PS3 multimedia features confirmed.

I'm a bit surprised IGN (or is it famitsu?) describes both system startup and BR movie playback as taking less than 10 seconds, which according to them is 'fast'.

I guess you people could call me impatient...but upwards of 10 seconds isn't fast, okay? MS advertises vista hibernates in less time than that. :) I also hope they'll make it so I can pop in a movie disc and just have the console play the movie without having to press any buttons or anything, otherwise I'll be a little annoyed. I mean, I'm not inserting a movie disc because I just want to see the console gobble it up through its mailslot. :D I want to watch the movie...

Hopefully they'll smooth out the bumps and straighten any kinks before (european) release, heh.

I'm a bit surprised IGN (or is it famitsu?) describes both system startup and BR movie playback as taking less than 10 seconds, which according to them is 'fast'.

I guess you people could call me impatient...but upwards of 10 seconds isn't fast, okay? MS advertises vista hibernates in less time than that. :) I also hope they'll make it so I can pop in a movie disc and just have the console play the movie without having to press any buttons or anything, otherwise I'll be a little annoyed. I mean, I'm not inserting a movie disc because I just want to see the console gobble it up through its mailslot. :D I want to watch the movie...

Hopefully they'll smooth out the bumps and straighten any kinks before (european) release, heh.

Actually, if you read, you'll have to insert the movie, wait for the PS3 to recognize the movie, then select the movie in the menu and start it, THEN it will take as much as 10 seconds to load. The movies don't play automatically, you have to manually start them from the PS3 menu.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740005p1.html

So the PS3 will be a complete multimedia capable machine, all in one.
Sorry if this old news ,but I know there were still some doubters.
I don't get the "all-in-one" statement. Did I misread the article? Looks like it can play movies and rip CDs (and some dubiously useful "play files off the PSP" feature). But it's not an all-in-one device on these two features alone...

Actually, if you read, you'll have to insert the movie, wait for the PS3 to recognize the movie, then select the movie in the menu and start it, THEN it will take as much as 10 seconds to load. The movies don't play automatically, you have to manually start them from the PS3 menu.
Which, from the sound of it, is at a minimum a 23 second from-boot-to-play time.

Actually that is very similar if not the same as the PSP. If you dont have a game or movie in you have to navigate to it to play. This takes some time (obviously). But the cool part is it does know that you put a game or movie in so it puts you in the right menu.

The XTS (I like that acronym) will auto play anthiing you stick in the drive once the system has been booted up. And sometimes I find that annoying.

I read, thank you. And you're not making any sense, you're not adding anything new to what I was talking about. For example, I already remarked about having to press buttons to actually get the movie started, which you'd seen if you'd read. :p

I don't get the "all-in-one" statement. Did I misread the article? Looks like it can play movies and rip CDs (and some dubiously useful "play files off the PSP" feature). But it's not an all-in-one device on these two features alone...

Ok it doesn't read you books or magazines. My bad.

Ok it doesn't read you books or magazines. My bad.

I think he was referring to multimedia functions such as streaming data to and from a PC. Music, movies, pictures, stuff like that. Acting as a central media hub and client. That was the type of media functionality that came to mind for me when I read the “all-in-one” line. I'm still hopeful that will be included from day one (but signs point to that not being the case).

I think he was referring to multimedia functions such as streaming data to and from a PC. Music, movies, pictures, stuff like that. Acting as a central media hub and client. That was the type of media functionality that came to mind for me when I read the “all-in-oneâ€￾ line. I'm still hopeful that will be included from day one (but signs point to that not being the case).
Yeah, because so far what's 'confirmed' is kinda the minimum bar for a console such as the PS3 and fully expected.

I think he was referring to multimedia functions such as streaming data to and from a PC. Music, movies, pictures, stuff like that. Acting as a central media hub and client. That was the type of media functionality that came to mind for me when I read the “all-in-oneâ€￾ line. I'm still hopeful that will be included from day one (but signs point to that not being the case).

Actually I thinking of the opposite. All in one IMO would refer to having the multimedia capabilities without having to go to connect to PCs. Why in the hell would you want that if I can put all my media on one machine(PS3)? I see having to connect to a PC as a hindrance and an extra unwanted step.

Just wondering, was your mirror a direct translation over? It mentions the bluetooth cell phone headsets being supported as well.

sorry. not a direct translation. its more of a composite of the most recent relevations from several sources. the photos, however, are mirrored from the original Finnish site and all credit is due to them, not me.

What are the chances of MS locking the PS3 out of vista in some form, is this even possible, or legal ?

sorry. not a direct translation. its more of a composite of the most recent relevations from several sources. the photos, however, are mirrored from the original Finnish site and all credit is due to them, not me.

It's cool, no problem. Just one of the settings is kinda under debate as how it should be interpreted at the moment. Guess we will find out one of these days.

Actually I thinking of the opposite. All in one IMO would refer to having the multimedia capabilities without having to go to connect to PCs.

I didn't mean to imply that I would want that (media hub) functionality instead of the features you mentioned. I feel the media hub functionality is what is needed on top of those features to make it an all-in-one device.

Why in the hell would you want that if I can put all my media on one machine(PS3)? I see having to connect to a PC as a hindrance and an extra unwanted step.
The reason I would want that is so that I don't have to bother putting it all on another machine. Say I rip my CD collection to my PS3, as well as download some movies, clips, etc. It would be great to access that content from anywhere on my network, with the PS3 acting as a media hub, streaming the data to any compatible client. Or vice-versa. Lets say I already have all of my media on another device, a PC which I store such content. Being able to get to that content from my PS3 so that I can watch it in my living room, or whatever room I have my PS3 in would be a wonderful feature. Only by having all of the features we've both mentioned, would I personally consider it an all-in-one media device.

Actually I thinking of the opposite. All in one IMO would refer to having the multimedia capabilities without having to go to connect to PCs. Why in the hell would you want that if I can put all my media on one machine(PS3)? I see having to connect to a PC as a hindrance and an extra unwanted step.
By this reasoning, all in one means I can rip my CD collection (yet again) and play Blu-ray movies on this wonder all-in-one media device? (Since the only way stuff got on that PSP or other device is by way of a computer, so it don't count.)

Seriously, I was expecting the thread to be about TV tuners or DLNA stuff. Not ripping CDs and playing Blu-ray. But again, perhaps I'm reading the linked report too narrowly.

Back