Resistance: Fall of Man update! BIG READ , come inside!

It's funny that Resistance isn't running on more demo units at Playstation in the Metreon. There's five units, but only one for this game despite the fact that it's garnering all the attention.

Ya it was pretty solid, the weapons sound cool, and seems like story came through somewhat, which is good because gameplay definately isn't the strength in this game AFAIC.
eh?
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745206p3.html
9.0 Gameplay
Experience the best weapons to come along in a shooter for quite some time united with challenging enemies, tight control, smooth online play, and insane boss battles. Seriously fun.
It doesnt have to be innovative gameplay to be strong gameplay. The keyword in that quote is fun. ;)

Ya it was pretty solid, the weapons sound cool, and seems like story came through somewhat, which is good because gameplay definately isn't the strength in this game AFAIC.

I would like to say that I've seen weirder comments, but I'm having a hard time recalling one.

The game is being well received, you honestly think that would be the case if it didn't have good gameplay. The game is fun, it's as simple as that. In the end that's what people play games for and what reviewers look for.

What makes you say that? The impression that I got from the (few) reviews I've read is that the gameplay is its strong suit.

I am a bit surprised by IGN's score (8.5) for both Graphics and Sound though they don't really seem to have any complaints about either Graphics or Sound.:???:

I am a bit surprised by IGN's score (8.5) for both Graphics and Sound though they don't really seem to have any complaints about either Graphics or Sound.:???:

Theres a lot of detail and things going on at once with resistance, but I think gears has raised the bar. Thats not to say the graphics are not impressive for resistance. 8.5 sounds reasonable to me from their perspective.

As for sound, it seems their only complaint was the musical score (and that there wasnt enough of "epic" style music playing), other than that they seem to love the sound effects for the game.

Regarding graphics, isn't it something of a balancing act. In RFOM you don't have a frame drop ever and you have much more action/activity going on. They gave Genji too an 8.5 for Graphics (though I haven't read its review).

I'm sure they took in account the smooth framerate when things got hectic, I think they mentioned it in the video review.

Likely. The peoples on the 1UP show said more or less the same thing...
Yeah, on the other hand I think that might affect all games for every platform and not just resistance. Hopefully that isnt the case, because its really iffy to mark down a game for lesser graphics than another game when the game itself already looks great (especially for launch titles?). But as I said I can kinda see why they would give it an 8.5. Another thing to think about, Should launch Wii games get marked down because they dont look much better than last gen console games?

Kinda OT, but I'm really not into 1up recently. Many of their reviews (not just scores, but the text within) lately seem very shady, and frankly reading them gives me a headache. Fortunately for them they took the NWN review down before it hit press (which could of been even worse if it did so). I wouldnt be surprised if they gave resistance a 7 out of 10 to be honest. That said, there are some things a like about them. Ziff Davis' magazines have good content from media to information so I enjoy getting those, and the 1up show/yours are great to tune into. Basically, I just lost faith in their reviews.

Sorry I had to get that off my chest.

To get back on topic, heres a link to the game brink review...
http://www.gamebrink.com/news/684-Resistance__Fall_Of_Man_Review.html

Another thing to think about, Should launch Wii games get marked down because they dont look much better than last gen console games?

A lot of it has to do with expectations, so I'd say no.

Anyway, like I've said before, there have been far worse launches, game-wise.

A lot of it has to do with expectations, so I'd say no.

Anyway, like I've said before, there have been far worse launches, game-wise.

I honestly think that Wii games should get marked lower personally. While I wouldn't directly compare the Wii Zelda game's graphics to Resistence or Gears, I would mark it's graphics accordingly.

For a Zelda game it looks great so a 9 in the graphics seem fair, but games like the FarCry game for Wii should get a horrible graphics score. For a Far Cry game on a 2006 console it looks bad. I'm talking 6.0 graphics bad.

I guess to each their own. Some people will say defend a certain game that got a 9.0 for gameplay to the death, insisting that its pseudo-innovative gameplay is a strongpoint.

You to each their own, I've played a dozen FPS exactly like this, it brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Maybe it is fun, but I'm getting a huge been there done that vibe from this game, also if the comments on the 1up show are anything to go by, it really is not that much fun.

God forbid I don't praise the almighty Resistance...

Last edited by a moderator:
You to each their own, I've played a dozen FPS exactly like this, it brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Maybe it is fun, but I'm getting a huge been there done that vibe from this game. God forbid I don't praise the almighty Resistance...
It's not about your personal preference for Resistance. It's the context your statement was in. You were talking about the IGN review specifically, and then said the gameplay is not it's strong point when the review itself suggested otherwise.

Atleast thats the way I saw it.

edit:

nice edit. ;)
also if the comments on the 1up show are anything to go by, it really is not that much fun.
It's funny you say that. When 1up's own Luke Smith (a huge fan of halo & gears of war) suggests otherwise as well.
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=2&cId=3154894
#7: Prediction time! A year from now, what do you predict people will see as the better game: Gears or Resistance?

Luke: Resistance.

Shoe: I like the 360 controller better for shooters...

Ryan: Maybe Gears... because at least it's slightly different.

Luke: I like Gears a lot more than I thought I would. A lot more. It's much better than I thought it would be. That said, when I was playing Resistance, I had a pretty big stupid grin on my face the whole time. Lots about Resistance is just right to me.

I'm not saying Luke's opinion is the end of all things, because obviously other people have other opinions, it's just funny you mentioned 1up specifically. Anyways, I'll stop, I've already said what I feel about 1up earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back