Wife had a car accident

linthat22

Regular
I thought she was joking with me when she called me and told me she just got into a wreck. Talk about going into frantic mode.

From the way it seems she was travelling too close to the guy and he at the last moment decided to stop at a yellow light, which in turn made my wife rear end him. Her car is totalled. Both air bags deployed and the front end is all to hell. Her face was all busted up when I got there. Luckily an ambulance was on the scene and cleaned her up. No broken bones, no stitches needed, just needed an icepack.

The cop was generous enough to not issue her a traffic ticket. I shook his hand on that one. I'll take a picture of her car and post it when I go to the wrecker's yard to clean out her vehicle.

Oh yea, the other guy was alright, he told me he didn't even know he was in an accident. Overall I say my wife got lucky.

My wife follows too closely as well; it makes me squirm when she's driving and I'm passengering.

Glad to hear the only serious damage was to property. . .

Wow, glad to read that it sounds pretty trivial, money notwithstanding. Glad, lucky, and hope your luck continues as you get your transportation and medical bills sorted out! oh, man, nice to hear someone take responsibility for this sort of thing, too. All too often you hear a story like this where the other person is some sort of evil villain! 9_9

Good to know it was only material damage. Time to relax.

Yesterday I saw lots of people with car problems because it was raining too strong in a few hours. I was driving wife´s new car for its six month revision and I lost the license plate! Then decided go back home quickly. Never saw something like that strange rain. Thanks god it stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad she's ok Linthat, that's what is important. Cars can be replaced or repaired, people can't always be.

And on a side note, you ALWAYS should give yourself room to stop/maneuver no matter what the circumstances....one of the first rules of defensive driving. When your wife is feeling better please mention that the Dig wanted to make sure she knew that. ;)

Following someone too close is basically trusting them not to drive like an asshat, and there are just too many asshats out there to do that. :???:

My wife follows too closely as well; it makes me squirm when she's driving and I'm passengering.

That is a MAJOR bone of contention between my wife and I. And she remains absolutely clueless as to how utterly stupid and dangerous that is while cruising down a highway at 70+mph.

Glad no one was truly hurt, though.

Absolutely!

Linthat, what kind of car she was driving?

97 Mitsubishi Mirage
crashed-car.jpg

Glad she's ok Linthat, that's what is important. Cars can be replaced or repaired, people can't always be.

And on a side note, you ALWAYS should give yourself room to stop/maneuver no matter what the circumstances....one of the first rules of defensive driving. When your wife is feeling better please mention that the Dig wanted to make sure she knew that. ;)

Following someone too close is basically trusting them not to drive like an asshat, and there are just too many asshats out there to do that. :???:

Digi, thank you, I told her. And I agree with what you said and I've told her to stop following too close. I've put on my imaginary break many times when she's driven me.

Unfortunately this time she was the one driving, because I'm always the driver and she's the navigator.

It's good to hear that your wife is unharmed. A similar incident happened to me when I was a teenager, only I got out of my car and danced over the fact that I had finally rid myself of that awful toyota. The moron in front of me decided to stop at a yield sign before merging onto a highway. Apparently he thought it was a stop sign. It then came to my attention that this was his second accident in the course of two weeks with his new car. His car was virtually undamaged, except for the spare tire case mounted on the end of his SUV which I had dented. I then asked him if he frequented stopping at yield signs, or was it a green light that caused his accident just days ago. To be honest, I don't know other state mandates, but Massachusetts deems every driver that strikes another from behind automatically at fault, regardless of what the case truly was. It's a bogus law which I'm certain many a driver have been screwed over because of, regardless of how idiotic the person in front was.

Are you going to try to repair the car? Your looking at around $4000 or more from what I can see from the pic. I used to work in auto collision in the past as parts manager and asst production manager for 2 different companys. If your insuranse is going to do the repairs then they will more then likey total it. If they repair it, there going to use a front end clip if they can find one ( this is a car in the junk yard that rear is smashed but the front is in good shape so they cut the car in half and they will send the front part to the repairs shop to replace the damaged front part of the car).

Are you going to try to repair the car? Your looking at around $4000 or more from what I can see from the pic. I used to work in auto collision in the past as parts manager and asst production manager for 2 different companys. If your insuranse is going to do the repairs then they will more then likey total it. If they repair it, there going to use a front end clip if they can find one ( this is a car in the junk yard that rear is smashed but the front is in good shape so they cut the car in half and they will send the front part to the repairs shop to replace the damaged front part of the car).

I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you as far as a guess-timated amount for repairs. I decided to forget about the car. It's still at the wrecker yard. They'll probably make some cash off of it.

After doing some figuring we should be able to buy a car outright for 13k and under. So that's the plan (no monthly car payment, YEA!!!!). Here comes the crappy part of dealing with car dealershits though. Right now, I'm doing tons of research to make sure I get a decent deal on the car we want.

Wish us luck :)

I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you as far as a guess-timated amount for repairs. I decided to forget about the car. It's still at the wrecker yard. They'll probably make some cash off of it.

After doing some figuring we should be able to buy a car outright for 13k and under. So that's the plan (no monthly car payment, YEA!!!!). Here comes the crappy part of dealing with car dealershits though. Right now, I'm doing tons of research to make sure I get a decent deal on the car we want.

Wish us luck :)
Do the reaserch to find out what car y'all want and then get the newspaper and find all the dealers in the area that have that type of car. When you find the one you want deal them down and then tell them your paying cash. That alone should drop the amound you pay 15%.

Glad she didn't take any damage, had the same sort of luck last january when I crashed. Made me drive much more carefully and more relaxed since.

Is too closely the old 2 second rule in your mind?

Just curious. I follow too closely probably and so does the wife, but not at highway speed and not at lights. So I am taking a risk of an asshat, but I try to at least diminish regular risks based on lights, dogs/people running out, weather etc...

Only one close call so far and that was actually not because I was following too closely, actually I was the passenger and we were behind this redneck type. Anyway his brake lights were disconnected going 70mph you can imagine what happens. We dodged by on the shoulder but the driver side mirror clipped his window on the sway of the car as we passed. Fairly scary experience especially since he was on a rampage after us b/c our mirror clipped his window (doing no damage at all). We stopped and pointed out that perhaps he should get his brake lights fixed so he checked saw they were broke and suddenly wasn't all indignant :) .

Do the reaserch to find out what car y'all want and then get the newspaper and find all the dealers in the area that have that type of car. When you find the one you want deal them down and then tell them your paying cash. That alone should drop the amound you pay 15%.

Agreed! Be a hard bargainer and never be afraid to have them laugh at you or get pissed off if you lowball them. Odds are, there are a half-dozen dealerships selling the model you want -- and try to keep the missus from obsessing over a certain color -- you can always get it painted to the exact color you want for $500ish if you want! :yep2:

Back