40,000 ps3's for Canada

Qroach

Veteran
I heard on the news this morning that there will be only 40k ps3's shipped to all of Canada for launch. Nothing special but for people here that want one it will be next to impossible. I'm guessing whatever issues sony is running into (probably all blue ray related) they won't be resolved sometime until next year IMO.

I heard on the news this morning that there will be only 40k ps3's shipped to all of Canada for launch. Nothing special but for people here that want one it will be next to impossible. I'm guessing whatever issues sony is running into (probably all blue ray related) they won't be resolved sometime until next year IMO.

Doesn't the whole of Canada have around the same population of the UK? It's not THAT bad, it's obvious that the US is getting the bulk of them. Actually, yes it is THAT bad but anyway...

What i would LOVE to see is the shipment of PS3's in Japan from next week, this will give a bit of a clearer idea about Sony's manufacturing situation. They said there would be a "steady increasing" flow of units but i get the feeling that the second week shipment for Japan will be 0. :devilish:

my pal in japan told me the same thing that this weekend some stores where gettin new ps3's and he was considering camping out again

FYI: The population of the United Kingdom is roughly double that of Canada!

:LOL: My point exactly! 40k units is a whole lot for Canadians. We're lucky if we get 80k units here at launch! (that implies that i will not believe Sony will have 2M units ready to launch in Europe in March until i see them all one by one).

Doesn't the whole of Canada have around the same population of the UK? It's not THAT bad, it's obvious that the US is getting the bulk of them. Actually, yes it is THAT bad but anyway...

No I think the UK has more people then all of Canada. You're just stacked higher than us ;)

What i would LOVE to see is the shipment of PS3's in Japan from next week, this will give a bit of a clearer idea about Sony's manufacturing situation. They said there would be a "steady increasing" flow of units but i get the feeling that the second week shipment for Japan will be 0. :devilish:

I don't expect the second shipment to come very quickly or be large, otherwise there wouldn't be so many warnings about getting one for Christmas.

40k would actually be a pretty high percentage of systems compared to the US, which is rumored to only be getting 150-200k. You've got slightly more than 10% of the US population, but you are getting 20% of the units the US is.

40k would actually be a pretty high percentage of systems compared to the US, which is rumored to only be getting 150-200k. You've got slightly more than 10% of the US population, but you are getting 20% of the units the US is.

You mean Canada has 10% the population of the US, but there are proportionally more units per person in Canada? What's the 20%? *confused*
US 250M people - 400k units : 1.6%
Canada 25M people - 40k units : 1.6%

That's IF the US gets 400k units of course... Launch is tomorrow and i think we'd have heard something about it by now, if that wasn't the case, like we knew about Japan's undershipment before it launched there!

Where is that "rumour" from anyway?

well I guess it started out of somebodys a hole... look for a thread at neogaf

If by a-hole you meant these guys then that would be correct. Because that's where it really started.

And FYI, Gamespot, EB Games, and Best Buy have all been calling people who preordered systems this week telling them they won't be getting launch day systems. That includes other forum members here. Somehow I doubt they would do that if they were getting all of the systems Sony promised them just 1 month ago.

You mean Canada has 10% the population of the US, but there are proportionally more units per person in Canada? What's the 20%? *confused*

That's IF the US gets 400k units of course... Launch is tomorrow and i think we'd have heard something about it by now, if that wasn't the case, like we knew about Japan's undershipment before it launched there!

A couple sites have reported it, also retailers have all been reporting having their stock #'s cut in half recently, so with those two rumours combined it seems it may have some basis in reality.

If that is the case, the negative backlash is going to be ridiculous.

I have lived here for a little over 2 years and I still didn't know that the population in Canada was that small. Less than the UK??:LOL:

Does anyone know if theres any midnight launches here in Canada? I'll be pulling an all-nighter tonight so I might go and see whats going on around town as a break if there are.

I was downtown Toronto today and stopped in at best buy and futureshop. Best buy had a huge line and people were saying 70 units for that store. Futureshop had about 6-10 people waiting outside and they wouldn't find out how many actual units were available until store closing. This was at 2pm.

Personally, I am getting an Xbox 360 from futureshop tomorrow. There was a Microsoft sales rep in the store hyping up a one-day promo tomorrow: $450 CAD+tax which includes 4 games (ridge racer 6, gears of war, ghost recon and something else). 1 wireless controller + 20GB drive. I'll snag that while its available and pickup a PS3 at a later time.

I was downtown Toronto today and stopped in at best buy and futureshop. Best buy had a huge line and people were saying 70 units for that store. Futureshop had about 6-10 people waiting outside and they wouldn't find out how many actual units were available until store closing. This was at 2pm.

Personally, I am getting an Xbox 360 from futureshop tomorrow. There was a Microsoft sales rep in the store hyping up a one-day promo tomorrow: $450 CAD+tax which includes 4 games (ridge racer 6, gears of war, ghost recon and something else). 1 wireless controller + 20GB drive. I'll snag that while its available and pickup a PS3 at a later time.

that is an awesome deal. I am envious.

Currently looking out of my 23rd floor apartment window, I can see that downtown Toronto is covered with mist / fog. Very heavy, in fact so bad I can't see the CN tower (even though I face it directly). In fact, I can't even see any lights further than maybe 20m out.

It must suck being out there waiting for a console tonight :devilish:

US Population is more like 300M - 400k units: 0.133 %
Canadian population is more like 32M - 40k units: 0.125%

Back