Microsoft Covering up a Huge Mistake?

D3v0ur3r

Regular
Hello. I spotted this news post over @ W2S http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=30556

I read the 1st & last page of the now current 15 page thread & I am a little worried. http://forums.xbox.com/1/7864073/ShowPost.aspx#7864073 I can't access the page now as it wants me to register.

Anyway. I just bought a Xbox 360 for my boys for Xmas. Best buy didn't offer me an extended warranty of which I plan to call them today & ask if I can purchase it. I just bought it yesterday & of course its not opened so I can return it if they do not want to give me an extended warranty.

So here is the question. Has many people here had the multiple freezes & 360 death since the fall update?

Hello. I spotted this news post over @ W2S http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=30556

I read the 1st & last page of the now current 15 page thread & I am a little worried. http://forums.xbox.com/1/7864073/ShowPost.aspx#7864073 I can't access the page now as it wants me to register.

Anyway. I just bought a Xbox 360 for my boys for Xmas. Best buy didn't offer me an extended warranty of which I plan to call them today & ask if I can purchase it. I just bought it yesterday & of course its not opened so I can return it if they do not want to give me an extended warranty.

So here is the question. Has many people here had the multiple freezes & 360 death since the fall update?

Don't worry about that. Make sure you install the Previous Updates first then the Fall one.
(You need to have all updates for the Fall update to work)

BUT

Last time i checked they were fixing bugs on the Update, so factory new machines won't crash anymore after the Update.
Which should be availible already.
Edit: ^^22psi

indeed. you just receive a message that it needs to install an update. (wich you can accept or refuse)

I've had no problems at all with my 360's, other than the launch day system being too loud. The new one has that problem fixed though.

I don't know how units nowadays are going. My first 360 (which I bought in April) died about 2 weeks ago (hard disk failure... removed the hard drive, red ring of death...). Fortunately I had a warranty. I'd recommend it, but I also don't know if things are better now than they were from 360's 6 months ago. I know plenty of people who are on their 2nd and a few on their third, but also plenty who are on their first.

My 360 was manufactured in February 2006. It's a little loud (I think it's the disk drive), but other than that, it works flawlessly. I wouldn't worry about it. Nevertheless, and extended warranty for something like this is usually a good idea.

My 360 was manufactured in February 2006. It's a little loud (I think it's the disk drive), but other than that, it works flawlessly. I wouldn't worry about it. Nevertheless, and extended warranty for something like this is usually a good idea.

I recently swapped my launch day system for a new one just because of the noise. The new ones are so much quieter it's unbelievable. First time I turned it on I didn't have the TV or stereo switched over to the 360 yet, and stopped and stared at the 360 expecting to see 3 red lights because I couldn't even hear the fans.

But nope, it's just very quiet. Even during heavy gaming it's only about 1/4th the volume of my launch day system.

I recently swapped my launch day system for a new one just because of the noise. The new ones are so much quieter it's unbelievable. First time I turned it on I didn't have the TV or stereo switched over to the 360 yet, and stopped and stared at the 360 expecting to see 3 red lights because I couldn't even hear the fans.

But nope, it's just very quiet. Even during heavy gaming it's only about 1/4th the volume of my launch day system.

Lucky you...Mine and my nephew 360's (got it 1st week of xmas 05) have been running flawlessly, well except for the noise. Even during the hot summer (no AC) with temperature in 100's, still haven't had any problem, other than the noise.

I'm really temped in getting a new one, consider Micro Center is offering $100 rebate. Now, the new 360 is it quiet during games when the dvd spin or in the dash board and movie? I mean I can live with the noise level during the dashboard and movie, it just when the game starts, the dvd drive kicks into high gear and damn, it's loud.

Is there anything else I could do other than investing in a new 360? Like adding some sort of sound insulator to the dvd drive?

I have mine (horizontally) in an entertainment center with a glass door, so I don't really notice the sound during gameplay. If I specifically focus on it and listen for it, I can hear the noise. But it doesn't really bother me. The loudest noise does sound like the DVD drive, but the fans are definitely audible too. It really kicks out a lot of hot air, so I guess the thermal management system is doing its job.

I bought a 2 year warranty, so if it starts acting up I'll replace it. But for now, I'm fine with it. I played Gears for several hours straight this past weekend, and had no problems at all. I don't think it's possible to stress test it more than that.

The problem with warranty replacements is MS can and does send people refurb units. Many many bricked XB360s are dead because of shoddy manufacturing and a bad thermal design. MS uses solder that is prone to cracking after constant heating/reheating. If you've got the 3 lights of death, and the error code is 0102, kazaam, say hello to most likely, bad solder joins on the RAM or core logic chipset. Which is why, ta-da, the HEAT GUN approach works to fix (albeit temporarily) bricked XBOX360s.

Of course, MS will take 0102 Bricked 360s, repair the solder joints, and send them out to other unlucky suckers. Then weeks or months later, they might get hit with the same problem.

I think MS knows it has a potentially huge problem on its hands, but is hoping it will blow over, since recalling and repairing all the units properly would be a tremendous cost. I shudder to think what the long term problems will be for the PS3, with an even more rushed and chaotic launch.

Next-gen consoles have taken a step up in performance, but a step back in quality of manufacturing. I wonder if any XB360 or PS3 manufactured in the first year will last as long as an N64, PS1, etc.

Of course, MS will take 0102 Bricked 360s, repair the solder joints, and send them out to other unlucky suckers. Then weeks or months later, they might get hit with the same problem.

Yeah. This is a really bad thing. Those refurbs are going down in no time...

They should be using those things for internal purposes, and not sending them out again.

Lucky you...Mine and my nephew 360's (got it 1st week of xmas 05) have been running flawlessly, well except for the noise. Even during the hot summer (no AC) with temperature in 100's, still haven't had any problem, other than the noise.

I'm really temped in getting a new one, consider Micro Center is offering $100 rebate. Now, the new 360 is it quiet during games when the dvd spin or in the dash board and movie? I mean I can live with the noise level during the dashboard and movie, it just when the game starts, the dvd drive kicks into high gear and damn, it's loud.

Is there anything else I could do other than investing in a new 360? Like adding some sort of sound insulator to the dvd drive?

It's nearly silent in the dashboard or while playing a DVD movie. In games it's only a fraction of the volume of my previous system. It gets a little louder, but no where near the level my previous system was producing. It's quiet enough during gameplay that I can hear my cat snoring from across the room.

I still havnt received my refund for the cost to repair my xbox 360 (for the people that had the first batches before January I think). Im happy with my unit now but when calling about this refund I keep hearing "4-6 weeks you should get it. MS has you in the data base for the refund."

Yeh right. Lucky I have some good games right now or I would be calling them more often then I am now. Although at this point Im getting pretty fed up with the check is in the mail PR talk that Im getting from them, the chainsaw bayounet seems to help me with the stress some :)

Next-gen consoles have taken a step up in performance, but a step back in quality of manufacturing. I wonder if any XB360 or PS3 manufactured in the first year will last as long as an N64, PS1, etc.

So true.

I think it already started last gen though. I went through two PS2s and 2 XBOXen. I still have my original PS1, and it still works, although I have to turn it upside down after inserting a game CD to get it to read it. To be fair the PS1 has only be turned on a handful of times in the past 5 years.

I'm hoping once the initial rush to grab market share calms down and Sony and MS goes into cost-control mode that they will start producing longer lasting units. RMAing is expensive for all parties involved (and a PITA).

Cheers

Back