly) all of the PS3s are headed to eBay - everyone knows how much moola they'll fetch, so naturally the draw is there to make a fast but big buck.

Essentially the rich folks willing to shell out the bucks for a PS3 paid those guys to wait in line for days as it wasn't worth their own time to do so.

That guy got a pretty good deal for just trading his place and the guy who paid for it was a sucker--I've been watching eBay prices all day and it looks like you can pick up a 20g unit for about 900 and a 60g for about 1200-1300, often times with games and movies thrown in.

That's surprisingly low imo.

Back