Return of Hobbits?

linthat22

Regular
By this article it seems the internet, prescription drugs, and processed foods will do it.]

Evolutionary theorist....expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge [from] The human race .... in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.

It's the bloody internet and hand mixers!!!

There could also be health problems caused by reliance on medicine, resulting in weak immune systems. Preventing deaths would also help to preserve the genetic defects that cause cancer.

So cancer will be gone in the future?!?!? :oops:

What a bunch of bull-ony

The Internet has replaced Money as The Root Of All Evil.

The talk about how modern medicine could spread cancer genes is a pure logical snafu. People dying from cancer for thousands of years hasn't eradicated the disease, that there now exist at least partically effective cures for pretty much all forms of cancer (if it's diagnosed in time) just means fewer people will die from it.

One might want to take note that most cancer victims are elderly people, beyond reproductive age. Thus, them dying wouldn't 'help' us. It would just mean an old geezer or geezette died.

Speculation such as this always gives me the creeps. Makes me wonder if there's a hidden agenda of some kind, and if so, what that would be. (Not THAT hard to imagine, actually.)

Well, it's nice to know in about a thousand years there will be an intellectual upperclass.

Too bad that means we are stuck with all of the dim-wits until then.

I find that unlikely. As soon as such a lower class begins to emerge they will kill themselves with war. Then the elites will be alone again, and not really elite anymore.

Even so, I don't think that human nature is so absurd as to facilitate such a backwards evolutionary step. In all cases I've seen, such mutations and derivatives died off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't expect human race to evolve anytime soon (if no real major planetary/cosmic catastrophe happens anytime soon, that is) at all.

I find that unlikely. As soon as such a lower class begins to emerge they will kill themselves with war. Then the elites will be alone again, and not really elite anymore.

The lower class is already here. It's the elites that have yet to emerge.

When was the last time you drove in rush hour traffic, looked around, and thought "Man, look at all of these brilliant people surrounding me"?

Back