Non violent solution to Iraq problem?

Since this question got lost in another Bush bashing incident in another thread, I figure I might as well start a new one specifically for this topic.

For those that oppose the Coalition using force at this time to remove Sadam's regime from power, what specifically is your proposal for dealing with the Iraq issue?

I present the "issue" as two-fold:

1) His continued defiance of the UN, non-cooperation with weapons inspectors, and othersise failure to prove he's willingly disarmed of WMD.

2) His contuned oppression of the Irai people.

I pose the issue as two fold, because practically everyone that I know of, agrees that the Iraqi regime is in fact a problem in at least one, if not both, of those ways. In other words, this shouldn't be yet another thread arguing about proof, if he's a real "threat", etc. Assuming you believe at least one of those two points is a major problem, how do you deal with it, and why is it better than forcibly removing him from power?

1. The US can't cry non cooperation with the UN as a reason to Invade when they only agree with the UN when it benefits them directly. Counting resolutions a country doesn't cooperate with is stupid, saying the UN is useless on one hand and using it as justification on the other is hypocritical. An MTV attention span of the voting public isn't a good reason to be in a rush to start firing missles.

2. The world is a shitty place, if the US is saying it's going to clean house across the globe then don't be surprised if other countries say, "whoa, you're on your own there, dude!". Maybe the US should have been invaded before they had a civil war. What, you worked out slavery on your own? Good for you. Maybe the US should just mind it's own business and let the people be the revolutionaries. You can't give people freedom, they have to earn it.

There is no black hats and white hats in any given situation, there are only grey hats. I think a lot of the American public thinks the world works like it does in the movies.

Um as you know the Iraqi's tried to get their freedom, and they died, sometimes people need help.

If we had not had the French's help we would still be a british colony, well actually I am not stupid enough to believe that, but we would not be the US we are, we would be like Australia, or Canada.

People do need outside help sometimes, maybe you have never needed help in your life but normal people do.

Sxotty said:
Um as you know the Iraqi's tried to get their freedom, and they died, sometimes people need help.

If we had not had the French's help we would still be a british colony, well actually I am not stupid enough to believe that, but we would not be the US we are, we would be like Australia, or Canada.

People do need outside help sometimes, maybe you have never needed help in your life but normal people do.
Very true, but help does not equal full scale military invasion as your example of the US liberation war serves to illustrate. Or like an Iraqi living in Baghdad posted on his website shortly before the war started put it:

"I think that the coming war is not justified (and it is very near now, we hear the war drums loud and clear if you don’t then take those earplugs off!). The excuses for it have been stretched to their limits they will almost snap. A decision has been made sometime ago that “regime change†in Baghdad is needed and excuses for the forceful change have to be made. I do think war could have been avoided, not by running back and forth the last two months, that’s silly. But the whole issue of Iraq should have been dealt with differently since the first day after GW I.
The entities that call themselves “the international community†should have assumed their responsibilities a long time ago, should have thought about what the sanctions they have imposed really meant, should have looked at reports about weapons and human rights abuses a long time before having them thrown in their faces as excuses for war five minutes before midnight.
What is bringing on this rant is the question that has been bugging for days now:
how could “support democracy in Iraq†become to mean “bomb the hell out of Iraq� why did it end up that democracy won’t happen unless we go thru war? Nobody minded an un-democratic Iraq for a very long time, now people have decided to bomb us to democracy? Well, thank you! how thoughtful."

Had the Shiite revolution recieved outside support in 1991 they probably would have ousted Saddam, and this would be a very different world today. Letting them get slaughtered only enabled Saddam to tighten his grip around the Iraqi people. I realize that all the "if we only had acted differently then"s in this world won't free the Iraqi people now, which is why now that the war has begun, I am less emotionally against it then before. I am still not in agreement with it though and question wether the justification presented is really the motivation behind it on several different levels. Anyway, slowly but increasingly now are we seeing signs of the population starting to believe the coalition is really there to see it through, which is good.

As for Joe's post:
1) The problem of the WDM issue is that Iraq was asked to prove a negative, which is pretty much impossible. It's like saying "Prove me that you do not have a weapon in your house. I know you have one because I sold it to you, so prove me you don't have it anymore". You could probably never present me with enough proof to assure me beyond any doubt, so I'll have to take your house apart, tear down walls, open up floors, clear out the cupboards, etc. It takes a long time, and I can always accuse you of moving it to those 3% of the house I haven't yet searched. Its a silly game, a race against time, one the accused can't possibly win against the will of the people accusing him.

The solution in this case of WDM is not proof, but containment. UN resolutions are not law, many nations have broken them including members of the coalition invading Iraq, I don't see us in a hurry to bomb them to the stone age. The real question is, can we prevent him from doing any more harm with any WDM that might possibly slip through our net. And I think the answer to that would have been a yes! We have seen that Saddam, although continuing to play games, was actually complying to a surprisingly high level with weapon inspectors in the months leading up to the war. His military has been degraded to a joke and never been able to recover after the first Gulf War, his ties to 9/11 are virtually non-existant, so IMO you'd have to be pretty paranoid or desperate to still consider him a threat, especially if you're living far-off in the US. The middle east as you call it, is for us europeans actually the near east, we should be much more worried about it than you are, but funnily enough we aren't.

As for a procedure for this solution, the fact that you even have to ask is a bit sad but I will try to explain a possible scenario. With a slower and more carefully prepared facade of military pressure, a fully united interational stance and basically just more consideration and patience, the whole situation could have been handled a lot better and very possibly been brought to a satisfying end. There would have had to be a much more determined effort made towards the issue than was presented over the past years though. When the first indications of the Bush administration's renewed interest in the Iraq issue became apparent there was hope that it would lead to the situation I described above.

Unfortunatelly most of that determination was obviously leading directly towards war, causing a lot of opposition and dividing the ranks of the international community, thus taking any hope of a peacefull solution. I blame both sides for this, the Bush administration for their diplomatic failure and much too obvious direct determination to a war, and the opposition (e.g. Chirac, Schröder) for taking their stances of an absolute no to war. The whole situation will go down in the history books as an example of how NOT to conduct international diplomacy and cooperation IMO, as an example for coming generations to learn to do better...

2) The question of opression is a much more difficult but also dubious one. I hate to use the word after recent discussions, but hypocrisy does play a role, because in face of the realities of the world, the opression of the Iraqi looks like more of an emotional playcard in the hands of the coalition than anything else. Funny you are using it now, as usually such things are the speciality of your so despised "liberals". ;)

There are dozens of opressive governments around the world, crimes against humanity are unfortunatelly committed every day and almost everywhere in the world. So I have to ask you Joe, seriously, what is your solution to those problems? Go and launch a "pre-emptive" invasion against them all, is that YOUR solution? That's not the world I want to live in.

Call me an idealist, but I believe in the souvereignity of countries. That does not mean that opressed people should not recieve help, but everything has its time, place and scale. Look at a situation like the Kosovo, there too US troops (amongst others) intervened without UN backing and all allies were with you. Why not now?

1. People there were pretty much openly crying for international help in light of the crisis, similar things can be said for some of the other more recent military interventions. The Iraqi people didn't ask for help AFAIK. Yes that also has to do with the history of the past decade and the Saddam regime's control mechanisms, but there was an open revolution before, it could have kindled up again with help.

2. It was not the invasion of a souvereign country with the goal of a regime change, but a carefully aimed intervention. It was not a pre-emptive war, a war that sets a dangerous precedent for the future. Actually I have to say that I feel this war is very un-american in many ways, the US I thought I knew didn't stand for pre-emptive invasion of a souvereign country.

This war also sends out a sad message to all other opressive regimes out there loud and clear: get WDM, as many and as fast as you can! As Northkorea shows, as long as you can proove you have sufficient quantities of WDM and the ability to deploy them, you won't be militarily attacked by the US. Because in that case they suddenly want to "talk things over" with you...

I rest my case for today. It's like half past 5am here, so forgive me for any spelling or gramatical errors. I have tried to adress your concerns as seriously as I can at this time and I hope I managed to convey everything I wanted to. I think I made a post worth of non-inflamatory serious replies, but only tomorrow will show that I guess. I'll go to bed now , night everybody! :)

Gollum wrote:
.......his ties to 9/11 are virtually non-existant,......

What is your opinion of this article?
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/archive/article/0,,4296646,00.html

His friends call him Abu Amin, 'the father of honesty'. At 43, he is one of Iraq's most highly decorated intelligence officers: a special forces veteran who organised killings behind Iranian lines during the first Gulf war, who then went on to a senior post in the unit known as 'M8' - the department for 'special operations', such as sabotage, terrorism and murder. This is the man, Colonel Muhammed Khalil Ibrahim al-Ani, whom Mohamed Atta flew halfway across the world to meet in Prague last April, five months before piloting his hijacked aircraft into the World Trade Centre.

Evidence is mounting that this meeting was not an isolated event. The Observer has learnt that Atta's talks with al-Ani were only one of several apparent links between Iraq, the 11 September hijackers and Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network. Senior US intelligence sources say the CIA has 'credible information' that in the spring of this year, at least two other members of the hijacking team also met known Iraqi intelligence agents outside the United States. They are believed to be Atta's closest associates and co-leaders, Marwan al-Shehri and Ziad Jarrah, the other two members of the 'German cell ' who lived with Atta in Hamburg in the late 1990s.

In the strongest official statement to date alleging Iraqi involvement in the new wave of anti-Western terrorism, on Friday night Milos Zeman, the Czech Prime Minister, told reporters and Colin Powell, the US Secretary of State, that the Czech authorities believed Atta and al-Ani met expressly to discuss a bombing. He said they were plotting to destroy the Prague-based Radio Free Europe with a truck stuffed with explosives, adding: 'Yes, you cannot exclude also the hypothesis that they discussed football, ice hockey, weather and other topics. But I am not so sure"......It still seems almost certain, intelligence sources say, that parts of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network actively backed the conspiracy: about half of the estimated $500,000 the hijackers used reportedly came from al-Qaeda sources, while some of the terrorists are believed to have passed through bin Laden's camps in Afghanistan. At the same time, however, evidence is emerging of direct Iraqi links with the US hijackers in particular, and with radical Islamic terror groups in general.......In the early period after the attacks, Western intelligence agencies said they knew of nothing to suggest an Iraqi connection. That position has now changed. A top US analyst - a serving intelligence official with no connection to the 'hawks' around Wolfowitz - told The Observer: 'You should think of this thing as a spectrum: with zero Iraqi involvement at one end, and 100 per cent Iraqi direction and control at the other. The scenario we now find most plausible is somewhere in the middle range - significant Iraqi assistance and some involvement.'

Gollum wrote:
The middle east as you call it, is for us europeans actually the near east, we should be much more worried about it than you are, but funnily enough we aren't.
Its true. Eurpoeans don't feel as threatened as Americans. Thats partly because Europeans were not attacked. You weren't told that "your planes will fall out of the sky" and that your people will be "massacred"( http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,576159,00.html)

Gollum wrote:
Had the Shiite revolution recieved outside support in 1991 they probably would have ousted Saddam, and this would be a very different world today.
I allways like it when people say "we should have done it back in 91' when we had the chance, but now......." as if they would have supported it then even if the coliation would have fallen apart and the US would have gone against the UN mandate. Outside support would probably have ousted Saddam? Not without airpower and thats not outside support. What's next, a no fly zone over all of Iraq? Gee,... were getting in a little bit deeper....

This war also sends out a sad message to all other opressive regimes out there loud and clear: get WDM, as many and as fast as you can! As Northkorea shows, as long as you can proove you have sufficient quantities of WDM and the ability to deploy them, you won't be militarily attacked by the US. Because in that case they suddenly want to "talk things over" with you...

I think the war sends the message out loud and clear to all other opressive regimes out there: WMD are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Regimes will be a lot more cautious.

There are dozens of opressive governments around the world, crimes against humanity are unfortunatelly committed every day and almost everywhere in the world. So I have to ask you Joe, seriously, what is your solution to those problems?
Well you've already answered that one...."That does not mean that opressed people should not recieve help, but everything has its time, place and scale". :)

This is a nice distraction from the original topic, but its a bit shortcoming as its only picking up a couple of comments from my very lengthy post and leaves it at that. What follows is a further elaboration of some points brought up by Silent_One and serves to illustrate some aspects of the complex issues of the discussion. But by any means, the original post I made is still intact and should remain the primary concern for on-topic discussion. What I would like to see is a comment on the whole case presented for points 1 and 2. Point 1 has the priority in the argument simply as that was the primary reason for this war we were presented with for well over a year, whereas point 2 has only been brought up as a reason at the very last minute (but of course is still an important issue).

Silent_One said:
Gollum wrote:
.......his ties to 9/11 are virtually non-existant,......
What is your opinion of this article?
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/archive/article/0,,4296646,00.html
It is interesting, but it only takes the same information that has been available and simply spins it differently. Without even having to try very hard I can produce a number of links that come to a different conclusion. What do you think of these articles?
CIA fails to find Iraqi link to terror
Although administration officials say they are still trying to develop a case linking Saddam Hussein to global terrorism, the CIA has yet to find convincing evidence, according to senior intelligence officials and outside experts with knowledge of discussions within the US Government.

Analysts who have scrutinised photographs, communications intercepts and information from foreign informants say they cannot validate two prominent allegations made by the government: links between President Saddam and al Qaeda members who have taken refuge in northern Iraq, and an April, 2001, meeting in Prague between September 11 hijacker Mohamed Atta and an Iraqi intelligence agent.

"It's a thin reed," said a senior intelligence official describing the information on both cases.

As a result of the CIA's conclusions, the Bush administration has accepted that its stronger case against Iraq is Baghdad's apparent attempt to acquire chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.

Israel denies Iraqi terror attack link
Israel's chief of military intelligence has said in an interview that Iraq was not involved with the 11 September terror attacks in the United States.

"I don't see a direct link between Iraq and the hijackings and terror attacks in the United States," Major-General Amos Malka said in Israel's Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper on Sunday.

Some analysts have suggested that the scale of the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon meant that a state must have been involved, with Iraq a likely suspect.

"I know many people are wondering whether this kind of attack could be carried out without the help of a country and they immediately point at Iraq or Iran," Mr Malka said.

"But as far as intelligence is concerned, I cannot point at the moment to a connection. There is no Iraqi angle or infrastructure that we can point to at this stage," he added.

US intelligence officials say they have found little evidence linking Iraq to the attacks.

No Link Between Iraq and Terror Attacks: Britain's Jack Straw
In an interview with the British daily the Independent, Straw said: "The decisions which the (US) administration have made have been careful and thought through up to now. I have no reason to think that won't continue."

He added: "I have seen no evidence to support any link (between Iraq and the September 11 attacks).

Al-Qaida and Iraq: how strong is the evidence?
However, a number of well-placed sources in Whitehall insisted there was no intelligence suggesting such a link. "While we have said there may possibly be individuals in the country [Iraq] we have never said anything to suggest specific links between al-Qaida and Saddam Hussein," said one.

Establishing the link is essential to persuading the public that Iraq represents an imminent threat, and President Bush insisted that hard evidence in the shape of "intelligence sources, secret communications, and statements by people now in custody" proved the connection was real.

But the intelligence analysts in the US and Britain on whose work the president's claim was supposedly based say the connections are tangential at best, and the available evidence falls far short of proving a secret relationship between Baghdad and Osama bin Laden. One intelligence source in Washington, who has seen CIA material on the link, described the case as "soft" and "squishy".

Sorry, but I think for legitimizing a pre-emptive invasion of a souvereign country you need more than tangential, soft and squishy evidence.

Relating to this and the WMD situation Rumsfeld said "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence." Great, I would love to see that become the new standard of rights in your courtrooms. Finally defendants will never again stand a chance in court, hurray, hail the constitution!

You still don't see how un-american much of this argumentation is? Shoot first, ask questions later? Proof of innocence instead of proof of guilt?

Its true. Eurpoeans don't feel as threatened as Americans. Thats partly because Europeans were not attacked. You weren't told that "your planes will fall out of the sky" and that your people will be "massacred"( http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,576159,00.html)
1) You are aware that arabic language by its nature is a lot more bloomy than our western tongues especially after being tranlated, yes? Saying "I will soil your ground with blood infidel" in an arabic country is like saying "get the f*ck off my property you prick" here. That's only a small part of the cultural misunderstandings going on here.
2) Europe also has a long ongoing history with terrorist attacks, its not as if we've been living in Disneyland here for the past century. By the Arab people as wellas terrorists we are also percieved as a part of the western world, which also makes us a target for these terrorist cells.
3) It is a bit worrying for me to see that because of one single terrorist attack and some rethoric behind it, however horribly tragic and devestating that attack was, a large part of a country's population is seemingly willing to back up any large scale military operations against people and countries that as much as might remotely have something to do with the incident.
4) This "you piss on me, I will piss back 100 times as much and show you who not to mes with" is not really a rational response either. One would expect a people to calm down after 18 months but apparently that is not happening.

Do you really agree that out of a general fear for Islatmist extremists it is okay to go an invade any number of foreign countries, topple regimes, destroy large parts of the infrastructure and kill thousands of innocents in the process? And do so even if that country isn't the one who has made that threats or comitted the attack directly, nor is as much as remotely proven to be indirectly responsible or in support? That's a dangerous road the US is going down there, so far I don't like it...

As a lighter note, AFAIK americans are fairly effective at killing each other (what was it, like 11k murders last year?), many more americans get killed by other americans each year in your country than die by terrorism. Don't you think that might actually also deserve some attention too? Are you gonna invade yourself next? ;)

I allways like it when people say "we should have done it back in 91' when we had the chance, but now......." as if they would have supported it then even if the coliation would have fallen apart and the US would have gone against the UN mandate. Outside support would probably have ousted Saddam? Not without airpower and thats not outside support. What's next, a no fly zone over all of Iraq? Gee,... were getting in a little bit deeper....
I wish you would have read my whole post instead of singling out comments, I also wrote right in the next sentence:
I realize that all the "if we only had acted differently then"s in this world won't free the Iraqi people now
As for the specifics of how that help could have looked ... duh ... its a bit futile to argue it now and that was not my point. I brought this up to a) show there was a historical precedent for the people standing up to Saddam (and IIRC during said revolution Saddam did get into serious trouble, rebels controlled the majority of Iraqi territorry for some time, without the republican guard slowly but surely massacring the opposition Saddam would have lost control) and b) illustrate why the Shiite majority hasn't been reacting as positively to the coalition forces so far as we were made to believe (e.g. by Dick Cheney). There was a very simple reason why we didn't go in back then to oust Saddam, as George Bush Sr. put it: "It would turn the entire Arab world against us." But is that any less true today?

I think the war sends the message out loud and clear to all other opressive regimes out there: WMD are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Regimes will be a lot more cautious.
You really think so? Think abot it for a second, its one thing to say something, and entirely another to convey that message and back up your claims. IMO the current double standards by the Bush administration in regards to Northkorea and Iraq paint exactly the opposite picture! Like I said in my original post, if you have enough WMD and can prove you have the means to deploy them, the US will talk to you instead of invading you, Please show me ANY argument based on current political or military action by the US that supports a different viewpoint, I'd really like to see it!

There are dozens of opressive governments around the world, crimes against humanity are unfortunatelly committed every day and almost everywhere in the world. So I have to ask you Joe, seriously, what is your solution to those problems?
Well you've already answered that one...."That does not mean that opressed people should not recieve help, but everything has its time, place and scale". :)
Hehe, it does indeed give a hint, but its not an answer. Do you believe that the administration has the honest and sincere goal to remove, one after the other, any opressive government there is left on this world by the appropriate means? Sorry to be the one to tell you, but that's an illusion. Not only would it be a questionable activity in itself (who are they to decide what is best fot this entire world?), I don't think there has ever been anything said, indicated or even hinted at that could remotely give the impression. On the other hand the administration's favourite think tanks have a very different view of the future of this world, primarily identifying specific regimes as threats for future security, prosperity and interests. All of those implied targets of course are US un-friendly regimes mostly of this so called "axis of evil". In general other opressors that are not openly anti-US get left pretty much alone. I don't even want to get into the way too long list of so called "friendly dictators", opressive regimes the US has had or continues to have friendly dealings with, making all this "liberation" effort going on in Iraq a bit hypocritical.

I originally didn't intend to bring this up as it might cause this thread to get even further off topic, but I would also like to remind you of the US' reaction after the now so often brought up atrocity of Saddam, when he was using gas against his own people some 13 years or so ago (now used over and over to show everyone just what kind of monster he really is)? You should have guessed it by now, the very same Donald Rumsfeld who is now so openly outspoken against Saddam, went to Iraq with 1,2 billion dollars in the name of the Bush Sr. administration, shaking hands despite knowing of those atrocities and bringing additional aid for the regime. Yes it is history now and those ties certainly have been cut ... oh boy have they been cut ... but that doesn't mean its not still silently happening at other places around the world. Nor does it mean that Rumsfeld, or anybody else of these "hawks" involved in creating their own Frankensteins (thanks for that reference Sebastian ;) ), had a sudden change of hearts over how ruthless their politics sometimes have to be to achieve their goals.

Himself,

Bzzzt. Thanks for playing. You did exactly what I asked not to do. (You argued more reasons why we shouldn't do what we're doing, but not present a solution.

Gollum,

(I'll again skip the parts about wht you think some arguments for the war are bad, again, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid this thread getting bogged down to.)

You did address the question though. :)

The solution in this case of WDM is not proof, but containment.

My response is that we tried containment, and it failed. We can't consider the situation contained, if we are not convinced that he doesn't have WMD, and that he hasn't been trying to deceive us the the past 12 years.

His military has been degraded to a joke and never been able to recover after the first Gulf War,

I mostly agree with that, but his conventional military is not the threat we are worried about.

Gulf War, his ties to 9/11 are virtually non-existant, so IMO you'd have to be pretty paranoid or desperate to still consider him a threat,

It's not ties directly to 9/11 that are the issue. It's ties to terrorism in general. Ask me how "paranoid" I was about terrorism before 9/11? Not much. But now that they have proven that they are in fact willing to strike, you bet your ass I'm concerned.

As for a procedure for this solution, the fact that you even have to ask is a bit sad

Agree. It's very sad considering that everyone arguming gainst the war doesn't seem to offer any other solution, despite multiple direct requests for them. That's why I asked.

With a slower and more carefully prepared facade of military pressure, a fully united interational stance and basically just more consideration and patience, the whole situation could have been handled a lot better and very possibly been brought to a satisfying end.

Again, in a pre 9/11 world, I would agree. And I also see this as the biggest failure of the past 12 years of UN resolutions. THAT was the time for military pressure, instead of "throwing our hands up in the air" when things like throwing inspectors out occur. 9/11 really did justifiably change things, IMO.

I understand the desire to "give more time and patience." However, I request that you understand that the more "patient" we are, the more we our putting ourselves at risk for additional 9/11s or worse. That is the unique position that the U.S. is in that the "Europeans" don't recognize.

The whole situation will go down in the history books as an example of how NOT to conduct international diplomacy and cooperation IMO, as an example for coming generations to learn to do better...

I disagree.

The whole situation will be seen as a FAILURE of 12 years of "diplomacy" to address the problem properly. The Chirac's and Schröders will be seen as the obstacles they are. The operation itself will be seen as one of the most successful in history, and given time and Iraq's full lliberation, it will be seen as one of the cases where might was backed by "right".

Sigh...maybe you should start another thread on this. Again, I don't want THIS thread to get bogged down in whether or not you think our solution is right. It's how you would solve it.

We have our own problems that we should address before getting high and mighty about places half-way around the world. We have the highest prison population of any country in the world, probably in the history of mankind.
Containment worked for 12 years, with modern satellite technology it would have worked indefinitely.
The fact that people must realize that the oil in Iraq and all the costs associated with rebuildiing that will go directly to the US will inject about a 20% boost into the economy.

duncan36 said:
The fact that people must realize that the oil in Iraq and all the costs associated with rebuildiing that will go directly to the US will inject about a 20% boost into the economy.
So we'll be getting 10 trillion dollars a year from Iraq? Wow. I definately would have supported it if I'd known that.

duncan36 said:
We have our own problems that we should address before getting high and mighty about places half-way around the world. We have the highest prison population of any country in the world, probably in the history of mankind.
I doubt it is as high as in USSR, but most of our "criminals" are people locked up for non-violent victimless crimes (e.g. growing medical marijuana)

These people are by and large, in prison because of the drug war.

Containment worked for 12 years, with modern satellite technology it would have worked indefinitely.

Yes, miracle modern satellite technology. Been watching too many Tom Clancy films eh? Do these satellites see through buildings and detect Anthrax fermenters?

Hint: Even if you assume 2-5cm resolution, NRO's satellites have known orbits, which makes it easily to avoid them, as India and Pakistan did during their nuclear tests.

US economy = $10 trillion. That means, we'd have to sell $2 trillion worth of Iraqi oil to have a 20% bonus. Even if you allow for the multiplier effect (which in the real world is about 2, in theory is 10), means Iraq would have to sell between $200 billion and $1 trillion of oil to pay for enough reconstruction to have a stimulus effect of 20% for our economy.

Now, at say, $20/bbl, Iraq would have to ship TEN BILLION BARRELS OF OIL. Currently, US imports 8-9 million barrels a day. This means, Iraq would have to be the only supplier of imported oil to the US for 4 years. It also exceeds even Saudi Arabia's production rate.

Currently, only 8.9% of our oil from Saudis, and only 13% from the middle east in total. For reference, 9.1% comes from Canada. Similar ratios apply for Europe. So somewhere along the line, Iraq has to squash Canada, US, Russian, Saudi Arabia, Kuwaiti, South America, Nigeria, etc in the world oil markets and sell the vast majority of all oil that is imported.

In other words, you pulled your numbers out of your ass.

Joe DeFuria said:
My response is that we tried containment, and it failed. We can't consider the situation contained, if we are not convinced that he doesn't have WMD, and that he hasn't been trying to deceive us the the past 12 years.

Where are they, Joe? Where are these mysterious weapons of mass destruction???!!!! Don't tell me that the administration knows more than they're letting on. Bush couldn't even produce evidence to convince the others on the security council, and they had to resort to a 10th rate forgery to try to drum up support. Why would they do that if they actually had real, tangible evidence?

This topic is nonsense: you're just asking questions in a way that you're guaranteed to get the response you want, while making it impossible to argue against it.

What about the people in Saudi Arabia? What about the people in Africa? How is attacking Iraq going to liberate them? There are so many people being oppressed in the world, that Iraq is just a small drop in the bucket. I don't see anyone getting up in arms about the oppressions of people in Saudi Arabia and, for that matter, prior to 6 months ago no one gave a shit about the people in Iraq. I really doubt you've been having sleepless nights all these 12 years knowing that the people in Iraq were being oppressed. That's not why we're at war, so the question isn't even worth answering.

To answer your question the US can 1) attack every country in the world with a dictator, or 2) just go home. And we're just going to follow #2, because liberation wasn't the reason we attacked to begin with.

Once again, the message we sent to the world is "We're looking out for our own interests. If you get in our way we'll crush you. If you don't, then we'll just leave you to abuse your people in whatever way you want." Americans don't give a damn about anyone else, and everyone knows it except for themselves. :rolleyes:

Joe DeFuria said:
Himself,

Bzzzt. Thanks for playing. You did exactly what I asked not to do. (You argued more reasons why we shouldn't do what we're doing, but not present a solution.

I think there was no need for anything different from what was being done already, or was progressing towards. Maybe there would have been a war in the end, but there was no rush to get on with one. Either Iraq has no chemical or biological weapons (I won't use the term weapons of mass ...., if I hear that again I will hit somebody :)) or they have a lot of self control, either way, they are not a serious threat and there was no need to go to war. There is more of a threat from second hand smoke than some short range tanks half a world away.

You question is a bit like "have you stopped beating your wife"? You go into it with the intention of proving war is the only solution and that there are no arguments against it. The premise is that there is an immediate problem that must be solved. Some obvious threat from a country smaller than Canada with even less hope of resisting a US invasion, a country you had already beat and had controlled. There was no more of a problem in Iraq than had existed for the last decade, there was no urgency to solve it with force. There is no good time like the present, or we might as well, is not a good enough reason. Oh no, crimal behaviour was going on in the country, the only difference between that and somewhere else is who is doing it. Rapes and murders happen in every country, if it's a corrupt government or just general crime, it's not a reason to invade. If the US wants international standards and a global court it should support initiatives when the world tries to create them instead of assuming the role of caped crusader. Invading because you can or to fix past mistakes you made is not great either.

The end justifies the means vs two wrongs don't make a right about sums it up.

Gollum wrote:
It is interesting, but it only takes the same information that has been available and simply spins it differently. Without even having to try very hard I can produce a number of links that come to a different conclusion. What do you think of these articles?

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1220-07.htm
No Link Between Iraq and Terror Attacks: Britain's Jack Straw / December 20, 2001
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1559353.stm
Israel denies Iraqi terror attack link / Sunday, 23 September, 2001
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/09/10/1031608245289.html
CIA fails to find Iraqi link to terror / By Dana Priest / September 11 2002
http://www.guardian.co.uk/alqaida/story/0,12469,885114,00.html
Al-Qaida and Iraq: how strong is the evidence? Thursday January 30, 2003
The first two articles should be dismissed right away because of when they were written. There is no way for any proper investigation to take place to even begin to determine if there is any connection between the terrorists and Iraq. Indeed, given the fact that investigations are currently still ongoing and in some cases have just begun (Congressional inquires just got funded) it would be both unwise and premature to dismiss the possibility of any connection. Historically a fairly consistent pattern in the investigation of major Middle Eastern episodes of terrorism has been that while they may at first seem to be acts of individuals or groups, a state sponser eventually emerges. For example in Lebanon beginning in 1984 the taking of American hostages at first seemed to be the work of a lebanese Shi'i, Imad Mughniyah. He demanded 17 Kuwait prisoners (the "Dawa 17"), including his brother, set free in exchange for the hostages. Only after a considerable time, and much heated debates within the US agencys, did it become apparent that Iran was behind Mughiyah.
Or how about after Hungarys Communists regime fell and the new goverment revieled that Budapest had supported the terrorist known as Carlos the Jackal. It is now known that East Germany and Hungary provided assistance to the Red Army Faction. Or after a wave of bombings against Jewish targets in Paris in 1985 and 1986 first apperaed to be caused by some unknown, shadowy Middle Eastern group. Again, with time, Iran proved to be behind that voilence. States have provided far more involvement in terrorism than was generally recognized at the time of the attacks.

Relating to this and the WMD situation Rumsfeld said "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence." Great, I would love to see that become the new standard of rights in your courtrooms. Finally defendants will never again stand a chance in court, hurray, hail the constitution!.....You still don't see how un-american much of this argumentation is? Shoot first, ask questions later? Proof of innocence instead of proof of guilt?

This is not a court room. Evidence in itself does not need to be proof, it needs to be convincing. One of the problems is acquiring evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Criminal convictions in a US. court does require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. That high standard has a purpose. It aims to protect the life, liberty, and property of US. citizens against abuse by authority. But that is not the standard that is used in national security affairs. It never could be, because such certainty rarely exists. To deal effectively with terrorism, authorities need to be able to consider information that would not constitute evidence in a court of law.

Do you really agree that out of a general fear for Islatmist extremists it is okay to go an invade any number of foreign countries, topple regimes, destroy large parts of the infrastructure and kill thousands of innocents in the process? And do so even if that country isn't the one who has made that threats or comitted the attack directly, nor is as much as remotely proven to be indirectly responsible or in support?

First, such a general blank statement desreves a simple answer of no. And after all the typing and time you took I'd expect better form you than that. Or this for that matter....
As a lighter note, AFAIK americans are fairly effective at killing each other (what was it, like 11k murders last year?), many more americans get killed by other americans each year in your country than die by terrorism. Don't you think that might actually also deserve some attention too? Are you gonna invade yourself next? ;)
Regardless of your cute statements I believe that over time we will learn more details of the 9/11 attacks. But can we afford to wait for the "full" story befor we protect ourselves from further attcaks? America is at war and our countries leaders must be able to react swiftly. In war decisions must be made on the basis of incomplete information. Decisions must be made on the basis of probabilities. And what is the probility of a future attack??? Very high I'd say. Whats the chance Bin Ladin or other terrorists carrying out simular attacks like 9/11 without assistance from a state? Next to zero

Nagorak said:
Where are they, Joe? Where are these mysterious weapons of mass destruction???!!!!

Nagorak, AGAIN please start your own thread if you are not interested in addressing the question at hand.

This topic is nonsense: you're just asking questions in a way that you're guaranteed to get the response you want, while making it impossible to argue against it.

Huh? What response am I guaranteed to get? I continually hear these two statements from those who opposed the war:

1) The situation in Iraq must be fixed or changed. (The UN security council unanimously agreed the situation must be changed.)
2) War is not the way to do it.

The logical question, again, is how do we do it?

By all means, if you want to start a nonsense "bash America thread" go for it. Just keep it out of here. The goal of this thread is not to be Pro or Anti anything, just an examination of different potential solutions to the problem.

Thanks for playing. :rolleyes:

Sanctions worked against South Africa. The world should have stopped buying Iraqi oil and enforced sanctions properly, but of course this would have put up world oil prices.

To be honest I don't think this would have worked, but now we will never know.

O.T. I know that they have to sort out the Israel / Palestine thing soon, but I hope they will turn their attention to Robert Mugabe next, another figure the French leader was happy to shake hands with. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2881793.stm

Gollum wrote:
Quote:
1) You are aware that arabic language by its nature is a lot more bloomy than our western tongues especially after being tranlated, yes? Saying "I will soil your ground with blood infidel" in an arabic country is like saying "get the f*ck off my property you prick" here. That's only a small part of the cultural misunderstandings going on here.

Maybe this is a little clearer to you:
http://www.observer.co.uk/worldview/story/0,11581,845725,00.html
Full text: bin Laden's 'letter to America'

........You may then dispute that all the above does not justify aggression against civilians, for crimes they did not commit and offenses in which they did not partake:

(a) This argument contradicts your continuous repetition that America is the land of freedom, and its leaders in this world. Therefore, the American people are the ones who choose their government by way of their own free will; a choice which stems from their agreement to its policies. Thus the American people have chosen, consented to, and affirmed their support for the Israeli oppression of the Palestinians, the occupation and usurpation of their land, and its continuous killing, torture, punishment and expulsion of the Palestinians. The American people have the ability and choice to refuse the policies of their Government and even to change it if they want.

(b) The American people are the ones who pay the taxes which fund the planes that bomb us in Afghanistan, the tanks that strike and destroy our homes in Palestine, the armies which occupy our lands in the Arabian Gulf, and the fleets which ensure the blockade of Iraq. These tax dollars are given to Israel for it to continue to attack us and penetrate our lands. So the American people are the ones who fund the attacks against us, and they are the ones who oversee the expenditure of these monies in the way they wish, through their elected candidates.

(c) Also the American army is part of the American people. It is this very same people who are shamelessly helping the Jews fight against us.

(d) The American people are the ones who employ both their men and their women in the American Forces which attack us.

(e) This is why the American people cannot be not innocent of all the crimes committed by the Americans and Jews against us.

(f) Allah, the Almighty, legislated the permission and the option to take revenge. Thus, if we are attacked, then we have the right to attack back. Whoever has destroyed our villages and towns, then we have the right to destroy their villages and towns. Whoever has stolen our wealth, then we have the right to destroy their economy. And whoever has killed our civilians, then we have the right to kill theirs.

The American Government and press still refuses to answer the question:

Why did they attack us in New York and Washington?

If Sharon is a man of peace in the eyes of Bush, then we are also men of peace!!! America does not understand the language of manners and principles, so we are addressing it using the language it understands............If you fail to respond to all these conditions, then prepare for fight with the Islamic Nation. The Nation of Monotheism, that puts complete trust on Allah and fears none other than Him. The Nation which is addressed by its Quran with the words: "Do you fear them? Allah has more right that you should fear Him if you are believers. Fight against them so that Allah will punish them by your hands and disgrace them and give you victory over them and heal the breasts of believing people. And remove the anger of their (believers') hearts. Allah accepts the repentance of whom He wills. Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise." [Quran9:13-1]...........
..........The Nation of Martyrdom; the Nation that desires death more than you desire life:............
If the Americans refuse to listen to our advice and the goodness, guidance and righteousness that we call them to, then be aware that you will lose this Crusade Bush began, just like the other previous Crusades in which you were humiliated by the hands of the Mujahideen, fleeing to your home in great silence and disgrace. If the Americans do not respond, then their fate will be that of the Soviets who fled from Afghanistan to deal with their military defeat, political breakup, ideological downfall, and economic bankruptcy.

Seems clear enough to me.

Back