Nintendo's Wii to boast 62 titles by year's end

OICAspork

Newcomer
I was really amazed to see that title then I remembered the virtual console. So there will be 32 new games and 30 classics released by the end of this year. That sounds fantastic to me. I'm really itching to see what classics will launch with the system. I'm looking to buy some old Nintendo classics as well as Sega games I missed back in the day. For that matter, how was Bonk? Did anyone have a Turbo Graphics 16? I think that is a launch title as well. I don't remember being impressed with the commercials back then, but that doesn't mean the game wasn't good.

Too bad the article doesn't list all the game titles, but I'm sure we'll know them all within a couple of weeks.

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-6131330.html?part=rss&tag=6131330&subj=news

62 titles!! Thats a lot!

Wii's low cost in game development seems to give an advandage. I hope devs dont overdo it with rehashed games with just different controls though because they are missing a great opportunity to offer something greatly unique.

Btw does this mean Wii might have very cheap games if dev cost is low? If this is the case I am expecting Wii to fly in sales in Japan and not only :)

It will be just like what Kojima stated. Wii will be a low cost everyday meal for everyone to enjoy. Fun and cheap ready for everyone to entertain theirselves. :)

62 titles!! Thats a lot!

Wii's low cost in game development seems to give an advandage. I hope devs dont overdo it with rehashed games with just different controls though because they are missing a great opportunity to offer something greatly unique.

Rephrase: I like low cost game development on the Wii. I wish the developers don't like it, though, and I wish they make development expensive.

WTF?

30 classics? What classics? Anything to do with backward compatibility?

If so, PS3 will have thousands of titles, hundreds of which are "classics", available from day one, in the form of PS1 and PS2 games.

I think they mean available to buy (again). In that vein, PS3 is only going to have a handful of Classics (PS1 games) to begin with. (though number of games is as a stupid a metric as FLOPS, if not worse, as it doesn't tell you what those games are. 5000 games from the 1980s, versus 100 games from 2006+...I know which I'd prefer!)

IGN has the complete list here

The 62 titles are comprised of the buyable Wii titles+ VC games.

Virtual Console games:
NES

* Mario Bros.
* The Legend of Zelda
* Donkey Kong
* Donkey Kong Jr.
* Ice Hockey
* Pinball
* Soccer
* Tennis
* Urban Champion
* Wario's Woods
* Baseball
* Solomon's Key

Super NES

* F-Zero
* SimCity

Nintendo 64

* Super Mario 64

SEGA Genesis

* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Altered Beast
* Golden Axe
* Columns
* Ecco the Dolphin
* Gunstar Heroes
* Space Harrier II
* Toe Jam & Earl
* Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

TurboGrafx-16

* Bonk's Adventure
* Super Star Soldier
* Victory Run
* Bomberman '93
* Dungeon Explorer

It's nice to list them, but I'm not sure you can ever list "game repeats" like that without willingly just shrugging and including all the games you're backwards-compatible with to the list and fill it out to the hundreds! :p

Of course that tactic has been used before, so now all the players float up their numbers with online service games, new or emulated...

They really need to break things down, but then there are so many damn categories at this point! New retail games, old retail games that are backwards-compatible, new online service games, old downloadable emulated games, old downloadable emulated games with new features, downloadable games of old retail titles you could still make backwards-compatible if you want but it easier to just store on your hard drive... Hehe.

Ah well, so long as it doesn't get tossed around in commercials, I'll be happy.

Back