Gears of War 12min Xboxyde

Don't you all go spoiling the game for us here down under. We won't get the game till the 23rd :(

got my 'limited edition of XX million' copy preordered and paid up. I'm a sucker for shiny things (although I've noticed the collectors ed' is no longer avaliable for preorder - so maybe it really is limited edition... hmm)

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent been this pumped for a conslie game in years... (im 30 btw).

So much that I shelled out alot of cash for a xbox360 and the new samsung 46" 1080p lcd tv, just for gears! that about $5.5k where I live.
congrats :)

The gameplay certainly looks fun and the whole multiplayer cover and shoot gameplay certainly is a breath of fresh air. That said, the monotonous colour of it does get tiresome after a while as well as the static environment.

yea... I'm not digging the color palette.

i like LP's more vibrant look a bit better.

Yeah hopefully single player will bring some more variety. I really hope for grassy outdoor enviroments aka the original 2004 unreal 3.0 pictures, but I'm kinda doubting that.

There is some more color, there's that tan level, but all these montages dont feature that one, it was in videos 12-15 on gametrailers, all the montages only feature 1-12.

Geez, I'm having an argument on another board with what must be the dumbest kid ever about this game.

First he says it's so laggy, blah blah, gears of lag. I assume he's talking about slowdown, so I say go check out the newest vids they have cleaned the "lag" up. His response? "Yah I know they just pulled the camera back so far to take away from the lag they keep pulling the camera back so far pretty soon you will be shooting at triangles like ghost recon lol".

What. The. F&*%.

He cannot be more than 12. It's amazing.
________
WEB SHOWS

I think gears is a great example for other dev teams in that they took their time with this title.. Many thought it would launch with 360... then in the spring... its now 18 months after we first saw it and it seems polished and ready to go... and I still dont think that it even really takes advantage of the hardware... but is probably the most highly tailored to x360 UE3 title available over the next few months.... LP will be next nitty gritty impressive, but not truly fully x360 title available.

I am honestly beginning to beleive that notwithstanding the claims of turn 10, we wont see a game with the full featureset that the x360 has to offer until maybe Halo 3... maybe... but more likely 2008... Everything else we see will be the best hacks possible utilizing the hardware as if it were a traditional GPU-CPU setup.

I think Heavenly Sword will be the analog on PS3.

This shows that Time and talent trump hardware every time.

I am honestly beginning to beleive that notwithstanding the claims of turn 10, we wont see a game with the full featureset that the x360 has to offer until maybe Halo 3... maybe... but more likely 2008... Everything else we see will be the best hacks possible utilizing the hardware as if it were a traditional GPU-CPU setup.

I said Fall 2007 / early 2008 timeframe back in the Spring-Summer 2005 :p Just based on MS's dev kit strategy -- and their internal reliance on UE3 -- I thought it was pretty clear. While UE3 seems to do wonders for some titles in regards to art (big fan of art/asset quality focused games) I don't think it is an ideal solution for either console for a 1st party with substantial time and budget. Smaller devs, yes. Anyhow...

This shows that Time and talent trump hardware every time.

I thought a number of PS2 and GCN games demonstrated that (not to mention many PS/SS/N64 games that defied their specific hardware limitations). ;)

Forza 2, Viva Pinata and Blue Dragon will probably push the 360 pretty hard, if Banjo Threeie comes out in 07 that would be another one to look out for.

The rest are mainly UE3 based, Alan Wake should look amazing, and Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey will probably be the nicest looking UE3 titles around. hopefully the respective sequals will use a custom designed engine.

I thought a number of PS2 and GCN games demonstrated that
What about Xbox? I think it has some titles that are truly pushing the system and are looking better than anything else on the platform.

Back