Implications of Importing into the UK (post Lik-Sang)

mzaslam

Newcomer
With the closure of Lik-Sang owing to multiple lawsuits from SONY - there is now a question over how those people in the UK (and possibly EU) who do not want to wait until the UK March launch (if that happens) can import a US PS3.

I like I'm sure alot of other people had one on pre-order from Lik-Sang but with recent events, that option has gone. I am now looking at possibly buying one off ebay but am wondering if we, as individuals, would be subjected to the same treatment as Lik-Sang. What would the implications be of importing a PS3 into the UK?

Agreed - Lik-Sang have been in hot water with the Console Manufacturers for some time now over various products and this may have in turn lead to their eventual downfall.

The purpose of this thread is not to discuss the reasons behind Lik-Sang closing their doors - theres a dedicated thread for that.

I simply want to know if buying off Ebay (and I believe everyone has the right to do so should they wish) or even having a friend send one out from the US, would pose any problems/risks?

Would Sony come down on us, as consumers, like they have done with Lik-Sang??

Please no discussions/comments about buying off Ebay and how its ripping off consumers, etc. As someone said, people pay for what they believe something is worth - period.

MODS: I did post this question in the Lik-Sang thread but didnt get an answer to my question. Hence resorted to starting a new thread.

No one answered because its probably a pointless question. You're asking AFAICT "So if Lik-sang was shut down for shipping goods overseas, will we as consumers also get shutdown?". If customs sees your product is above a certain amount you will pay tax on it. No sony won't go after just cuz you're a consumer. Your thread is pointless, someone shut it down.

Would Sony come down on us, as consumers, like they have done with Lik-Sang??

IANAL.

However - as I understand the situation, Sony were using trademarks to prevent unauthorised sale of Playstation stuff. It's unlikely that individual consumers could be fought in the same way, and even more unlikely that Sony would want to bother.

So if you import a machine privately I suspect there's little Sony could or would do. You would of course, pay all your taxes and import duties though, otherwise customs might want a word with you...

While Sony might have mentioned things like electrical safety, I don't think that was be basis for any of their legal challenges, so I'm not sure what the deal is with that - people import electrical items all the time, so I doubt it's particularly dodgy, so long as you know what you're doing and aren't reselling it.

No one answered because its probably a pointless question. You're asking AFAICT "So if Lik-sang was shut down for shipping goods overseas, will we as consumers also get shutdown?". If customs sees your product is above a certain amount you will pay tax on it. No sony won't go after just cuz you're a consumer. Your thread is pointless, someone shut it down.

Maybe in your eyes it is pointless but it was and is a legitmitate question. I dont want to argue with you and you're entitled to your own opinion.

thanks for your input anyhow.

IANAL.

However - as I understand the situation, Sony were using trademarks to prevent unauthorised sale of Playstation stuff. It's unlikely that individual consumers could be fought in the same way, and even more unlikely that Sony would want to bother.

So if you import a machine privately I suspect there's little Sony could or would do. You would of course, pay all your taxes and import duties though, otherwise customs might want a word with you...

While Sony might have mentioned things like electrical safety, I don't think that was be basis for any of their legal challenges, so I'm not sure what the deal is with that - people import electrical items all the time, so I doubt it's particularly dodgy, so long as you know what you're doing and aren't reselling it.

Thanks. I agree and this was my thinking too. I just wanted other peoples opinions and thoughts on the matter - for some reassurance I guess.

you can freely buy whatever you want from private person to prvate person.
It could be another thing if you bought from an american imort expert shop . Then that shop should be following whatever guidelines and permissions there are. (not you)

so Relax , you will get to import one without a doubt.

You now whats funny, after the PSP japanese launch I sold some japanese PSP's to some official Sony guys in western europe, because they couldnt get one . :p how funny is that....

I simply want to know if buying off Ebay (and I believe everyone has the right to do so should they wish) or even having a friend send one out from the US, would pose any problems/risks?
eBAY aren't allowing PS3's to be listed, last I heard. I think you'd have ot arrange a deal with someone, perhaps from this board, for a private transaction.

no YOU can buy from ebay. they put up a guideline how to post your ps3 for sale.

(something with putting a scan of the receipt infront of the ps3 etc... as proof )

you can freely buy whatever you want from private person to prvate person.
It could be another thing if you bought from an american imort expert shop . Then that shop should be following whatever guidelines and permissions there are. (not you)

so Relax , you will get to import one without a doubt.

You now whats funny, after the PSP japanese launch I sold some japanese PSP's to some official Sony guys in western europe, because they couldnt get one . :p how funny is that....

Now thats funny :D Whats funnier is that Lik-Sang came out and said as much themselves. Talk about being hypocrits!!

eBAY aren't allowing PS3's to be listed, last I heard. I think you'd have ot arrange a deal with someone, perhaps from this board, for a private transaction.

You had me worried there for a second Shifty !! I thought Ebay had gone and changed the rules again ;)

Thanks for putting my mind to rest. I can sleep a little easier now. I didn't think it would affect private sales but wasn't sure.

I will be sure to put up some screenshots once it arrives !!

so you ar going to sell a ps3 mzaslam next month? :cool:

Not bl**dy likely :D

I think I have waited long enough to get my hands on one. I am buying it because I consider myself to be a hardcore (more or less) gamer and because I dont want to wait until the "target" UK launch of March '07.

I will definitely not be selling it or putting it up for sale on Ebay or anywhere else. I'm sure alot of people given the opportunity and funds would jump at the chance of having one come November. I'm not saying I'm rich coz I aint - just a question of priorities ;)

Let me guess though - you were you going to make me an offer I couldn't refuse :)

Back