PSXExtreme: "360 is the #1 next-gen console in Japan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardknock

Veteran
PS3 Behind Xbox 360 In Japan

The weekend statistics for the PS3's Japanese launch are in, and thanks to the huge console shortage, they're not surprising at all.

Sony sold 88,400 PS3 hardware units, which is actually a bit higher than previous reports that stated Japan would get a maximum of 80,000 PS3s for the launch. Of the systems sold, 33,800 were the 20GB PS3s and the remaining 54,600 were the higher-end 60GB model.

But as far as software is concerned, the high price of the PS3 may have wrecked the tie-in ratio. The top selling game, as expected, was Ridge Racer 7, which sold 30,300 copies, and this was followed by Gundam Crossfire at about 30,000, and the somewhat surprising Resistance: Fall of Man (FPS is certainly not a Japanese favorite) at 15,700. Figures for other software have not yet been provided.

According to Enterbrain, these numbers create a tie ratio of about. 0.98, which means that, on average, about one game was sold with the purchase of every PS3. Now, all these numbers appear quite similar to last year's Xbox 360 Japanese launch, which sold 62,135 hardware units and a top-selling game (Ridge Racer 6) that sold 29,891 copies.

Obviously, the severe lack of PS3s contributed to the aforementioned stats, and Microsoft had loaded up Japanese retailers with 100,000 extra 360 units on launch day in 2005. Still, for the time being, we can say that the 360 is the #1 next-gen console in Japan...which is certainly a novelty for Microsoft. However, that novelty will most likely disappear when Sony makes its next PS3 shipment, and there's always the Wii to consider.

Pretty amusing. Of course I don't expect this to last very long. ;)

How is that accurate? Because they've sold less hardware? Or less software? Having been on sale for a couple of days (1 day by the time they'd sold out!) versus a whole year?! Okay, so those comments are accurate, but they're mind-numbingly obvious things to say!

As for software, I'm not surprised tie ratios are low seeing as half the machines seem to have been bought for reselling!

The not-catching-up console sales was to be expected, of course, but the similarly-low tie-in is more of a poor showing. The game selection is indeed low right now, but you'd still expect more out there.

There may be a number of folk waiting to purchase certain games online through their network, though, so we'll have to see if that was affecting direct sales when--and if--we see the numbers for it.

The not-catching-up console sales was to be expected, of course, but the similarly-low tie-in is more of a poor showing. The game selection is indeed low right now, but you'd still expect more out there.
Another possible factor is the free content online from the get go. Aren't there a couple of freebies and demos etc. for download? How did Live! compare on XB360's launch?

Another factor could be those who bought PS3 for BluRay, and an eye should be cast at BRD sales to see if they've shown a peak.

- 1 ) there are only 5 launchgames in japan
- 2 ) half of them are on ebay i guess :cool:

Wait, only FIVE?!! :oops: I know we were getting a bunch more by next week, and usually think Japan has more... Had more affect than I thought, then. Heh.

Absolutely. Sony should be ashamed of themselves for only selling 80000 units of the 80000 available in one weekend, and not being able to sell more than their competitors have sold in one year.

Wouldn't be surprised if like 20-25k of those units were put up for auction (and thus are helping to skew the tie ratios). If that's the case, you'll see game sales even out a bit over the next couple weeks as the auctions end and people get the units -- most of the auctioneers likely won't be buying games.

Wait, only FIVE?!! :oops: I know we were getting a bunch more by next week, and usually think Japan has more... Had more affect than I thought, then. Heh.

yes 5! i was shocked also :)

RR7
Resistance
GENJI2 (or whatever it is..)
SEGA GOLF CLUB PS2 quickportah PS3
and something something i forgot

Actually let me rephrase that.

Sony should be ashamed of themselves for only being able to manufacture 500000 machines with a completely new cutom made CPU architecture, a not-so-cheap GPU, XDR and GDDR3 memory, a standard hard drive, an optical drive capable of reading any disc format ever made except DVDA, including next generation optical media such as Bluray, the PS2 CPU and GPU, bluetooth support, wi-fi, multi-card reader, multi-video out and HDMI, optical sound output, controllers with motion sensing, an OS which is actually pretty good which can play the majority of media format out today easily, including 1080p MPEG4 videos and god knows what other features, Linux support... at a price that is 100-150 dollars above the competitors which have been out for a year, with half the hardware features available for it.

Shame on you Sony, what kind of electronics giant are you!

Sony should be ashamed of themselves for only being able to manufacture 500000 machines with a completely new cutom made CPU architecture, a not-so-cheap GPU, XDR and GDDR3 memory, a standard hard drive, an optical drive capable of reading any disc format ever made except DVDA, including next generation optical media such as Bluray, the PS2 CPU and GPU, bluetooth support, wi-fi, multi-card reader, multi-video out and HDMI, optical sound output, controllers with motion sensing, an OS which is actually pretty good which can play the majority of media format out today easily, including 1080p MPEG4 videos and god knows what other features, Linux support... at a price that is 100-150 dollars above the competitors which have been out for a year, with half the hardware features available for it.

You just made a new friend :LOL:

Better late than never...:cool:

It should have also had G80, if you don't believe me ask babcat.

j/k:smile:

On a sidenote I thought Hardknock basically was joking with this thread, but humour wasn't appreciated as everybody shot the humour in the head with a shotgun!

How is that accurate? Because they've sold less hardware? Or less software? Having been on sale for a couple of days (1 day by the time they'd sold out!) versus a whole year?! Okay, so those comments are accurate, but they're mind-numbingly obvious things to say!

As for software, I'm not surprised tie ratios are low seeing as half the machines seem to have been bought for reselling!

Wow, if you weren't so busy being the uber Sony defender you might have read the article and realized just how tounge-in-cheek it was.

While I was laughing at the absurdity, you were taking it all way too seriously. Time to relax Shifty, not everyone is as Sony sensative as you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, if you weren't so busy being the uber Sony defender you might have read the article and realized just how tounge-in-cheek it was.

While I was laughing at the absurdity, you were taking it all way too seriously. Time to relax Shifty, not everyone is as Sony sensative as you.

I would not necessarily characterize shifty as a Sony defender... by any stretch exactly...

On a sidenote I thought Hardknock basically was joking with this thread, but humour wasn't appreciated as everybody shot the humour in the head with a shotgun!

Oh i know he didn't post it to prove a point, he's better than that, but more to take the micky out of whoever wrote the article, i just thought i'd add to the nonsense :devilish:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back