Gears of War 12min Xboxyde

So I do give credit for the Xboxfans on this board for making me a texture-critic...

You sure that doesn't include people who are just naturally given to using their eyes? Sorry, I mean those who are just very observant.

Thanks for finding the low detail shots anyway. I noticed the low detail sections of certain walls in some of the videos. The rest looks great though.

You sure that doesn't include people who are just naturally given to using their eyes? Sorry, I mean those who are just very observant.

Yea, but I suppose the problem was most prominent in MGS4 and the first to point them out were the usual Xboxfriendly crew. The impression was made by them, hence they get the credit. Ever since then, I've been noticing texture deficiencies whereas before I didn't.

I'm also wondering who gave me a red point for "your mixing low res textures with textured blurred by depth of field. not the same thing." ? (I just found out about this ranking system). Please explain yourself, both in the point you tried to make and for giving of the red point for simply stating an opinion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Low-res textures I can understand, but those sections of extreme bad-UV-mapping-induced stretching in the first and third shot are just lazy.

And anyone who calls this depth-of-field either
a) has no idea what they're talking about or
b) just wants a cheap excuse for giving bad rep.
I don't know what's better :nope:

Well it certainly wasn't me. :| The user CP should tell you who gives the rep, at least it shows up for me.

btw, are those MP shots Rounin?

Yea, but I suppose the problem was most prominent in MGS4 and the first to point them out were the usual Xboxfriendly crew.

Lets keep this thread on topic and open by not go down the road of stealth baiting and off topic comparisons. Posts like this just beg to start arguements. Thanks.

Well it certainly wasn't me. :| The user CP should tell you who gives the rep, at least it shows up for me.

btw, are those MP shots Rounin?

Not for me :). Though I can pretty much guess who gave me the second red point (red-point = rep, I'm guessing) in this thread.

As for if they are from MP, I really don't know, but I would appreciate it if they were. It would be totally understandable to cut down graphics for MP in my opinion. As for finding the screenshots, I didn't really have to look hard...it was in the screenshot link posted. Thanks for the green point though (green point = grep?)
Lets keep this thread on topic and open by not go down the road of stealth baiting and off topic comparisons. Posts like this just beg to start arguements. Thanks.

Its only stealth-baiting if you look at it from a very, very wrong and unintended perspective. I intended it very much as a show of acknowledgement. But either way, I suppose I should thank you for giving me the chance explain myself to the cynical few.

The name of the poster who left behind reputation is only shown to Senior Members and above (essentially 1000 posts + at least 10 points rep). Everything is explained in this neat thread here. If you feel that bad reputation is grossly unjustified or left with comments like "HAHAHAHA", please feel free to contact us.

That said please stay on topic.

Apart from me missing the nuances of the English language, I would have to say that your response was illogical both from your conclusion that it is not the wall because the wall looks great from far (perhaps there are some close shots you have that show the wall looking different?) and from the fact that you never offered an explanation as to what it was, given that you say it is not a wall.

I did however do some more investigating, which ended up confirming what I suspected : textures in this game are not very detailed. The skin on the characters also looks quite bad form certain angles. That said I do like what they did with shading and the clever techniques they did with pre-baked skin folds and shading looks good non-the-less.

This is what I mean by low-detail textures. Some are ground, some are objects, some are wall. Click to expand.

To be honest though, I wouldn't have noticed this if not for the textures in MGS4 and Resistance (though this one has improved) catching my eye. So I do give credit for the Xboxfans on this board for making me a texture-critic...

Not sure who gave you negative rep. But those are screen caps from a trailer. Hardly something you'd use to scrutinize textures with.

Yea, but I suppose the problem was most prominent in MGS4 and the first to point them out were the usual Xboxfriendly crew. The impression was made by them, hence they get the credit. Ever since then, I've been noticing texture deficiencies whereas before I didn't.

I'm also wondering who gave me a red point for "your mixing low res textures with textured blurred by depth of field. not the same thing." ? (I just found out about this ranking system). Please explain yourself, both in the point you tried to make and for giving of the red point for simply stating an opinion :)

I see an awful lot of motion blur in those shots and they are also not direct capture from what we can tell. I'm not really sure what the point is compring this to MGS4 or whatever but I can't say i agree with your findings completely.

Guys, some of those textures do look bad, no point in denying it. At least Epic had the sense not to include them in screenshots, but they can't control reviewers...

Guys, some of those textures do look bad, no point in denying it. At least Epic had the sense not to include them in screenshots, but they can't control reviewers...

His armor does not look like that in the 3rd screenshot. Obviously something is wrong with the screens.

His armor does not look like that in the 3rd screenshot. Obviously something is wrong with the screens.

:LOL: I can't tell if you're joking.... "Something is wrong with the ______! Clearly! I'm innocent I tells ya!"

Shot 1: Probably from single player, first level? That texturing on the base of the pillar is clearly bad.
Shot 3: MP shot because of the weapon (I heard it was MP only? It's a cut down ion cannon from UT2k3/4). That could explain the lower res textures on his own armour and on the ammo box and on the wall he's up against and on the floor holding the ammo box.

Apart from me missing the nuances of the English language, I would have to say that your response was illogical both from your conclusion that it is not the wall because the wall looks great from far (perhaps there are some close shots you have that show the wall looking different?) and from the fact that you never offered an explanation as to what it was, given that you say it is not a wall.

I made no conclusion, I simply pointed out the walls looks awesome, so whatever that is, it's an exception rather than the rule.

And enough with these BS analogue catpured screens with motion blur, here's the level of texture details on the floor and walls in GOW:
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/53569/Gears-of-War/
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/53568/Gears-of-War/
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/53565/Gears-of-War/

These shots were posted weeks ago, funnily enough, I didn't see you commending the excellent texture detail at that time, but you pop out of the woodwork to complain as soon as a rare low-res texture surfaces...

How anyone can complain about texture detail in this game is beyond me, I guess you need something to bitch about when an exclusive turns out this good.

I made no conclusion, I simply pointed out the walls looks awesome, so whatever that is, it's an exception rather than the rule.

These shots were posted weeks ago, funnily enough, I didn't see you commending the excellent texture detail at that time, but you pop out of the woodwork to complain as soon as a rare low-res texture surfaces...

How anyone can complain about texture detail in this game is beyond me, I guess you need something to bitch about when an exclusive turns out this good.

The exception? We found several exceptions, and they've been acknowledged by others, not just me. If you have a problem with them, thats just too bad. Putting up more released screens of walls from far just don't do the job of proving anything, least of all if they're not screens directly captured. I personally already said that this game looks really good, but there are deficiencies that were not shown by officially released screenshots.

Is it that much of a surprise that some people don't keep track of all games at all times? If I see something wrong, I point it out, just like how I did with Resistance's and Lair (yes, Acert, I did). Before you go off on your usual road of shouting obscenities and personal insults, I suggest you take a step back and relax.

Back