Gears of War 12min Xboxyde

What the song by the way? Everybody wants to rule the world? ;)

It's "Mad World", but I agree, it should have been that one. The summary for the marketplace download says that it'll be coming on TV soon, so I'm sure most people will see it.

* Almost completely static environments with poor texture quality

* Low poly - overly normal mapped models - leading to that blurry look of the character details

* Bulky, rigid character models with no dynamic hair or cloth

* Low numbers of characters/objects on screen at one time

* Can't maintain steady fps during firefights

* Amateur effects system other than the blood

* Dreadfully dull gameplay - hide, shoot, hide, shoot, run to next area, repeat

They really screwed themselves with the bogus marketing shots for this game they released over the past year. The detail drops everytime they show new media for this game. And they are still having framerate issues.

* Low poly - overly normal mapped models - leading to that blurry look of the character details

* Dreadfully dull gameplay - hide, shoot, hide, shoot, run to next area, repeat

It may have static environments to a certain degree but so does most games. COD3 has more going on but then its just to add some smoke/fire effects at distance and explosion effects and so on to change that together with more sound effects.

They really screwed themselves with the bogus marketing shots for this game they released over the past year. The detail drops everytime they show new media for this game. And they are still having framerate issues.

First the characters have good level of polygons versus normal mapping, and normal maps dont make objects blurrier, it all depends on the tex size.

Tell me a game where they have dynamic hair and or cloth on more than one character that is not part of an ingame cutscene or a special main character.

I see many PS3 and xbox360 games that still have big fps issues.

Lightning is very good and so is the blood splash effect, theres not really more in the videos to make a final judge about the effects.

Many games have this repetitive style in some parts of the game or the whole game. Examples are DOOM3, HALO1/2, PREY, HL2 and several more.

Cheers!:D

The real question is, is it real time?

Che says:
The game doesn't use any CG or FMV... so yeah, this is real-time engine.

However, playing GoW is like playing a 12+ hour cutscene because the level of detail and texture quality simply never drops off.

Frankie says:

Obviously the action in this trailer is staged for the ad, but the game always looks like that. Not that there's much time for reflective meandering through quiet streets. And yes, there is rain in the game too. AND LIGHTNING!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say its probably in engine, but with LOD on full detail and the video being touched up abit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that this poor guy would be reputation'd into oblivion for this post, even though each point he made can actually be factually conceded going from the media we have access to. Sure, he picked just the bad parts and highlighted them, and also added some subjective valuations, but that alone doesn't make it wrong. It also again shows the fact that the reputation system doesn't reward independent thought, but talent in recognizing the party line and parrotting it. It's the same if someone would dare pointing out the decidedly average nature of the latest HS screenshots of course.
People should remember that the reputation system is there to reward good technical discussion of matters and helpful contributions like translations or explanations, not to punish those who have a slightly different oponion.

For example, this adds absolutely nothing to the thread's topic of discussion:
I can almost imagine you crying when writing these lines.

Damn Gears has really made some people anxious....
If you disagree with the poster, this is a good way to respond:
Polygon Crusher said:
First the characters have good level of polygons versus normal mapping, and normal maps dont make objects blurrier, it all depends on the tex size.

Tell me a game where they have dynamic hair and or cloth on more than one character that is not part of an ingame cutscene or a special main character.

I see many PS3 and xbox360 games that still have big fps issues.

Lightning is very good and so is the blood splash effect, theres not really more in the videos to make a final judge about the effects.

Many games have this repetitive style in some parts of the game or the whole game. Examples are DOOM3, HALO1/2, PREY, HL2 and several more.

And yes, this is quite off topic, but I believe it needed to be said.

I knew that this poor guy would be reputation'd into oblivion for this post

you make good points Peter, but a new user with 1 post highlighting only negative points (from relatively poor quality media) sounds like flamebait, unfortunately.

I agree that polygon crusher responded properly but frankly, the post appeared to just be made for causing a disruption IMO.

I knew that this poor guy would be reputation'd into oblivion for this post, even though each point he made can actually be factually conceded going from the media we have access to. Sure, he picked just the bad parts and highlighted them, and also added some subjective valuations, but that alone doesn't make it wrong. It also again shows the fact that the reputation system doesn't reward independent thought, but talent in recognizing the party line and parrotting it.

Because it is obvious that it was a transparent attempt at a stealth troll. What he did anyone could on any game screen. Find a few easy targets and spew them out.

None of it detracts from the fact that a lot of folks including myself believe this game has the best graphics ever seen in a game.

It also again shows the fact that the reputation system doesn't reward independent thought, but talent in recognizing the party line and parrotting it. It's the same if someone would dare pointing out the decidedly average nature of the latest HS screenshots of course.
I agree with your points on the whole, and certainly your sentiments, but the above is patently untrue IMO, along with the frequent accusations that the mods and all Sony drones that let Sonyites get away with whatever they want. I've criticsed virtually every game that's been posted because I'm a difficult git to please who's happy to dissect every tilte on technical merit, and I've received no negative rep for any of that. Either I've dazzled people with my wit and good charm, or by explaining my viewpoints, the technical discussion you talk about, I've demonstrated I'm discussing and not flame-baiting.

P. Crusher's response was correct, but SebastianJönsson's post wasn't well balanced in it's presentation as Tap In identifies. Consider Sebastian's closing statement
Hardly an argument condisuve to civilised debate! Opening his comments to reference to some of the strengths of GeoW would have set a much better tone, and being less inciteful at the end wouldn't have hurt any either. The whole presentation seemed like flame-bait. Poor texture quality on the environments?! That if anything is GeoW's greatest strength!

I'm not at all surprised he achieved a world record red-square-in-one-post, and I don't think it had anything to do with crossing the line and going against the consensus.

I've criticsed virtually every game that's been posted because I'm a difficult git to please who's happy to dissect every tilte on technical merit, and I've received no negative rep for any of that. Either I've dazzled people with my wit and good charm, or by explaining my viewpoints, the technical discussion you talk about, I've demonstrated I'm discussing and not flame-baiting.
There's no question at all that most of your posts are more well-structured and balanced than that one, but don't you think that there's another reason why you haven't been neg-repped? I believe that seniority and reputation have much to do with it.

I'm not at all surprised he achieved a world record red-square-in-one-post, and I don't think it had anything to do with crossing the line and going against the consensus.
You are probably right. Perhaps I was a bit too eager to find a post which I could use to vent my dissatisfaction with the reputation system ;)
By the way, I was (of course) neg-repped with Sorry, but SebastianJönsson is a troll, don't support him... - So now we have crime by association as well.

Back on topic:
Personally I believe that the game looks very good on the whole. The best part would be the environments and the lighting. The character models and animations are more than servicable but not that amazing. To clarify, they do look good, but as has been discussed in the past, rendering and animating a bald guy in full body armor is one of the easiest ways (technically) to do a convincing human character. The part that could use most work are the effects when structures collapse - the smoke and debris looks quite last-gen if you will excuse the term.

The GeOW world feels like Killzone (PS2), I like it.:cool:

The part that could use most work are the effects when structures collapse - the smoke and debris looks quite last-gen if you will excuse the term.

I agree, esp smoke effects are poor. Smoke disappears within 1-2 seconds.

PeterT said:
The character models and animations are more than servicable but not that amazing.To clarify, they do look good, but as has been discussed in the past, rendering and animating a bald guy in full body armor is one of the easiest ways (technically) to do a convincing human character
I disagree.
The modeling of hairs and human skin is probably better than any other shooter i have played to date. Armor's detail is also insane.
1fv2.jpg

2bt4.jpg

3dj6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The facial skin is quite good, I give you that. The lighting is still a bit waxy and not on the level of FF13, but that's a high target to reach. The ears are very nice from what I can see, lots of polys there (pet peeve of mine addressed). The skin on the arms of the third guy is quite a bit worse tough.
The hair is very short. Thus it can be done realistically with a variety of techniques, e.g. the ones developed for grass (second pic), or even just good flat texturing. Not nearly as hard as longer hair. I realize that there are few of these uber-soldier types running around with beautifully flowing, long hair, but it still should be realized that it's just plain easier to render a stubble.

On armor detail we totally disagree. Even with the risk of sounding like Sebastian, the armor is clearly low-poly with standard normal mapping. There's been nothing insane about that for a few years now IMHO.

Back