Sixaxis - Shaping up to be sweet!

Trying not to sound like a PR-bot

Kind of funny that this thread comes up just after I read the whole IGN hating on the 6-axis thread :)

Not sure if anyone's noticed but kids when they play racing games,
they tilt their body to where they're streering. That's the one benefit I see from the controller.
At least when my little cousins come over and want to play a racing game, their little tilting
reaction from steering while playing the game would actually help them steer better.

Well the layout remains the same, obviously. Some people like the symmetrical sticks, some don't, but by far the biggest complaint I'd heard previously re. the dualshock's sticks was with regard to its deadzones.

When the first Playstation arrived it had a d-pad, and all the games were controlled using that d-pad. It was located at a place that is most confortable for your left thumb, that's why it is where it is, later on Dual Shock came with analog stick, but at that time the analog sticks were extra not used by all of the games.

By the time PS2 came most games were designed to be played with the analog sticks, but d-pad was still located in the prime spot and it's still going to be. I'm not saying that it is useless because of that, but it's a problem for me. I still prefer DS over other controllers in games that I play with the d-pad, because of it's location, like beat em ups, Tony Hawks and games like that, but those games are in the minority nowadays.

Please Sony release alternative controller for us that prefer that other layout. I'm sure many would buy it.

Kind of funny that this thread comes up just after I read the whole IGN hating on the 6-axis thread :)

Not sure if anyone's noticed but kids when they play racing games,
they tilt their body to where they're streering. That's the one benefit I see from the controller.
At least when my little cousins come over and want to play a racing game, their little tilting
reaction from steering while playing the game would actually help them steer better.
Yeah, this is observed surely by everyone in gamers, and IIRC it's something Sony mentioned they were aware of in PS1's days, with the idea for motion control (allegedly) being around back then. It strikes me as an obvious inclusion for games, because if the game is engaging, you become more bodily involved. Even FPSes at KB+M see gamers twisting the head to look up and over and around objects at the same time as moving the mouse. Tapping in to natural motions is definitely something games should be trying to do, and I'm pleased 2 out of 3 have gone for that in a big way, and even XB360 has the camera now for motion control. The biggest concern is how developers tap into that and whether they handle it wrong making the job of control awkward or too tiring.

Well the layout remains the same, obviously. Some people like the symmetrical sticks, some don't, but by far the biggest complaint I'd heard previously re. the dualshock's sticks was with regard to its deadzones, and thus suitability for FPS games and the like, which appears to have been addressed. As for the triggers, others have shared different views..I think at face value, their inclusion is definitely an improvement.

I'm by no means saying the controller is perfect, but I do think the statement that they've 'fixed nothing' or made no improvements is inaccurate.

You're right. My statement was inaccurate and misleading. I just think Dual Shock was the worst last-gen controller* and when Sony said that the boomerang was not final project I was hoping for further evolution, not come back to the old-not-so-good layout. Of course motion-sensing is really big innovation, but I can't comment on that as it's something you can comment on after playing for a while.

*I have never had Duke controller in my hands, so this one might be actually worse

As someone who complained about the Wiimote, and still does, it has nothing to do with the waggle. It has everything to do with the forsaking of the standard controller layout in exchange for waggle. It's a compromise Sony shows doesn't have to be made, although by the same token, the Wiimote adds pointing capabilities, and forces a rethinking of the user interface. Different purposes, different aims, and ultimately, different complaints. Not trying to derail the thread, but I think the situations are different. But every compromise will meet complaints. PEACE.

im sorry if you guys thought im tryin t otroll- All i was saying was that lots of ppl are skeptical about the controller i was too- I was very disapointed about the rumble feature and at that point i heard nothin good or cool about the sixaxis but at gamerday they showed tons of footage using it and they rocked. The marvel ultimate alliance game looks wicked too with it- It doesnt use the sixaxis to a major point but uses it to a point that it looks like a lot of fun. Thats all. Take of what you will for it.

Back