PS3 HDD replacing/upgradeing

mrboo

Regular
Its official you CAN replace PS3s HDD with a SATA HDD of YOUR choice and Size. And by the looks of things PS3 automatically detects the new drive and formats it :)

Link here Translater needed :)

A few shot's

69030_2.jpg

69030_5.jpg

This last picture shows both 120gig and 97 gig, i asume that the 120gig size is the actual memory on the HDD and the 97gig is the useable memory after formatting?

69030_10.jpg

I don't know if 'official' is the right word...

It's been official for quite some time now. ;)

Its official you CAN replace PS3s HDD with a SATA HDD of YOUR choice and Size. And by the looks of things PS3 automatically detects the new drive and formats it :)

Link here Translater needed :)

A few shot's

69030_2.jpg

69030_5.jpg

This last picture shows both 120gig and 97 gig, i asume that the 120gig size is the actual memory on the HDD and the 97gig is the useable memory after formatting?

69030_10.jpg
probably after partitioning the HDD into PS3 usable and Linux usable areas

thats never been in doubt, the question is wether it voids the warranty

It shoud'nt do as Sony have said it can be done, now if there were'nt ahppy about it they just could of said "no" and the fact that PS3 formatts it for you meens that Sony are expecting it to be changed by some consumers.

EDIT : Its tells you in the manual how to change the HDD so i dout it affects the warreny in any way :)

http://wktk.vip2ch.com/vipper14919.jpg

http://wktk.vip2ch.com/vipper14920.jpg

http://wktk.vip2ch.com/vipper14921.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How can it void your warranty if it's a feature of the machine. What next, playing blu-ray movies also voids the warranty? Maybe certain PS3 games too :LOL:

Even if it did (which it won't), all you need to do is replace the HDD before sending it back to Sony.

How can it void your warranty if it's a feature of the machine. What next, playing blu-ray movies also voids the warranty? Maybe certain PS3 games too :LOL:

Even if it did (which it won't), all you need to do is replace the HDD before sending it back to Sony.

It's the same as motherboards that allow overclocking; they support this feature, are sold on this feature, but using it will void your warranty.

It's really not unusual when you think about it... it's a 'user beware' environment, and shields the hardware manufacturers from liability arising from people who don't know what they're doing screwing it up and then saying to the manufacturer, 'but this was supposed to work!'

Any info on moving saves and other content from the original HDD to a new one? Will there be any restrictions?

I'm curious how much of an affect one of the higher end 2.5" HDDs would have (7200rpm + large cache) on load times of games that use the HDD -- hopefully we see some tests in the future.

Would be nice if there was some peripheral that allowed you to plug in a raid array of HDDs instead of just one! If it wants to be a media center of any sort, it's gotta have a healthy sized HDD (or access to networked storage at least -- come on full DLNA support!).

I'm curious how much of an affect one of the higher end 2.5" HDDs would have (7200rpm + large cache) on load times of games that use the HDD -- hopefully we see some tests in the future.

Would be nice if there was some peripheral that allowed you to plug in a raid array of HDDs instead of just one! If it wants to be a media center of any sort, it's gotta have a healthy sized HDD (or access to networked storage at least -- come on full DLNA support!).

PS3 can also use USB2.0 external HDD's ;)

I think "void your warranty" is being used far too loosely here, just as it is with cars. If you replace a part on your car, lets say the head unit, does it void your warranty? Yes, and no. The HU you added will not be covered by the car manufacturer, as they have no control over the quality of that device (its covered by the manufacturer of the HU). However, the rest of the car, under normal circumstances, is still covered. Except in the case that the part you added caused something else to fail (eg the HU fried the wiring harness). I would think the same concept applies here, if you replace the HDD, and the optical drive dies, that will likely be covered by SCE's warranty. If you replace the HDD, and your save games and downloads start corrupting, no, that will probably not be covered as it would have been with the OEM HDD. However, the manufacturer of the drive should replace the drive under their own warranty coverage.

Any info on moving saves and other content from the original HDD to a new one? Will there be any restrictions?

Yeah, video is covered here:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/copy.html

There doesn't seem to be a totally convenient way of copying your content to the new HDD but that was always going to be difficult when there's only one HDD bay and limited storage options. So it would probably make the most sense to get an external 2.5" HDD enclosure and connect your old HDD that way back to the PS3 and move the movies over to the newly installed HDD. Either that or do it the slow way with Memory Sticks.

There do seem to be some DRM restrictions, so that might be a bit of a difficulty only being able to move content to Memory Sticks (since external HDDs are seen as 'storage media').

Similar story for save data:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/game/copysavedata.html

They say there may be some data that isn't allowed to be copied (doesn't say that they can't be imported though), but the execution is just the same as video content.

Holy bump, Batman! Thought I'd save the server some grief by not posting a new thread.

What are the general recommendations/rules for PS3 HDD replacement? My PS3 is chugging in a number of games lately, as well as having frequent short freezes on the XMB when scrolling between items. The HDD light tends to be on a lot of the time during these scenes. I figure a new HDD is a good place to start testing.

So far I've read that 7200RPM doesn't really add a lot of value. I've also read that a number of 500gb drives don't actually fit into the PS3. What specific models/best bang-for-buck drives are you guys upgrading to?

i noticed that my 7200 rpm 320gb western digital hdd takes no where near as long to install games as people say they do when reviewing games.

Back