Activision's 360 games not running in full 720p?

so did we scare him off by revealing his work? ;)
I assumed that he gave an obvious hint because he didn't mind being somewhat forward about the project. I thought that was the joke at least--but Cal, please PM me if you'd like me to remove my even more obvious reply :)

:p Just teasin

I assumed that he gave an obvious hint because he didn't mind being somewhat forward about the project. I thought that was the joke at least--but Cal, please PM me if you'd like me to remove my even more obvious reply :)

I was jokin' too!

Some do. Sparks and bullet traces for example. Larger particle effects, or rather, soft particles without distinct edges, no matter what the size, don't and should probably be rendered at something like 1/4 resolution and upscaled when compositing.

Is the AA programmable like that :?:

Shifty Geezer said:
Do you mean with AA on the particles? Or combining AA on opaque scene rendering with lots of particles?
AA on lots of particles.

zed said:
surely u turn off AA when u do particles (mainly cause particles dont have edges )
With automatic predicated tiling, you can't change a render target during it. Actually, anything other than rendering into the main framebuffer must be done outside of tiling including generating shadow maps. Of course one can do the tiling stuff manually, i.e. rendering the entire scene into three 1280x240 buffers one by one and control the render target as you wish, but in this case you have to deal with alot of stuffs like texture coordinate recalculating.

Shifty Geezer said:
Some do. Sparks and bullet traces for example. Larger particle effects, or rather, soft particles without distinct edges, no matter what the size, don't and should probably be rendered at something like 1/4 resolution and upscaled when compositing.
We did that too (1/4 buffer). It seems like Capcom's FrameWork engine has a better way to handle this via a so called "MSAA mini buffer". I think they just render all particles into a quarter sized buffer and resolve it without down sampling.

mrboo said:
Infact can any 360 games support 720p+4xMSAA without tiling?
4xMSAA@720p means 1280*720*4*4*2 = 29,491,200, that's three tiles for 10M EDRAM. Unless someone employs an equivalent 4x edge AA algorithm, tiling must be involved on X360.

groper said:
The game has the same (and some times worse) framerate issues when it runs in a X1900XT , so i cant see how tiling can be the limitative factor here.
IMO it has more to do with the use of UE2.0 on steroids wich is not the best solution for the console performance wise. I just hope that for their 5th game they will build a new engine who will take advantage of the overall hardware architecture.
I didn't work on the PC version so I can't tell where exactly the bottleneck is in that one. As far as I know, the PC version was rushed out because originally there was no plan to release it on PC until very late.
The franchise is based on a revamped UE2.5 version. During the 3rd one, the entire rendering part and some parts of script interpreter were rewritten. The 4th one also rewrote the framework to fit in multi-threading and math library to utilize VMX instructions. As for UE3.0, it's not that good on multi-threading too until very very late, according to some microsoft staffs. :)

As for UE3.0, it's not that good on multi-threading too until very very late, according to some microsoft staffs. :)

Yeah Mistwalker and Feel+ still didn't have the multithreaded render in the demo they just released. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason for the poor frame rate in the Too Human demo. Now that Gears is out and proven I think devs will feel better about using the engine for Xbox 360 games.

So back to topic, what's the benfit from using a lowered resolution and avoiding some tiles (3 vs 2?). Or in other words, how much performance can be gained by that, or how much performance does tiling really cost?

So back to topic, what's the benfit from using a lowered resolution and avoiding some tiles (3 vs 2?). Or in other words, how much performance can be gained by that, or how much performance does tiling really cost?

I don't think it is so much performance, as Cal said it does not take that much, but i do think that it is still the fact that predicated tiling hasn't been available for very long and that many engines still are not utilizing it and will have to either be rewriten or built from the ground up for it, so I think it will take quite sme time until most games se it, if ever...

with long thin particles youre best doing the AA yourself in the shader, a much better result than 4xAA, though prolly not worth it since the particles are usually moving fast
but yes rendering most particles to a smaller buffer is a good idea, its what i do in my game (cause particles can be a real killer fillwise)

... i do think that it is still the fact that predicated tiling hasn't been available for very long and that many engines still are not utilizing it and will have to either be rewriten or built from the ground up for it, so I think it will take quite sme time until most games se it, if ever...

Sure.

Expect first parties to show it first. Viva Pinata (the screens look very good)? Forza 2, Halo 3, etc...

So is the PS3 rev of this game <720P or do we not know?

Gamespot's review compares the two versions:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/tonyhawksproject8/review.html?sid=6161341&tag=topslot;action;2

Unfortunately, some technical glitches and unstable frame rates plague both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 version of the game.
Those frame-rate problems hit the PlayStation 3 version of the game significantly harder than the Xbox 360. Other than the choppy frame rate and slightly sharper graphics on the PlayStation 3, some of which is only noticeable when using an HDMI cable on a high-end HDTV, the games look roughly the same.

So, might the "slightly sharper graphics" be because of true 720? And if so, is it worth the apparant frame rate tradeoff?
________
Balloon assembly vapor tower

Last edited by a moderator:
And if so, is it worth the apparant frame rate tradeoff?

I would say 'no' if it's only slightly better and 'only noticeable when using an HDMI cable on a high-end HDTV'.

This means most of us won't be able to tell the difference anyway. And I'm not even talking about the normal people (mass market) here. ;)

Edit - this is more or less confirmed in other reviews, since I couldn't find other sites complaining on this (BTW most seem to like the 360 version better for other reasons).

'Nitpicking' is the technical description for this subject I'd say. :p

cal said:
The franchise is based on a revamped UE2.5 version. During the 3rd one, the entire rendering part and some parts of script interpreter were rewritten. The 4th one also rewrote the framework to fit in multi-threading and math library to utilize VMX instructions.
In other words it is what many people call unreal 2.0 on steroids :)
Anyways i don't think that any kind of tweeking is able to convert an old pc engine into efficient next-gen engine and i suppose that this is the principal reason for the weak performance of this game.
As for UE3.0, it's not that good on multi-threading too until very very late, according to some microsoft staffs.
I just hope that this major delay is caused mostly from the perfectionism of Epic and their persistence to make their multi-threaded code as efficient as possible. I think that even GoW is affected from this delay. CliffyB said that if they make a second part there will be much more room for improvements to AI , Physics and lighting...

Dont we already have threads for these games? Why is this thread not locked?

So in a thread about the gameplay of the game we should just out of nowhere bring up its resolution? That makes no sense if you ask me. The thread is useless, but not for the reason you're trying to suggest.

So in a thread about the gameplay of the game we should just out of nowhere bring up its resolution? That makes no sense if you ask me. The thread is useless, but not for the reason you're trying to suggest.

Uhh, game threads are clearly not just about gameplay.
________
Volcano vaporizer

Back