Cross platform game IGN scores PS3 vs 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess they figured that if they are supposed to give Wii graphics some slack in their reviews, scoring it based off of what the hardware is capable of rather than a direct comparison with 360 and PS3 graphics then it's only fair to score PS3 games the hardest when they don't live up to what it's hardware is supposed to be capable of.

HA! You beat me to it.

How dare they make these cross console comparisons? Don't they know that's not allowed?

I would speculate that the differences to date are indicative of less time with final hardware. Although PS3 devkits have been out for a long time, there is absolutely no substitute for tuning on final hardware. Even if the devkit system is very close to final, having the final system is still paramount, particularly with framerate issues.

Wouldn't it be like car comparisons? Where cars of the same class are compared with each other?

In anycase, even if you don't take in the scores, the majority of the reviews clearly state that the 360 versions are better. Who knows, that could reverse next year.

Always lower on the 360.

Gun XB = 7.4
Gun 360 = 6.4

TH XB = 7.5
TH 360 = 6.6

I take it you never read a Perfect Dark Zero review, have you?

It even made 1ups list of 10 worst launch titles in history, despite being the 3rd highest rated 360 launch game. Main reason = it wasn't "next-gen" enough.

This might come as a shock to you, but they are actually better games than Genji.

1) I must be mixing up my Gamespot scores with IGN. I thought the overall scores for Gun were higher than 6.4 and 6.6. Sites are blocked at work so i'm totally wrong on that one.

2) If I recall PDZ got a good score from 1up. You may gave to verify that for me. I KNOW it didn't get a horrible score from IGN.

3) So then your basically saying that the categories section on IGN reviews have zero bearing on the overall score which basically tells me the review process is flawed either way for all games on all consoles.

Maybe bit offtopic but I think we have found new low for PS3, or any console launch!

http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-15446.aspx

ust when you thought the launch reviews couldn't get worse for the PS3, 1up chimes in with their review of Mobile Suit Gundam: 2/10.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire doesn't just fail to be "next gen," it is barely last gen. The game is an embarrassment to the Gundam name, and raises suspicions that it was rushed for the PS3 launch. Clearly, the series -- and the fans -- deserve better.

This title had lots of potential but they kinda killed it. Well never even intended of buying this game but if someone did, I feel bad for them even though its just 1up review.

2) If I recall PDZ got a good score from 1up. You may gave to verify that for me. I KNOW it didn't get a horrible score from IGN.

8.4 based upon the fact that the game wasn't "next gen enough" but that the multiplayer is amazing and saves the day.

(To summarize)

So, no.. it didn't get a horrible score.

This title had lots of potential but they kinda killed it. Well never even intended of buying this game but if someone did, I feel bad for them even though its just 1up review.

Isn't this one of the only exclusive titles available other than Resistance? If you're buying a launch PS3 and you're not buying it for Resistance or Gundam, I'd dare to guess you aren't buying a PS3 for anything other than resale.

holy crap 1up gives Madden PS3 a 6.5?

I imagine that if the reviewers are already spoiled by a game on 360 in comparison to a NEW effort (since many of the launch games have been out already), especially if framerate issues exist... then it would be awfully hard to score it on par.

Maybe bit offtopic but I think we have found new low for PS3, or any console launch!

http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-15446.aspx

one of the origianal Japanese PS3 owners on GAF said the day he bought it that Gundam was the worst Next Gen game he'd ever seen. :oops:

What? That's not even what I quoted. I was quoting your 1up clarification. That's damn weird.

Anyway, the score is an 8.1 and they then proceeded to bash the game throughout their review and threw it under the bus in their conclusion.

So the score doesn't match the text.

Off-topic ! Is the Gundam game online capable ? Any plans for follow ups like upgrading the game, and adding more elements ?

Isn't this one of the only exclusive titles available other than Resistance? If you're buying a launch PS3 and you're not buying it for Resistance or Gundam, I'd dare to guess you aren't buying a PS3 for anything other than resale.

The reason I'd buy PS3 would be MGS4 and FFXIII. I will buy myself a PS3 next fall when HDTV prices come down and those titles are near release. I live in europe so I'm kinda screwed over anyway. Heavenly sword might force me to buy one earlier but we will see.

Meh..

I probably stick with the 360 for multi-platform games, and the PS3 for exclusives. I have a strong feeling that multi-platform games, majority of the time, will be a little better on the 360 due to it simpler/easier to work with hardware. PS3 on the other hand will probably required special coding and engine design specifically for it, this is where exclusives will really shine;)

just my 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
Using that same logic Wii games shouldn't be scored higher just because Nintendo didn't put the most advanced hardware in the system either. They should all be recieving 6's and 7's in Graphics.
No, that's a different logic. The Wii has different values as it has different abilities. You can't compare it to machines that are more powerful (whether they're more pricey or not). PS3 and XB360 are running the same games with the same assets and same general look. If XB360 renders a screen that gets a graphics rating of 9, PS3 rendering exactly the same screen should also score the same score, a 9. You can't say PS3 only scores an 8 because though it looks just as good as XB360, it costs $100 more for the BRD playback and built-in browser.

Machines should be measured by their performance, and not their price.

These are gaming consoles.
No, they're entertinament devices. The idea of a straight games console is dead. There isn't a single machine in this new gen that only does games. Even Nintendo have given up on the mantra of 'we're only interested in games,' offering photo browsing, internet browsing, optional movie playback, and other non-gaming apps like Pictochat etc. in their 'games machines'. All of them incorporate multi-entertainment options. Every box you buy, you buy with a host of non-gaming functions that factor into it's price and value. If you're only buying a console for games, it's for you to decide the price of the console versus the worth of the games, not the magazines. The cost of the machines should only influence the value-for-games of the hardware reviews. eg. Give XB360 9/10 and PS3 7/10 as value for money for playing games. Then rate the games for what the games are, so identical games on the two platforms get the same results (until the platform's abilities are better known to compare to). For those wanting to decide which machine to buy, they want to know the games are identical yet the price of the machine is different, so they can decide if the differences like BRD player included are worth the extra money. If you lower the game scores, it makes it look like the more expensive console offers an inferior game experience when in fact it's identical (when scores aren't decreased for system price, and where the games are the same) and that's a false impression. In this case, if PS3 offers exactly the same game experience as XB360, and adds BRD, some people will think that's worth the extra money. If they're told the games are inferior due to lower scores, they may think otherwise, and you're not allowing them to make up their own mind based on accurate information.

Meh..

I probably stick with the 360 for multi-platform games, and the PS3 for exclusives. I have a strong feeling that multi-platform games, majority of the time, will be a little better on the 360 due to it simpler/easier to work with hardware. PS3 on the other hand will probably required special coding and engine design specifically for it, this is where exclusives will really shine;)

just my 2 cents

Right now it is my impression that to get the most out of both you need that proper TLC. The one factor that aids in 360 doing well right now is not so much the tools i think but the fact that the cpu is symmetrical. I think they are still using xenos as a normal GPU and fortunately it has the flexibility to do so. You can code for the x360 as if it were a "normal" in order system.

With the PS3 you HAVE to code especially for the CPU asymetrical nature. So not only do you have to code for in order operations but you have to maintain multiple threads in an asymetric inorder environment as well. That sounds hard just writing it!

Once someone get a handle on the xenos or the Cell chip we will see wonders in both cases.

Only exclusive developers like Kojima & Co have had kits for long and actually used them.

These games are 360-ports made in the last 6 months. Some actually look and play better like Madden.

What a cheap excuse.Wouldn't expect anything better.

Anyway i believe that the xbox360 is stronger hardware-wise,that's why most(if not all) multiplatform games look and run better on it.I expect this trend to be the usual throuout this gen.

No, that's a different logic. The Wii has different values as it has different abilities. You can't compare it to machines that are more powerful (whether they're more pricey or not). PS3 and XB360 are running the same games with the same assets and same general look. If XB360 renders a screen that gets a graphics rating of 9, PS3 rendering exactly the same screen should also score the same score, a 9. You can't say PS3 only scores an 8 because though it looks just as good as XB360, it costs $100 more for the BRD playback and built-in browser.

Sure you can, just like you can say the plethora of Xbox games score lower in graphics than the PS2 version of the same game.

The rules don't change just because it's the PS3. The same standard applied every generation before this, there is no reason to go changing that standard now just because it's the great PS3 that's being marked down.

If you don't agree then why weren't you complaining about how the reviews were so unfair to the Xbox last generation?

Machines should be measured by their performance, and not their price.

They should be measured by their advertised capabilities, in which case the PS3 games should be above 360 games, not the same as. If theya ren't above the 360 then they aren't delivering the performance that was advertised, and they should be scored lower because of it.

No, they're entertinament devices. The idea of a straight games console is dead.

LOL!!! Not hardly.

Less than 20% of the US, less than 15% of Japan, and less than 10% of Europe have HDTV's. To the rest the ability to play high definition movies makes no difference. And I rather suspect the percentage of people who have their game consoles linked to their PC's is far lower than that.

To everyone but that tiny portion of tech junkies, these are just gaming consoles, whether you like it or not. And just because Sony's or Nintendo's PR department says otherwise doesn't make it any more true than their "PS3 is 2X more powerful than the 360" claims.

To use the imfamous car analogy here, my car has a built in DVD player (With 2 seperate screens), 14 speaker surround sound system, and even has factory installed hookups for a game console. That doesn't mean it's a mobile entertainment center, it's still a car. Added features to a game console doesn't change the fact that it's still a game console. It's the primary function of the device that determines what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh..

just my 2 cents
Exclusives like GoW,Alan wake,Mass effect,Halo 3 and more will also shine and be at equal looking(if not much better) than the ps3 exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back