Call Of Duty 3 - Reviews

I still remember the deabte i had a few weeks ago with some people who were certain that the ps3 version would "look better" than the 360 one,using ancient PR talk as evidence.It seems that once again i was right and the 360 version is the better looking and better playing one for some reason unknown to anyone but the developers themselves.

Fixed.;) Keep it even in the future... its just one game one time.

But i wasn't debating the "reasons",i was just saying that it was obvious that COD3 would be much better on the 360 and it is(8.8 vs.8.2).Oh and it is a bit ridiculous how some people were talking about the ps3 version having 360+ graphics or how "MS is in trouble" because Kotaku rated COD3's graphics better than GOW's graphics since "the ps3 version will look even better".

Anyway CoD3 looks phenomenal.Treyarch performed a miracle,IMO.The opening mission approaches the CGI that activision used in the first trailer of this game.This game makes me feel that in 2 years' time we'll be seeing fps approaching killzone's CGI graphics.

Right now COD3 is the second best looking game on the 360 and having plaed both GoW and CoD3 one after another ,it feelas like the xbox360 is a new console.

Last edited by a moderator:
But i wasn't debating the "reasons",i was just saying that it was obvious that COD3 would be much better on the 360 and it is(8.8 vs.8.2).Oh and it is a bit ridiculous how some people were talking about the ps3 version having 360+ graphics or how "MS is in trouble" because Kotaku rated COD3's graphics better than GOW's graphics since "the ps3 version will look even better".

Anyway CoD3 looks phenomenal.Treyarch performed a miracle,IMO.The opening mission approaches the CGI that activision used in the first trailer of this game.This game makes me feel that in 2 years' time we'll be seeing fps approaching killzone's CGI graphics.

Right now COD3 is the second best looking game on the 360 and having plaed both GoW and CoD3 one after another ,it feelas like the xbox360 is a new console.

I understand your need to comment as a counter to the PS3 fanguy predictions... A few weeks ago I had a run in with a clerk at a Gamestop in Bethesda who openly predicted that every multiplatform game would look better on PS3 than X360... you just don't have to counter that here in these forums. There may some who believe as the clerk does. There may others who agree with you... but basically that is not a salient or particularly productive debate for either side to undertake... I am glad you really enjoying your 360. I am too.

Well maybe they should have lowered the resolution on PS3 as well to make it run flawlessly ;) (J/K)

I really hope they release a patch for this stuttering issue, because other than that the graphics are great. Lets wait until some reviewers go more into detail in graphical differences before judging this from one review...

fulcizombie, I'm the one who says
MS is in trouble" because Kotaku rated COD3's graphics better than GOW's graphics since "the ps3 version will look even better".
not exactly that way but it's not the point.
My post was somewhat provocative (and no really serious) and it was also expressing some of my (fear)...
I do have more interest in xbox than in the ps3 for :
games
content
connectivity with pc
MS has proove they can deliver, for what I see now Sony as still a long road to go throught.

But you know sometime, all the pr and fan boy talk (even here...) coming from sony's camp can have an influence on your thinking.
I think more and more in buying a 360, for me it's expensive i want the thing to be good and perene.

Anyway,I still don't think that cod3 is a proof of x>y, but it's cool to have some proof the box is real good design.

Well maybe they should have lowered the resolution on PS3 as well to make it run flawlessly ;) (J/K)

I really hope they release a patch for this stuttering issue, because other than that the graphics are great. Lets wait until some reviewers go more into detail in graphical differences before judging this from one review...
hs
The interestying point is not bashing MS and its design choices (edram) but that the scaler in the xbox 360 is fucking good... What the point in some case to focus on resolution vs fps when some trickery can not be detect during gameplay even by experimented reviewers.
xbox can output in all resolutions now (scaled), and the only interesting point for gamers is that the trick is good enought. If i will buy in the future a hdtv 1080P I will feel confident in the 360 to deliver good IQ even if it's all fake or trick.

It has not to do with a patch or a specific game or reviewer. It seems that quite a few multiplatform games have framerate issues to ps3.
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance scores lower for PS3 (7.9 overall and 6.5 graphics ) and it has also framerate issues.

It has not to do with a patch or a specific game or reviewer. It seems that quite a few multiplatform games have framerate issues to ps3.
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance scores lower for PS3 (7.9 overall and 6.5 graphics ) and it has also framerate issues.

Whoa.... I hadnt followed up on that game since i read the story of some grpahical trick that wasnt in the x360 version. I bought it for 360 anyway and I love it! Some levels are beautiful!

Follow up on the multiplayer here. Loving the 24/24 action and classes but I they do need to make some changes IMO.

Spawn Points. When will developers realize if you have a game with snipers please use random spawn spots on the whole map not just predetermined areas they can key in on. (Not to mention the artillery strike they can use on spawn points as well).

Medics: I know you need to get to a fallen comrad fast but 5 sec on maps this big? No wonder I see few if any medics in game. They need to help this class a little.

The way they have load outs for grenades for certain classes is a little strange as well. If the class has Assault in the name they need a frag grenade and then whatever other type for secondary. I believe the light assault has smoke greande and no frag type grenade in load out. (Mine?)

These are minor gripes but I think overall MP is top notch (framerate and graphics are great) and the sprint function was a great addition. Definately a great addition to the franchise.

...and enhanced graphics you forgot ;)

Oh, and just for argument's sake, we popped in the 360 version of Ultimate Alliance to compare and we have to say... the PS3 edition just isn't as polished. Comparatively, there's a lot more framerate stutter with our game compared to theirs (expect hiccups when turning the camera in highly-populated areas) and the colors are deeper and seem to be in better contrast with the 360. At least Sony owners can take solace in knowing that in 1080p, their game's textures certainly look better, and that regardless of resolution, Ultimate Alliance has better bloom lighting and more particles on PS3.

Still, alot of reviewers bother framerate stuttering issues, no real slowdowns. So possibly this is something not really game related, but maybe it'S related to the overall system and might be fixed by a firmware update?

...and enhanced graphics you forgot ;)
Nope i didnt forget it. They make clear that despite the enhanced particles and bloom the game is graphically inferior (6.5 vs 7.5 for graphics) and the situation is starting to become dejavu after watching the NFS:CARBON review (7.0 for graphics and 8.5 for 360) and Tiger Woods PGA (graphics:7.5 vs 8.5 for 360)

ouch, they should have delayed this version

7.5 Graphics
Washed out colors, multiple collision issues, and a highly inconsistent framerate hurt what was a very good looking Xbox 360 game. Even so, its particles are great and there's a lot going on.

7.5 Gameplay
One of the better shooting engines around and well-balanced multiplayer get overshadowed by glitches that halt progress for no reason and little challenge on all but the highest difficulty settings.

Liking this game. To be honest so far enjoying it far more than Gears.

The graphics, while not so insane as Gears in some ways, are dazzling in their own right. When a cutscene with 20+ amazingly lit soldiers charges a hill and suddenly changes in realtime into gameplay, it's very impressive.

Guess I just enjoy the COD formula of gameplay...
________
Live sex webshows

Honestly this game is being ignored from some when it comes to graphical achievements.The game goes from great looking to breathtaking ,depending on the level.Espessially the town levels are jaw-dropping from the building architecture and texturing to the debris caused by the wind to the huge number of enemies on screen to the amasing looking explosions to the animation.Add 4xAA to all this and a phenomenal IQ(maybe the cleanest xbox360 game) and you have a true winner.

I think that if this game was exclusive ,its visual quality would be praised more.It can definately hold its own against GoW,even by doing different stuff.

For me it is the 2nd best looking game on the xbox360 right now and pssibly the best looking fps anywhere(though i haven't seen resistance in person).

Honestly this game is being ignored from some when it comes to graphical achievements.The game goes from great looking to breathtaking ,depending on the level.Espessially the town levels are jaw-dropping from the building architecture and texturing to the debris caused by the wind to the huge number of enemies on screen to the amasing looking explosions to the animation.Add 4xAA to all this and a phenomenal IQ(maybe the cleanest xbox360 game) and you have a true winner.

I think that if this game was exclusive ,its visual quality would be praised more.It can definately hold its own against GoW,even by doing different stuff.

For me it is the 2nd best looking game on the xbox360 right now and pssibly the best looking fps anywhere(though i haven't seen resistance in person).

I agree and thing the only thing wrong with COD3 was they got a launch date tooo close to GOW. Had this lucnhed earlier or later then we would have heard a lot more about it...

Add 4xAA to all this and a phenomenal IQ(maybe the cleanest xbox360 game) and you have a true winner.
Is it 4xAA? I haven't seen the game ad from the "Activision's 360 games not running in full 720p?" thread I got the impression they were using a smaller framebuffer simply to get 2xAA without tiling.

Oh sorry,i put the 4xAA as a guess based on the IQ and the ammount of AA that the game seems to have.there's not a single jaggie on site,not one despite having some backgrounds objects that are easy easy to spot jaggies on them(like trees).

Oh and i don't believe that the game doesn't run on 720p.If it doesn't it does an amasing job hiding its lower res cause the game looks very crisp and high res.

Oh sorry,i put the 4xAA as a guess based on the IQ and the ammount of AA that the game seems to have.there's not a single jaggie on site,not one despite having some backgrounds objects that are easy easy to spot jaggies on them(like trees).
So there's not a single jaggie on sight...except when there is? Gotcha. :)

I saw quite a few jaggies in the game when I played it at my local Future Shop.
Oh and i don't believe that the game doesn't run on 720p.If it doesn't it does an amasing job hiding its lower res cause the game looks very crisp and high res.
I can believe it. Frankly I thought COD2 looked better. The level I played was 30fps and below, except when there were no enemies present. Wasn't that impressed at all really.

Back