Wii version of Zelda: Twilight Princess reviews coming in

It think it's unfair thought to simply lower a score simpl because it's no Gears. UGO's comparison is a little bit more fairer, citing it is definately there with Resident Evil 4.

I am rather surprised that they gave Twilight princess only 8.8, I mean, seriously? I'm willing to bet my left nut (once again) that twilight princess offers way better gaming experience than any game so far in any next gen console.

The graphics might not wow you but Zelda games have always delivered in gameplay and lots of bonus things to do.

Thats just my opinion, I guess I'll lose my left nut this time around.

Nintendo said that we can expect about 80 hours of gameplay.

not to nitpick but i believe it was 70, and gameplay hours are often overstated. I'm not one to dig up every side quest i can possibly find in any game, more often then not the side quests are repetative and cause me to jump right back to the main quest as fast as possible to get back into the juicy story. I'd be shocked if just the main quest of the game took more then 25-30 hours.

I am rather surprised that they gave Twilight princess only 8.8, I mean, seriously? I'm willing to bet my left nut (once again) that twilight princess offers way better gaming experience than any game so far in any next gen console.

The graphics might not wow you but Zelda games have always delivered in gameplay and lots of bonus things to do.

Worst rating they gave a Zelda game since Majora's Mask ;).

Though to be fair a chunk of the score came right out of their complaint on the sound (they gave graphics a 9). Who the hell cares about sound in a zelda game? I can play any of the scrolling Zelda games from 15-20 years ago and immediatly get immersed. The explosions or weapon strikes dont have to rock the house or anything.

Only thing my head is spinning around is what console to get it for. Wonder if the wii-mote is perfectly comfortable to use lying down or sitting in a beanbag or something, i absolutly dont want to be standing for the duration. Zelda is a type of game i like to be totally relaxed for, not hunched over or tense (until i hit some boss fights).

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing my head is spinning around is what console to get it for. Wonder if the wii-mote is perfectly comfortable to use lying down or sitting in a beanbag or something, i absolutly dont want to be standing for the duration. Zelda is a type of game i like to be totally relaxed for, not hunched over or tense (until i hit some boss fights).

Umm, I seriously doubt that you'll be standing for nearly 95% of the Wii games. This idea strikes me as rather crazy, I think any play testing would have got the console blown away if you had to stand up to play it.

Umm, I seriously doubt that you'll be standing for nearly 95% of the Wii games. This idea strikes me as rather crazy, I think any play testing would have got the console blown away if you had to stand up to play it.

everytime i've seen someone using a wii they've been standing :LOL:

really what i, and i think a few others need as well, is just an idea how how much movement of the controller it takes to get the desired actions.

<Quick reply before the OSU and UM game starts>

How is this surprising to anybody? This is a gamecube game that was ported to the Wii and the Wiimote controls were slapped onto this game.

The game wasn't developed with the Wiimote in mind. It was developed to be released on the Gamecube.

Of course this game should have Gamecube graphics and the controls should feel as if they were just "mapped" from the normal controller to the Wiimote.

This is a last generation game. There's no way to get around that. It's like releasing Halo2 for the 360 and expecting something different than Halo2 on the Xbox.

everytime i've seen someone using a wii they've been standing :LOL:

really what i, and i think a few others need as well, is just an idea how how much movement of the controller it takes to get the desired actions.
Only the wrist. You can totally rest the forearm on your leg.

I've seen half a minute of footage of Ryan O'Donnell playing Twilight Princess/commenting on the controls at some press event, but I don't remember where exactly. Probably buried in one of the shows, which are 30 minutes long each and 500~600 megs to download.

I saw people playing Zelda on Wii at a games expo yesterday. The line was absolutely huge and it did look like a lot of fun.

100 hours for a game is pretty extraordinary.

I saw people playing Zelda on Wii at a games expo yesterday. The line was absolutely huge and it did look like a lot of fun.

100 hours for a game is pretty extraordinary.

Same thing at the local EB here. Its rather funny, you must give them your car keys in order to play. I was talking to the guy (I didnt feel like getting into the 20th spot in line) about it and he said they'd already had two people try to take off with the Wiimote, which I found extremely funny.

I really doubt that it offers a better gaming experience than oblivion.Of course poor Oblivion doesn't have the raving ******s to back it up and demand perfetc 10s for it but in the adventure/RPG genre it looks like a next generation experinece compared to something like this new zelda which is a GC game in essense.

I really doubt that it offers a better gaming experience than oblivion.Of course poor Oblivion doesn't have the raving ******s to back it up and demand perfetc 10s for it but in the adventure/RPG genre it looks like a next generation experinece compared to something like this new zelda which is a GC game in essense.

One wonders how you got your hands on a copy of Zelda and found the time to play it, to make such a well-balanced comparison of what appears to be 2 fantastic games. I know of at least one Oblivion ******.;)

Im willing to bet my left nut (once again) that twilight princess offers way better gaming experience than any game so far in any next gen console.

How so? Twilight Princess fundamental gameplay mechanics do not stray too far from the that of Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and OOT. IF what the GameSpot reviewer is saying about the Wiimote, sound and presentation in the game is true then I see no reason why this game should get the scores it is receiving from the other reviewers.

A. That review was brought to an 8.8 because of sound so that shows that he just wanted to choose something to mark the game down for.
B. Obvlivion and Zelda aren't comparable other then that they're both one of the first killer apps for they're systems.

Oblivion was also far too buggy for a console game. It's just not comparable with a launch, port-up, in a universally agreeable style Zelda. It's completely different gameplay design too.

How so? Twilight Princess fundamental gameplay mechanics do not stray too far from the that of Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and OOT. IF what the GameSpot reviewer is saying about the Wiimote, sound and presentation in the game is true then I see no reason why this game should get the scores it is receiving from the other reviewers.
Everyone has an opinion true?

Why does the way Jeff feel negate the experiences and scores others have given it?

Simply put, it doesn't. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan, always have been, always will be. I don't get either side of the arguement. Nintendo fans wanting to burn Jeff at the stake, or people using his review as the definitive review.

Neither side makes much sense. You want Zelda and a Wii? Well there's tons of reviews out there saying it is of the highest rank of games. Those that are skeptical, well you've even got one guy that agrees with you.

Why is this a talking point? His opinion is his, yours is yours. At this point if you want a Wii and Zelda, you're more then justified in buying it.

Thundermonkey: Good point.

Even Gerstmann (who previously befuddled me with his Mario Sunshine score/review) says that TP is the best Zelda game ever.

Yet for some reason it doesn't deserve a higher score than TWW, OOT, or... Yoshi's Island DS*. :)

* which I am buying.

You guys are looking at the glass half empty :)

It's been quite known that Z:TP was tailored for the GC rather than the Wii...

Instead of saying "how much of a shame Z:TP is because it was on par with the GC version",

just think of this as "I can't wait till they fully exploit the system on the next Zelda game!"

either way I'm playing the game right now it's pretty good...

it's pretty fun herding those pesky goats.

I just got to the Twilight Realm introduction. (turning into a wolf)

The opening hour or two of the game are good... but it's obvious from early on that the training wheels are on and that the game doesn't "start" for a good 3-5 hours. Still, I love the art. It's not technically amazing in terms of graphics, but it's also far from ugly as some have led us to believe.

Joystiq's rant about reading signs turned out to be complete BS, too.

Ignore the actual scores people and look for writers' opinions that fit your tastes or may justify your purchase. I love Zelda games and nearly all reviewers have said that this plays like a Zelda game only bigger. Enough said... but I'm still unsure of whether purchase of a wii is justified by this game. From what I have read the answer is mostly no. While initially leaning toward buying the wii version of this game, I thought about the other upcoming wii offerings, and none of them appeal to me. That said I will definitely buy and will surely enjoy this game. I will only weigh on which console I play it on.:oops: (wow I love this coked-out symbol)

Back