DIY VGA cable for PS3 using CAT5e cable

Andy

Newcomer
You will need:

A basic understanding of electronics and how to solder
A PS2/PS3 Component cable (pick them up cheap < $10)
Access to a soldering iron and solder
CAT5e Ethernet cable, let's say 1-2metres
3x female RCA connectors
1x Male VGA connector

Follow this guide:
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

The only difference there, is you'll be using female RCA connectors instead of male connectors.

Once you are done simply plug your PS2/3 Component cable into your newly created component to VGA cable, and Voila! Bob's your Auntie.

Disclaimer: I havent tested this myself (as I don't have a PS3 yet.), but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work. I'll make one and let you know.

Maybe there is another way.

For PS2 there is a VGA adapter. It's part of the linux kit:

vgaa01.jpg

The VGA adapter isn't just only working for linux. Progressive-scan capable PS2 games are displayable with it too, if your VGA display is able to handle sync-on-green.

The VGA adapter is unfortunately not available separately. I even talked to Sarah Ewen from SCEE, no chance. Since I wasn't interested in the whole linux kit, I did some research and found out that the VGA adapter is pretty simble:

PS2 (Multi AV) 1 to VGA (D-SUB15) 2 Green(Sync)
PS2 (Multi AV) 2 to VGA (D-SUB15) 1 Red
PS2 (Multi AV) 4 to VGA (D-SUB15) 3 Blue
PS2 (Multi AV) 5/10/12 to VGA (D-SUB15) 4/6/7/8/10/15 GND

pin_avm.gif
pin_vga.gif

I simply modified a cheap RGB cable by removing the scart and adding a D-SUB15 plug with the pin assignment from above. It worked.

It's a bit tricky to switch the PS2 game blindly to pro-scan though. The PS3 on the other hand can be set to fixed 480P, 720P, etc ... the question is, if PS3 will also output RGB/31KHz/sync-on-green (aka VGA) while set to component output. It would be neat, but somehow I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit you beat me too it Cryz. ;)

After cyberheaters post I thought why wouldnt it work? Then I found out why later, and the only reason this cable would work at all is if you had a projector, or a monitor that accepted both Component and VGA inputs.

So then I remembered back to PS1, I saw an Imported PS1 Multi-out to RGB SCART. I found one such cable today on ebay for just under 1 British Pound (plus about 4 pounds shipping). Remembering RGB and VGA (HD15) are very similar (technology wise not in looks), then the VGA cable that comes with the PS2 Linux kit must do something similar, I could then get a female RGB SCART to VGA cable and connect it to the PS2 Multi-out to RGB SCART Cable.

I then thought this is the more expensive option I could take it one step further. I found an old 3rd party composite cable, I found a site with the pinouts for the PS2 Multi-out, and that I need some capacitors and an IC to put in to make this all work.

As soon as I've got some free time I'll let you all know, I think the most expensive part would be the original Composite cable. I believe I can build this for around $15AUD. I thought about such a project for a while when I realised I might not have an HDTV for a while but still wanted to play PS3 games at a higher res. than 480p. I thought I could probably use my 19" BENQ Monitor for the time being if I had the right cables to do so.

wouldn't it still be kinda useless if they do not give options in the setting to set the resolution, wouldn't be of much use if it defaults to 640x480 and you are using a 19" lcd

as hard as they have been pushing "PS3 is a Computer" something like this should be standard, even if only for use under linux

The monitor is a 19" BenQ LCD, with a resolution of 1280x1024. As you may or may not know, the resolution of 720p is 1280x720 meaning if should fit quite nicely, if I enable that resolution in PS3 XMB.

The monitor is a 19" BenQ LCD, with a resolution of 1280x1024. As you may or may not know, the resolution of 720p is 1280x720 meaning if should fit quite nicely, if I enable that resolution in PS3 XMB.

well that's great for the people with monitors that accept that resolution, I would be willing to bet most people are not in the same situation

an if you are going to be limited to only the HD resolutions, it may be better to find a monitor or TV with hdmi

Back