US PS3 Launch

Ummm. It's less than 10 hours old. :LOL: Maybe a bit of a rush to judgement there?

Where'd you get the 200k number from?

All over the place. IGN, retailer repors, even the CFO of EA said that Sony would only ship around half of what they promised.

And regarding the bundles, I suspect Sony is thrilled to have them considering retailers like EB/Gamestop probably only sold 1 or 2 games for every 10 systems, since all of the rest were headed to Ebay.

Well if that keeps being the case, it would definitelly affect the selling power of the PS3 as not many people would be prepared to spend that kind of money all at once.
Then again, as it is now, they will probably sell out anyway...

Oh, I'd guess that'll be gone before Christmas. Just shaking down the bleeding edge early adopters for everything they can get away with. God bless early adopters, taking a bullet for the rest of us. :D

Very nice. And what textbook did you get that out of? And did they use "innovators" because "pigeons" sounded a little too insulting?

Believe it or not that's all from memory! Except the percentages of course :D

No idea where the guy who came up with this model (it's one guy, can't remember the name) got the term "innovator" from... Beats me...

Yes. Don't you dare play it all day and night now!! Your job is to write here. You are allowed 10-minute playign sessions, followed by a detailed report here after each session. :devilish:

You'll do us a tremendous favor if you can share your experiences with us online as much as possible! Same goes for others here who get one ... clue us in! :)

Well theres not much to say, I'm having a great time right now. :)
You guys pretty much know everything there is to know.

As for personal things, I really hope sony allows us to multi-task downloads in the next firmware upgrade. Not really stressing it because IIRC the xbox did something similar till it's update.

As I said before, the thing is big and shiny. I figured it would be quiet, but not this quiet. I'm standing like a foot away from it and I cant hear a thing.

Happy to say my bluetooth headsets Motorola HS850 & HS820 work perfectly fine. Me and my cousin (hes in another state with his ps3) were trying out the quality and its pretty good.

Swing me some questions and I'll be happy to answer. Can't think of anything right now, back to resistance. :D

What length of USB cable comes in the box for charging/using the controller? Is it a good few metres long and suitable for wired play? Or do you have to wait for it to charge?

What length of USB cable comes in the box for charging/using the controller? Is it a good few metres long and suitable for wired play? Or do you have to wait for it to charge?

Its pretty short, I'm using it for charging up the spare controller but I'd rather use my other usb cable (10 foot) for actually play and charging at the same time. Kinda sucks the controller didnt come with another cable, luckly I have about 4 from all types of devices.

But wireless is pretty good, has really good range and no delay at all from what I can tell.

What do you think of a possible "online launch" for future consoles? Obviously a direct distribution approach like this would have both advantages (no middle man to pay, no potential shipment issues etc) and disadvantages (logistics, cost), but would you guys actually prefer it to these silly "camping outside the shop" kind of launches?

I don't recall much mention of it in the last year or so but can anyone remember the UK PS2 launch, the way I got mine on launch day (i'm a bit fuzzy it was a while ago so this may not be exactly right) was that Sony put up a websiter a few months before launch where you could register to buy one, there was a bit of internet frenzy to register but basically everybody that was interested got the same chance and if you registered before the cut off you got sent some kind of voucher that you could take to your favourite store to pre-order, the stores then got allocated PS2's based on the number of registered customers that had ordered and as far asI know that's what they received.

End result only one registration per address (ok I am sure some scalpers registered at relatives etc, but they had to be quick) but a fairly orderly ordering process, you get to pick up on launch, high street stores got people through the door on launch day to buy extras that they could make some money on and everyone was happy and no ugly scenes

I thought it was great, hope they repeat again when they launch PS3 in UK.

Firmware 1.10 is out for North America...

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates

The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 1.10 update includes the following:

* General
o You can now use PLAYSTATION®Network services.
o You can now use the single tap text entry method on the on-screen keyboard for English and other European languages.
* Settings
o [Audio CD Output Frequency] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
o [Enable ATRAC] has been added as a feature under [System Settings].
o [Cross Color Reduction Filter] has been added as a feature under [Display Settings].
o [After 5 Minutes] has been added as an option to [Screensaver] under [Display Settings].
* Video
o You can now select [Full Screen] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*
*An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
* Network
o You can now download and save music and video files on the hard disk under [Internet Browser].
o You can now download the following types of content under [PLAYSTATION®Store].
− PLAYSTATION®3 format software
− PLAYSTATION®Network titles*
* The term "PLAYSTATION®Network titles" refers to PlayStation format games (PS one) downloaded from PLAYSTATION®Store and PSP format games distributed electronically.
o Simplified and traditional Chinese characters can now be displayed under [Internet Browser].
o [Online Instruction Manuals] has been added as a feature.
* Other
o The method of calculating hard disk capacity has been changed.
* Free space on the hard disk is calculated as 1 GB (1024 x 1024 x 1024) = approx. 1,073,740,000 bytes. As a result, the free space value displayed may be less than the value that is mentioned under specifications in the product documentation. You can check hard disk free space under [Settings] > [System Settings] > [System Information].
o Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles. To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.

Pretty decent review, though it still has a few errors - evidently they didn't discover the triangle yet for browsing iPods and such, they have 32 rather than 40 for Resistance's multiplayer, they make a mess of the sixaxis motion sensing, but all in all it's a competent review. They may also be mistaken about the whole faceplate thing, but that's forgiven - until someone figured out how easy the top slides off, nobody had a clue.

They have this also. :devilish:

OT: They list Wii as having 512 MB RAM....:???:

The Wii has 512MB of Flash memory, not sure what all it can be used for.

Edit: Actually those specs list is rather comical. The Wii has a joystick type controller? Lol, I guess the nunchuck could count as that, but what the hell about the Wiimote?

Back