Where would you like to go?

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
To break away from all the war talk and escape to a paradise Island (or whatever) ... what places in the world (or elsewhere) would do you plan to or want to visit in your lifetime?

My top places as of today:
Iceland - Taking a hot bath outdoors in the middle of the winter would be pretty cool. All the geotermal stuff there is pretty amazing.
Africa - Would be cool to see some real jungle or watch elefants and tigers etc on a close range.

Humus just this christmas I was up between Yellowstone, and Teton National parks (I don't know if you know where they are) and I cross country skied with my wife and brothers to a hot spring called huckleberry hotspring, it was snowing heavily and it was really awesome, because the snow melted and made this crazy fog. We would jump in the snow drifts and then run back into the water as well, but I don't think that is so fun as others did. Part of the spring was a litttle hot though so you could overheat if you did not drink plenty of water.

I want to go to eastern Russia sometime. My wife wants to go to Australia (I have already gone there for a 3 month break though), she wants to go to Praha again, spain, hmmm other places ill add later.

Tioman Island, Malaysia.

or

Anywhere with snow and mountains (except Scotland). 8)

MuFu.

Thats easy: Johannesburg, South Africa. My wife is there, havent seen here in almost 8 months. In 5 days im going to spend a month with her. So I wont be online as much, and doubt if ill be able to post here. ;) Sigh, miss her alot.

later,

Good choices Humus. I spent my last holiday on Iceland (September last year), it was fantastic! My girlfriend and I drove there with my old car, taking the Ferry from Denmark and making a 3 day stop on the Faeroer Islands on the way. Including the way to Denmark and back we drove like 6500km in less than a month, but it was well worth it!
The landscapes, waterfalls, geothermal active areas, colours, lonelyness and just in general the atmosphere were truly an amazing experience. It was probably the most enjoyable and impressive holiday I've had in a long time, and I've been to a number of great places only in recent years (e.g. Thailand, Mexico, Hong Kong and various European countries). The wind can be bitchy, as can the rain, but that doesn't really matter once you're there. Did I mention the sheep and pony's you'll ge to see? Oh, and many roads are hell for cars! ;)

As for where I want to go next, I am dreaming of a lengthy trip to New Zealand or Australia for years now. I'd also like to travel to the US West Coast since so far I've only been in the Mid-West and traveled to the East Coast from there. Due to financial constraints on primarily my girlfriend's side those destinations will probably have to wait a little though. Currently we're thinking about making an extensive trip around Italy, exploring all the lovely little places you never get to visit on your way to the usual destinations. I'd also like to spend another week or two of snowboarding in the "3 Vallées" again next year, amazing area if you're into skiing or snowboarding.

I don't plan on going anywhere. I plan on staying behind my PC for my entire life.
I don't plan on having any relationships or getting married.

1.) South Pacific - Bora Bora, Great Barrier Reef, New Zealand or Australia.

2.) French / Swiss Alps for some skiing (been there once before)

3.) Thailand

4.) Amsterdam

and all over the USA.....

epicstruggle:
Thats easy: Johannesburg, South Africa. My wife is there, havent seen here in almost 8 months. In 5 days im going to spend a month with her. So I wont be online as much, and doubt if ill be able to post here. Sigh, miss her alot.

Wow epic thats a long time without her! You'll see her in 5 days? :D We won't hear from you for a month? :D (jk) ;)

Silent_One said:
Wow epic thats a long time without her! You'll see her in 5 days? :D We won't hear from you for a month? :D (jk) ;)
Yep, in five days I fly down to spend some time with her. :) I just married her last year. One of those indian prearrenged marriages(sort of). We spent about 3 months together here in the US after getting married in South Africa. Because of very tight immigration laws (because of the stupid terrorists) she had to go back to South Africa. Havent seen her since. Well Ill be having a good time touring South Africa with her. 8)

later,

I'd like to see

Patagonia
the Antarctic
Macchu Picchu

and lots of other places, but these are at the top of my list right now.

Well, I used to want to get a $3,000/night room in the Four Season's in Bali someday when I finally win the lottery...but I don't know about that anymore.

If I did some major travelling, I think I would like to visit Poland...maybe find someone that can help fill in the blanks on my family tree. Not exactly a paradise island :) Also, Australia and New Zealand have always looked appealing to me. And Tokyo. It seems so different, yet in many ways strikingly similar to the US.

Gollum said:
Good choices Humus. I spent my last holiday on Iceland (September last year), it was fantastic! My girlfriend and I drove there with my old car, taking the Ferry from Denmark and making a 3 day stop on the Faeroer Islands on the way. Including the way to Denmark and back we drove like 6500km in less than a month, but it was well worth it!
The landscapes, waterfalls, geothermal active areas, colours, lonelyness and just in general the atmosphere were truly an amazing experience. It was probably the most enjoyable and impressive holiday I've had in a long time, and I've been to a number of great places only in recent years (e.g. Thailand, Mexico, Hong Kong and various European countries). The wind can be bitchy, as can the rain, but that doesn't really matter once you're there. Did I mention the sheep and pony's you'll ge to see? Oh, and many roads are hell for cars! ;)

Well, nice to hear you had a wonderful time there. Just makes me wanna go there even more. I think I might be able to get some of my brother and sisters to join (I have so many of them so at least some must be willing ;)).

Oh, I forgot, I'd love to go to Italy. Getting to Venice would be cool. :)

New Zealand. And not because of the Tolkien flics but because several couples from NZ that the wife and I met in Europe last year were some of the nicest people we've ever encountered.

I'd actually like to go to Kandahar or Basra. I tend to think it will be much more eye-opening and significant for me than a 'relaxing' holiday. As in when I come back (IF I come back LOL) I'd have seen much more life changing things than if I went to island XXX.

I would like to see all of the British Isles, Germany, Rome, and China.

As far as paradise goes, I would prefer a nice tropical Pacific island of my own. But to be honest, I do not know how much swimming I would do, as I am permanently scarred from watching JAWS at an early age.

I've just got back from a 3 week holiday to Aus where I visited two places I'd always wanted to see.

The first was Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory, which is the size of a small European country (eg Wales or Belgium) and is world heritage listed area because of the wildlife and Aboriginal history. We spent 3 days camping, seeing the flora/fauna, and the views, and it was fantastic.

The second was a visit to the area around Cairns (i.e. the reef and the mountainous rainforest area behind it). I'd been to another part of the reef before but only after a big storm and the visibility then wasn't perfect. This time it was incredible.

It's a real disappointment to be back in the UK. sigh.

Back